Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: IOS 5.1- iPad2, Upgrade System Software?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Brad Eden Search for posts by this member.

Group: Administrator/Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,10:31  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

A few of the apps I have downloaded on my iPad 2 just got upgraded and need to be updated but won't load because they require IOS 5.1 and apparently this iPad2 has an earlier system software.

Can you upgrade the system on an IPad and if so how?

MOONEY WHERE ARE YOU!

--------------
(Self proclaimed) Boots-On-The-Ground Grouse Expert.

Sometimes you gotta say the heck with it, grab a springer and just go hunting. Unknown UJ Member

If you feel you will be indignant or become hostile about having your Reply/Posts edited or deleted or Topics locked and removed please do not participate on the Upland Talk Bulletin Board.
Board Guidelines since 2002
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Briarscratch Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,10:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

It's easy I think. But I'm pretty sure you have to do it through Itunes.

Step by step from CNET

--------------
Surveyor of Thickets
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 3
tmoneysju Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,10:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

everything done through itunes, plug the ipad it and itunes will recognize that new a new ios is available and will give you options to install it
 Post Number: 4
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,11:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I did mine last night. No need for iTunes or plug into computer. I went to the system icon/general/system update. As long as I was connected to wifi life was great.

No problems.

Olaf

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,11:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Olaf @ Mar. 08 2012,11:35)
I did mine last night. No need for iTunes or plug into computer. I went to the system icon/general/system update. As long as I was connected to wifi life was great.

No problems.

Olaf

Thanks man, I had looked in settings and didnt see it.

I am typing this on my iMac while ISO 5.1 loads to iPad2

Must be quite an upgrade since I was "requested" to plug the iPad into a power source since it takes a while. Started out at 20 minutes estimated download time.

I wish the Mac computers were this easy to install new system software. This iMac has some old OS on it.

--------------

Sometimes you gotta say the heck with it, grab a springer and just go hunting. Unknown UJ Member

If you feel you will be indignant or become hostile about having your Reply/Posts edited or deleted or Topics locked and removed please do not participate on the Upland Talk Bulletin Board.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,12:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

for whatever reason, my wi-fi sync to ipad is hit or miss
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,12:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Done deal. Cruised around and all seems to be working. Took almost a half hr. pretty slick.

Tmoney--- is wi-if screwy on all wi-if you have accessed?

--------------

Post Number: 8
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,12:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Brad Eden @ Mar. 08 2012,11:46)

(Olaf @ Mar. 08 2012,11:35)

No problems.

Olaf

Thanks man, I had looked in settings and didnt see it.

I am typing this on my iMac while ISO 5.1 loads to iPad2

Must be quite an upgrade since I was "requested" to plug the iPad into a power source since it takes a while. Started out at 20 minutes estimated download time.

I wish the Mac computers were this easy to install new system software. This iMac has some old OS on it.

If I remember right it was 199 MB.

I had plenty of battery when I did mine so didn't plug it in.  Took 13 min for mine.

Olaf

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,12:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Brad Eden @ Mar. 08 2012,12:21)
Done deal. Cruised around and all seems to be working. Took almost a half hr. pretty slick.

Tmoney--- is wi-if screwy on all wi-if you have accessed?

my ipad connects fine to any wi-fi networks, for some reason the sync doesn't always work...

itunes sometimes can find the ipad but can't sync, sometimes it works

haven't investigated enough to figure it out
 Post Number: 10
Peterson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,2:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Took me 10 minutes, when I turned it on the screen was heavily pixelated and everything normally black was green.   I just returned from the Penius bar where they replaced it, can't fault their customer service.  But I love how every problem with an apple product is "rare".

--------------
This Machine Kills Hipsters
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,3:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

There was a good 5 minutes after the initial download and when a warning came up to wait while IPad restarted. I kept wanting to fool with it cuz screen was black and I thought it had locked up. Eventually an apple symbol appeared and a totally different load bar appeared. That finished and I was good. So, for those upgrading OS on iPad or iPhone be patient and let it finish.

--------------

Post Number: 12
Briarscratch Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,3:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Do you notice any difference?   I've been holding off on upgrading both my phone and the pad.

--------------
Surveyor of Thickets
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2012,4:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Briarscratch @ Mar. 08 2012,3:12)
Do you notice any difference? I've been holding off on upgrading both my phone and the pad.

Not really. I read what the upgrade added to system before downloading and most reference was for iPhones capabilities. Just a few mention of iPad; better camera software, more languages, fix to some battery issues. Biggest thing is more and more apps wont upgrade without IOS 5.1 installed. Just b patient and wait for all loading to finish.

Hey, I just started fooling with he Pages app. Cool- can create documents and email as a Word doc and open on iMac. Can also email to myself s PDF.

--------------

Post Number: 14
trev Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012,12:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I upgraded both my iPad2 and my iPhone tonight.  Both are functioning as they should.

The first attempt with the iPad didn't take for some reason.  Retried it a little while later and only took 10-12 minutes to download. All is well in iLand.
 Post Number: 15
Peterson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2012,12:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I'm trying it again with the new ipad, hopefully the display survives.

--------------
This Machine Kills Hipsters
14 replies since Mar. 08 2012,10:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media