81 years old to 90 0  [0.00%]
91 years old to 100 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best years of your life?, . . .and why< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Brad Eden Search for posts by this member.

Group: Administrator/Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,12:33  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

With all the aging members on board  :;): why not a stupid Wednesday afternoon poll?

What were the best years of your life so far if you had to break it down into 10+- year increments?

And why?

--------------
Sometimes you gotta say the heck with it, grab a springer and just go hunting. Unknown UJ Member

If you feel you will be indignant or become hostile about having your Reply/Posts edited or deleted or Topics locked and removed please do not participate on the Upland Talk Bulletin Board.
Board Guidelines since 2002
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
ChrisS Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,12:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Feels like I'm going through it right now.

Decent job, a good (future) wife, my own house, time to do what I'm passionate about (bird hunting with my dog). What else could I ask for?

Everything's coming up ChrisS!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 3
calgaryrookie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,12:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

This is a hard one. I first voted for 21 to 30... Its exciting, you are starting out your life on your own, no major responsibilities yet, maximum freedom, romance, finding your life partner, new career...

Then I thought about when my boys were small, what joy that brought me, etc, and figured maybe that 30 to 40 slot....

but then I thought about some of the good things today...

I think any period can be... but the thing is, we never usually realize it when we are in it... we are remembering the past fondly, or thinking ahead to retirement, whatever. We need to enjoy and treasure today more..

--------------
A crack house is no place for a kitty!
 Post Number: 4
northern_hunting_mom Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,12:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I picked the 31 to 40 slot because that is my present and future. Even with all the scrapes and dings I've gotten over the last year or three, its still my best time with family and friends being whole and healthy.

And before I'm 40, Amber will have graduated from high school and Kelly going into high school.

--------------
May we someday deserve the love our dogs' give us.

Jennifer
 Post Number: 5
roysetters3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,12:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Good reply CR. My dad taught me to live today like there's no tomorrow and I guess I've thoroughly enjoyed each of the decades. But it's hard to beat right now - retired, gorgeous supportive wife, 6 good setters, about to put away my fishing rods and embark upon a 6 month bird hunting adventure throughout the west.

--------------
Against the Wind: Memories of Days in the Field with Bird Dogs, Camera, and Gun by Roy Pool -- now available on Kindle | iBooks | Nook | Kobo
 Post Number: 6
RookieEP Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,12:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

21-30 for I.  I am 30.  College, money/independence, bought first 'good' car. getting married, buying a house, into birddogs/upland, caught all my salt fish on fly.  
I tell ya the next 10 years have high expectations.

--------------
MAKRescue.org -- German/Pointing Dog Rescue Organization

"Go count some flushes!"
BigJohnSD

I miss the innocent days of mere grabassery.
Sydney
 Post Number: 7
K dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,1:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Like CR, I had to think about this one.  I had a perfect childhood.  Growing up on a dairy farm in a leave it to beaver like family.  My memories are wonderful.  My teen years were also great.  I am thankful that I came out of them safely and was able to make smart decisions as I approached my adulthood, but boy, I had some good times.  I thought about picking 20-30.  That was when I got married and had my babies.  By far the best things that have happened in my life, tons of great memories from that time, but it really was a hard time in my life when I look back.  30-40 was easier.  The kids and there athletics took 99% of my time and I wouldn't have had it any other way.  I must admit, I do miss sitting on the bleachers cheering them on.  My vote was 40-50, where I am now.  Kids are young adults, doing very well, and my life is again mine.  I am so thankful for having a rich life.  Not financially, but just all I am blessed with.  I can't imagine life being any better, but who knows what the future holds.

--------------

Jersey Sporting Dogs - Home of the Braque Francais in America
 Post Number: 8
RASKE Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,1:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm voting 31-40...the first half I did what I wanted when I wanted, then bought a home.  At 35 had my son, and the last half of the decade was an eye opener learning about fatherhood.  Now at 41, I fully expect this coming decade to be even better...time to upgrade the house, involve my son in the outdoors, and enjoy my setters.

Bob
 Post Number: 9
looch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,1:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

11 - 20 for me, but weekends only. I'm 35.

Those weekends were spent at my parent's cottage in the Lanaudiere region (St. Zenon - snowmobile fans will probably know where that is). Summers were spent on my dirtbike - I have a photo somewhere of 17 of us all lined up in our driveway. Fishing for brookies, too. Fall was bird hunting with my friends. Winter was rabbit snaring. Throw in a few deep woods parties here and there.

I'll never forget those times.

