Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Choke Choice Feedback?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bird Buster Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,2:20  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

:D All this new gun purchase has me considering. Have two 16 gauge Ugartecheas currently. Both 16 gauge but similarities end there. One is single trigger semi beavertail and choked SK1 Sk2. Other is double triger, splinter forearm and choked IC, IM.

Looking at maybe a 20 in SK1 SK2 set up or IC Mod config. Just can't decide. Just looking for experience and feedback on those two different choke choices? I hunt a variety of covers and hunt quail, WC, grouse and occasional western phez. Thanks for the help. Just really wonder if there is enough difference between these two set ups to really matter.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,3:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I would go with a sk1 and sk2. Sk2 is essentially a light mod.  Can handle almost any game with the two skeet chokes. There is not much difference between the two options you mentioned.  With most of your gunning being birds that are traditionally shot close would go with the sk1-sk2.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 3
gspspinone Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,3:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I always opt for open chokes.   Sk1 lm (sk1/sk2) would be my go combo for any gauge.

--------------
What could be more innocent than gazing at a lovely gun in front of a cheerful fire, accompanied perhaps by a dog snoozing on the hearth rug, some tasty tobacco smoldering in a good pipe, and a glass of peaty whisky at your elbow?" -M. McIntosh
 Post Number: 4
LostintheOzone Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,9:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

.005" and .015", what ever that works out to be. If you happen to be a AA class shooter you can just use full choke for everything.

Jim

--------------
I don't shoot steel. That's an eastern bloc thing.
 Post Number: 5
gunsrus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,9:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(LostintheOzone @ Feb. 28 2012,9:11)
.005" and .015", what ever that works out to be. If you happen to be a AA class shooter you can just use full choke for everything.

Jim

Yup .
 Post Number: 6
steve s Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,9:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Why not take one choke from each combo and go SK1/MOD?  That covers about all my shots.
 Post Number: 7
16GaGunDog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,10:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

have you been assured by a professional that the guns/stocks fit you?

if not, i would start there before putting another penny into another gun or lamenting about choke.  if you have, then fret away about choke.
 Post Number: 8
sneem Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 29 2012,12:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

They'll all work. Having done quite a bit of patterning with one specific SxS looking for the "best" load, I found the ammo or load is what really determines pattern. Changing load and reloading componants, you can get them to shoot just about any density you want.
Nothing wrong with SK1/SK2. It'll work on anything except the longest pheasant shots. Being a little more open would benefit in the grouse/woodcock covers, but you could shoot IC/Mod just about anywhere and be a happy man. As I get older, I fret less about the "right" choke. Center them and they go down as long as you are shooting at reasonable distances.
 Post Number: 9
tut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 29 2012,7:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(gunsrus @ Feb. 28 2012,9:32)

Jim

Yup .

times 2.
 Post Number: 10
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 29 2012,9:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(tut @ Feb. 29 2012,7:22)

(gunsrus @ Feb. 28 2012,9:32)

Jim

Yup .

times 2.

Those constrictions equal a skeet and a LM-M.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
9 replies since Feb. 28 2012,2:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media