Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: abnormal wear on a SP 686?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,1:43  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

a friend of mine just purchased a brand new SPI sight unseen from a reputable online dealer and we just got around to shooting it today for the first time.

before we started I noticed it had some marks or the receiver where the edge of the barrel slightly marred where it touched when closed shut.

it also has good scrape on one of the lugs ( I think its called a lug) where the finish and possibly some metal was scraped away.

after I pointed this out and wizzed in his corn flakes we decided it best not to shoot the gun without further consultation.
I think its fine, but then again I have two 686's and neither have these marks. other wise the gun seems perfectly fine.

another point of interest was that he had ordered a 20 gauge with 30" tubes, but the barrel was marked 29.5"? I didn't think this was a big deal until I saw the marks. now I wonder if its case of improper fit and this isn't the original barrel..

he is going to call around for some second opinions tomorrow or monday, but in the mean time hopefully some the experts here can shed some insights and tell me I am paranoid.

Post Number: 2
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,9:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

do the #'s match between the receiver and the barrels?

was it a custom ordered gun, with pick your own spec's from a custom shop?

The 30's I had added don't match the receiver # but are marked 30"

the 29 1/2's might be a Euro barrel set

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 3
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,12:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hunshatt @ Mar. 04 2012,9:04)
do the #'s match between the receiver and the barrels?

was it a custom ordered gun, with pick your own spec's from a custom shop?

The 30's I had added don't match the receiver # but are marked 30"

the 29 1/2's might be a Euro barrel set

good idea hunshatt,  the numbers do match.

its not a custom gun, just a regular SP1. but with 30" tubes.

I have a 12 gauge SP1 with 30"bbls and its marked 30"
this is getting mildly interesting. ???

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,12:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

some hack put it together before you got it?

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
 Post Number: 5
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,12:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

he ordered it over the phone, so who know who had their greasy fingers on it before he got it. the dealer is very reputable however, so much so I don't want to type his name up on this thread.

do you think those marks are out of the ordinary? should the gun be sent back or worked on?

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,12:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'd call teh dealer, see what he has to say.... maybe a few bucks in yur buddies pockets... I don't think I'd be worried about shooting it...

--------------
 Post Number: 7
stephen brown Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,12:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Send in the warranted/registration card and contact a licensed Beretta Repair Center. When I doubt sent for repairs.

Left lock lug looks as if the barrels where closed to action when the the top lever was in closed position (locking conical where extended). Closing action when the locking lugs are extend normally will mar both of them. Take a look shell extractor outside edge that face the breech. In the right light you should see a polish area where the extractor pushed the locking lugs into the breech face. If this isn't the culprit, slowing closing the action and noting if the barrels/extractors are contacting the lugs. Maybe the lugs are a tad too long.

The mars on the breech, doesn't look like normal 68x wear areas. Maybe my guns just don't show that wear. Maybe this gun is from a Chianti run.
 Post Number: 8
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,12:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hunshatt @ Mar. 04 2012,12:46)
I'd call teh dealer, see what he has to say.... maybe a few bucks in yur buddies pockets... I don't think I'd be worried about shooting it...

thanks hunshatt,

I think he is more worried about long term wear than getting some money back. this thing is going to look pretty ugly by the time he retires it.

If I told him that those marks were normal I am pretty sure he wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Post Number: 9
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,1:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(stephen brown @ Mar. 04 2012,12:48)
If this isn't the culprit, slowing closing the action and noting if the barrels/extractors are contacting the lugs. Maybe the lugs are a tad too long.

when the gun is almost all the way closed the bottom of the lugs come in contact with the very top of the shell extractors, close it a degree more and it locks closed.

this contact is the same for my 12 gauge SP1 also. ???

however by watching it close I can tell this did not cause the abrasion on the upper face of the lug. so I think stephens analysis is spot on.

8 replies since Mar. 04 2012,1:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media