--------------
Canada Brews
 Post Number: 10
Ben Hong Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,1:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Brad this is a real poser for a lazy afternoon laying stone walks. I can honestly say the each decade was great for its own reasons, except the first two when I experienced what no adult should have to, as far as family and responsibilities and personal survival were concerned.

20-30 I did what my heart desired; army, university, exciting jobs and exciting women.

30-40. Marriage, babies, a real career and watching our babes grow and thrive.

40-50 saw the semi-independence of my kids, time for further personal interests and, except for the early 80s with its high interest rates, the family matured nicely.

50-60 Empty nest syndrome struck, and was not really prepared, but everything else was ticking over smoothly.

60+ I discovered the Uplandjournal and the rest they say is history.

--------------
I don't hunt until after noon.

If a man says something in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?
 Post Number: 11
browndog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,1:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

71-80 ...

as the song says: you got to play the hand you're dealt ...  so I'm playing these the best I can...

but I reserve the right to change my mind when I'm 81  :D  :D

--------------
We've yet to meet a UJ'er or "lurker" and their dog(s) we didn't like.
Paul and Hoby
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
 Post Number: 12
Don Steese Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,1:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I said 60's because I'm happier now than I've ever been in myl life. Retired with no money problems and a lust for travel that I can readily satisfy. I'm only 63 now, so I guess a lot will depend on my health, but if I'm still getting around as well when I hit 70 as my pal Paul is, I'll be a happy camper.

--------------
OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE DUMBER THAN THEY APPEAR.
 Post Number: 13
Ben Hong Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,1:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Don Steese @ Aug. 22 2007,2:36)
but if I'm still getting around as well when I hit 70 as my pal Paul is, I'll be a happy camper.

Jeez, I've got to start "training" in earnest because I don't want to be constantly saying "wait up Paul" all through Manitoba and Saskatchewan. ???  :blush:

--------------
I don't hunt until after noon.

If a man says something in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?
 Post Number: 14
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,2:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

My youth pretty much stunk – wouldn’t wish it on anyone.  ‘Nough said about that.

My 20’s were dominated by being US Army cannon fodder in the late 1960’s, and then working my way through school, all the way up to a post-doctorate degree while trying to support a wife and two kids.

The 30’s were consumed by trying to learn my trade and to get a practice established, while supporting a now handicapped wife and two kids – basically working 70+ hour weeks.  

By the 40’s, I had learned my trade and had an established practice; and I had to put that to full use to pay for tuitions, weddings, help the kids buy their first houses, etc; and to pay off my land, business debt and other obligations.  Working even longer hours and under even more stress.

When I turned 50, I pull my nose off the grindstone momentarily and looked around me to discover that my kids (though still close to us) were educated and married, owned their own houses and were well on their way; that I had no debt and that I owned everything a reasonable man could want; and that my business had grown into one of the larger commercial firms around here employing a bunch of very competent people and it no longer needed me to keep driving it with my every waking hour and bit of energy.

So…., I took the time to go back to the only good things about my youth – upland hunting, dogs, shotgunning and wild places.  I took a part-time job as a guide, began to travel to various places to hunt, took the time to run my dogs on my land every day, quit serious competitive shooting and started shooting just for fun, etc.  Other than some nasty injuries and one health crisis caused by my own stupidity, my health was good enough that I could hunt hard all day and day after day in any terrain or weather.  I also had the financial wherewithal to do just about anything I wanted.

The 50’s were far and away the best decade of my life so far.

I just turned 61 a couple days ago, so I can’t look back on and comment on the 60’s.  For that reason I voted for the 50’s in this poll.  That said, I hope the 60’s turn out to be like the 50’s, but with more free time to do the things I love.  So far that has been the case.  I suppose I could retire, but I have a terrible, probably unreasonable, fear of poverty (see the first line above), and I come and go entirely as I please, plus make far more money than I am worth, so I’m not rushing into retirement.  The real key at this point will be health.  My relatives are long-lived and seem to stay healthy until near the end, so maybe I’ll be lucky and have another 10, 15 or even 20 years to follow my passion at some level  We shall see.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 15
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2007,3:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Every segment of my life has been better than the prior ones but for different reasons.  If I had the option I wouldn't go back to any of them.

I am in my fifties now and it is great.  I am raising a second set of kids, the first ones turned out great.  We have financial independence, no debt and live a good life within our means.  

I work as little or as much as I want.  I am always returning from one outdoor adventure or leaving on the next.

I have a neuro condition similar to MS that I am told will eventually put me in a wheel chair so I am enjoying life to the fullest of my ability each day and I can honestly say I have been happier in the past few years than at any other point in my life.

Dave

46 replies since Aug. 22 2007,12:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media