Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Selling guns locally, Safely selling firearms.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
Lars Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,12:34  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(brymoore @ Mar. 01 2012,12:27)
I can understand your concern for kooks in Maine.

Oh thats right you are familiar with Pa'tridge Hunter and Brad. :D

--------------
That I am a saner, healthier, more contented man, with true standards of life for all my loiterings in the fields and woods, I am fully convinced. -John Burroughs (1837-1921)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,12:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I am like you Lars, don't want the gun in my name. I have sold some at gun shows to people that looked 'stable'. It is just the risk you take.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 18
Dave Rose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,1:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hi Lars. I've sold a few guns locally, from an add I put in the paper. Basically what I have done is draft a sales receipt with buyers name, address, drivers license, and their signature. As well as my signature.  Not sure if it would stand up in court but figure it's pretty good proof if the gun shows up in a crime some time down the road of when and who I sold it too.

--------------
Free Advice. Just ask.

"If our small brown bird ever knew what shenanigans it was responsible for among these men, I have no doubt it would convulse with laughter. And rightly so. And I would join in, were I not so much a part of it myself" - Gene Hill
 Post Number: 19
Dave Rose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,1:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

ps - receipt is basically "gun sold as is, no warranty" with make, model, cal / ga, any other info, and serial number.

--------------
Free Advice. Just ask.

"If our small brown bird ever knew what shenanigans it was responsible for among these men, I have no doubt it would convulse with laughter. And rightly so. And I would join in, were I not so much a part of it myself" - Gene Hill
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,1:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Dave Rose @ Mar. 01 2012,1:19)
Hi Lars. I've sold a few guns locally, from an add I put in the paper. Basically what I have done is draft a sales receipt with buyers name, address, drivers license, and their signature. As well as my signature.  Not sure if it would stand up in court but figure it's pretty good proof if the gun shows up in a crime some time down the road of when and who I sold it too.

Thats good free advise Dave. Glad I asked. Thanks!!

--------------
That I am a saner, healthier, more contented man, with true standards of life for all my loiterings in the fields and woods, I am fully convinced. -John Burroughs (1837-1921)
 Post Number: 21
whdtt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,4:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Lars, there is something now called Armslist.com.  Its basically a Craigslist for firearms/ammo/etc.  I've sold a couple guns off of it, and its been easy (just like Craigslist).  There are a couple online templates for Bill of Sales for firearms, basically just an "as is, no liability" thing.  I bring two copies, i can forward you the BOS that I use if you'd like.  

There is a subsection for every state.  http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/maine
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,4:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Davin that would be great.  Bloodhound has one he made up that he said he can send me also but I would like to see what they have on-line for Maine.   Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Brad Eden Search for posts by this member.

Group: Administrator/Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,5:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You worry too much. Just give them to me and stop hand wringing.

--------------
(Self proclaimed) Boots-On-The-Ground Grouse Expert.

Sometimes you gotta say the heck with it, grab a springer and just go hunting. Unknown UJ Member

If you feel you will be indignant or become hostile about having your Reply/Posts edited or deleted or Topics locked and removed please do not participate on the Upland Talk Bulletin Board.
Board Guidelines since 2002
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 24
valuman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,8:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've bought guns from some kooks in Maine.

--------------
I hunt because it keeps my passions alive, my memories fresh, and my senses alert even as my beard grows gray, and because I fear that if I stopped hunting I would become an old man, and because I believe that as long as I hunt I will remain young.
                                                              William Tapply
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,8:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(valuman @ Mar. 01 2012,8:23)
I've bought guns from some kooks in Maine.

Yes there were several on site in Scarborough selling them.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Tony Cote Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,8:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Well it is a federal offense to sell a firearm to someone who can not legally posses it.  In the world we live in today, unless you truley know the person you are selling to, I would insist on a transfer with a FFL.  If the buyer has an issue with that,  probably not worth the risk.  (side note, the feds watch the firearm ads in Uncle Henry's fairly close to determine who is "running" an unlicensed business.  A few years ago they pinched a guy selling a handgun to a non-resident out of Uncle Henry's.  Turned out the buyer was a federal agent).

Lars,  I would just list them on gun broker and ship to the buyers FFL, or haul them all down to Kittery.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,8:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Tony Cote @ Mar. 01 2012,8:32)
haul them all down to Kittery.

Thats crossed my mind Tony and if I lived closer I might have just traded them all in for that once in a lifetime gun.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
bobman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,8:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

as long as hes a resident of Maine, and probably a certain age if a handgun, you can sell him anything and theres no law affecting the sale between private parties
 Post Number: 29
valuman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,8:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Lars @ Mar. 01 2012,8:40)

(Tony Cote @ Mar. 01 2012,8:32)
haul them all down to Kittery.

Thats crossed my mind Tony and if I lived closer I might have just traded them all in for that once in a lifetime gun.

I have just the gun for you Lars. What are you offering in trade?

--------------
I hunt because it keeps my passions alive, my memories fresh, and my senses alert even as my beard grows gray, and because I fear that if I stopped hunting I would become an old man, and because I believe that as long as I hunt I will remain young.
                                                              William Tapply
 Post Number: 30
Tony Cote Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 01 2012,8:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(bobman @ Mar. 01 2012,8:41)
as long as hes a resident of Maine, and probably a certain age if a handgun, you can sell him anything and theres no law affecting the sale between private parties

While it is true that a state resident can sell a handgun to another state resident in a private sale in state with no ffl transfer involved, you still cannot legally sell to a convicted felon.  So unless you really know.....
34 replies since Mar. 01 2012,11:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media