Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grass Awns, AGAIN!!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RuffChaser Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012,6:02  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

So a few weeks ago I was running the dogs on some public land to get them on some ditch parrots. My younger setter Chip was scratching at his ear during the run and kept at it for a few hours. We tried to flush it out but we could see something in his ear using our home scope. As we suspected it was a grass awn/seed.

We took him to the vet and they got one out but there was another one they couldn't get. Chip was off to the Dermatology Vet a few weeks later to see what they could do. We just got back a few hours ago and several hundreds dollars poorer. His eardrum was punctured and he has infections in both ears. He will be on meds but should be fine assuming the infections clear up. The field where it happened is the same field where his father, Haze, got a seed in his eye last year about this time.

Man I hate those damn grass seeds!! It sucks because it's close and there are wild birds there so it is nice for training but it's costing me hundreds of dollars going there. Looks like we'll be avoiding it for a while so Chip can heal. This is the last thing we needed when I just lost my job.

--------------
RuffChaser
"Trust the dog!!"
‘There are two kinds of hunting: ordinary hunting, and ruffed grouse hunting,’ A Leopold
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Setter Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012,7:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I too hate the damn things and thats why I've developed several very detailed threads on them over the years. Sorry to hear about Chip. You probably recall our dogs have some similar breeding and your dogs are beautiful.

Feathers was covered with them after hunting a spot that held a lot of Grouse. I never went back to it. We literally went over her with a fine toothed comb and did a thorough search of her eyes, mouth, ears, chest and feet. She later went to her food dish and stood shaking over it. Looking in her throat revealed two foxtails that were lodged way back on both sides of her throat. Thankfully, she let me remove them with a long handled hemostat.

The next night while we were brushing her teeth we found one that had migrated so far into her gum line that only the filament was exposed. There were horror stories in those threads of foxtails migrating and doing serious damage.

Best To Chip And Your Job Search,
Ron

--------------
Give me a Partner, an English Setter, a nice handling SXS, a fine October day and I will ask for no more...

Semper Fi: Marines and Dogs

"One day they're gangly, harem-scarum puppies; the next, they're all heart and hunt. The day after that, they're grey in their muzzle, and I am desperate to make the night hold back a little while longer." - Randy Lawrence
 Post Number: 3
SARGENT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012,8:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

On my last hunt out west last fall we hunted a new field that was full of mean seeds. A week later an ENT pulled this out of my eardrum:

Two months later my 3 year old ESS died from a suspected mean seed in his lungs.

I wont be going back that field again.  Mean seeds suck.
Hope your pups ears heal quickly.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012,9:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

That's tragic and so sad Sargent.

Sorry,
Ron

--------------
Give me a Partner, an English Setter, a nice handling SXS, a fine October day and I will ask for no more...

"One day they're gangly, harem-scarum puppies; the next, they're all heart and hunt. The day after that, they're grey in their muzzle, and I am desperate to make the night hold back a little while longer." - Randy Lawrence
 Post Number: 5
Brad_J Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012,9:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

That is tragic.........how sad.  My oldest pointers dam died from the same thing back in '06. She got it in her lungs as well while hunting in Nebraska.  It's something that most people never even think about (including myself).  People need to be aware of the potential dangers of mean seeds and how to recognize it.

--------------
Kyle Smith  (1992-2007)

If you're a veteran, thank you for my freedom.
 Post Number: 6
merimac Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012,9:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have had this with several of my dogs.  You know when they get one in their ear right away because they shake their ears.  I always carry ear wash.  Flood the ear canal and hope they shake it out.  If that does not work in a day or so i Take them to the vet.  They put the dog under and pull it out.

Ben

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 7
jeffstally Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2012,11:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

What do the plants look like?

--------------
2 red setters, 2 springer spaniels
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012,1:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Jeffstally,

This is a good time of the year to make birddoggers that might not be aware of these dastardly things just how bad they can be. Here are links to the threads I mentioned:

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....t=59910

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....t=67252

Here is some info along with some pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtail_(diaspore)

While I’m at it, I’ll add this one on another threat (GDV,Torsion, Bloat) to our buddies for those that might have missed it. A lot of research went into some of the info here:

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....n+bloat

Ron

--------------

Post Number: 9
grousepoop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012,6:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Is the Foxtail the only plant that is this aggressive in spreading seed.  Are there other plants that do this?
 Post Number: 10
shags Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012,7:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

More info

http://www.essfta.org/Health_Research/grass_awn.htm

http://www.meanseeds.com/
 Post Number: 11
Dan Voss Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012,7:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(grousepoop @ Aug. 16 2012,5:31)
Is the Foxtail the only plant that is this aggressive in spreading seed.  Are there other plants that do this?

Canadian wild rye...is an awn to be concerned about as well. It's found in nearly every CRP grass mix.

--------------
"I make up for my lack of talent, with an absence of effort." The Common Man
 Post Number: 12
RuffChaser Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012,8:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

OK, my dogs are still alive so I don't feel so bad now. I can't imagine losing a dog to one these things. I am so sorry.

Canada Wild Rye is the plant that has caused the problems for my dogs. The field I ran them in is DNR land that has some very nice habitat and it's full of Canada Wild Rye. The vet was very surprised to see it. The Vet felt it was more of a prairie thing and something you'd see further West. I explained native grasses are used in conservation work and it made sense to her then. I have been diligent to flush the dogs eyes after the incident with Haze last year but now I may be flushing their ears.

--------------
RuffChaser
"Trust the dog!!"
‘There are two kinds of hunting: ordinary hunting, and ruffed grouse hunting,’ A Leopold
 Post Number: 13
merimac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 16 2012,10:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Here is one for you.

http://birddogdocschronicles.blogspot.com/2008....al.html

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 14
VTuplander Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2012,8:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(merimac @ Aug. 16 2012,10:25)

Wow that is nasty. Never heard of AH before. It has been seared into my brain now. When I do get a dog I will know what to look for. Great info for sure.
 Post Number: 15
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2012,10:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I'm another grass awn veteran, and a lucky survivor.  My gsp Dasher got one of those, developed pyothorax.  She had to be opened up from stem to stern to clean out the resulting infection.  Dash is now 11 and looking good heading into this hunting season.  Several thousand $ spent on that one at the Iowa State University Vet Hospital.  And that was the year after Diesel's ACL surgery, herniated diaphragm repair, etc.  Those people are miracle workers, but they need to name a wing in their hospital after either me or my dogs.

--------------
Larry Brown
19 replies since Aug. 15 2012,6:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media