Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: LC Smith 20 gauge by Marlin, Price check< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Virgil Kane Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,8:34  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Does anybody have an idea of what these LC Smiths by Marlin are worth and who they were made by? I'm looking at a 20 gauge but don't know anything about them

Thanks
Virgil

--------------
Character, it's what you do when nobody is watching
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,9:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The sideplated (NOT sidelock) sxs were made by Fausti.  Other than different wood and different treatment to the receiver (case colored rather than coin finished and engraved), it's essentially the same gun as Fausti's Athena d'Italia.  I think I've seen some for a bit under $1,000.

The newer smallbores (28's and .410's) are made by Zabala in Spain.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 3
quailguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,3:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I went down practically at a run when I heard a local gunstore had the "new" Marlin LC Smiths.

Left about as fast as I went, but was shaking my head. Marlin (read Remington) really missed a chance to do something worthwhile. Gunstore owner was sore as hell, he said he was sending them all back to Marlin.

--------------
Quailguy
 "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
 Post Number: 4
Virgil Kane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,5:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(quailguy @ Mar. 02 2012,3:49)
I went down practically at a run when I heard a local gunstore had the "new" Marlin LC Smiths.

Left about as fast as I went, but was shaking my head. Marlin (read Remington) really missed a chance to do something worthwhile. Gunstore owner was sore as hell, he said he was sending them all back to Marlin.

That bad? I've never seen one in person.

Virgil

--------------
Character, it's what you do when nobody is watching
 Post Number: 5
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,5:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've seen a few and they're not that bad. It's just that they have NOTHING in common with the original LC Smith. These guns are sideplated boxlocks with full pistol grip/beavertail stock configuration. Pretty sure you can't get double triggers either.

I applaud Marlin for trying to give us another choice with an affordable double, but it's a travesty to call them LC Smiths.....

Bryan

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
 Post Number: 6
pa'tridge hunters Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,6:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I bought one in 07. It was a nice gun. I couldn't do much with it. Cindy shot it alot better than I did. Just traded it for a B Rizzini.
 Post Number: 7
quailguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,11:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Bryan Lee @ Mar. 02 2012,5:55)
I've seen a few and they're not that bad. It's just that they have NOTHING in common with the original LC Smith. These guns are sideplated boxlocks with full pistol grip/beavertail stock configuration. Pretty sure you can't get double triggers either.

I applaud Marlin for trying to give us another choice with an affordable double, but it's a travesty to call them LC Smiths.....

Bryan

Yes, I agree, if the add had said Fausti boxlock I would't have spent the gas $$.
Nothing wrong with being a Fausti, but it sure isn't an LC Smith.

--------------
Quailguy
 "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
 Post Number: 8
Fishnfowler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2012,1:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I handled one in the shop and was disappointed.  The one I held felt clunky.  It certainly didn't appeal to me.

--------------
You look like a chukar hunter, you have big thighs and a small head.
 Post Number: 9
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2012,8:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

IMO, they're OK for the money--especially when you can find them now, with prices a lot lower than where they started.  (Same is true of the S&W doubles.)  But the only thing Elsie about them is the name.

--------------
Larry Brown
8 replies since Mar. 02 2012,8:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media