Find Upland Journal on Facebook
Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sidelock Restock Project, glutton for punishment?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Lyco Setter Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,10:00  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a chopped (smurf LOP) and cracked buttstock on an early 1900s Baker.  It's tight and in sound order, sans the wood. I found a place online and had a 98% inlet buttstock and fore-end done for it for $170 shipped. I got plain walnut as the gun wasn't anything fancy in it's day. I briefly toyed with the idea of removing the pistol grip as I prefer the straight grip, but the trigger guard that extends into the grip is curved and I don't want to get into any metal work.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a very good book on restocking a sidelock shotgun to use as a reference. I guess I'm worried the most about getting sharp lines.

This shows how much was chopped off the stock.

--------------
A man is not complete until he's married, then he's finished.
-borrowed
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,10:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Professional Stockmaking by David Wesbrook.  It is out of print but can still be found. Try Abe books or other used booksellers.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 3
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,10:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

why not turn it into a round knob or POW.. the best of both worlds.. and you wouldn't have to mess with the metal

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 4
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

Location: Southern Illinois, waiting to shoot, no wait, waiting to practice
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,10:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

What Hunshatt said....

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
 Post Number: 5
wkburns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,11:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Get yourself some inletting black from Brownells or Midway USA, also a set of palm chisels for inletting. I use a series of small blocks and dowls of wood in different sizes to attach sand paper to for fine work. Remember to make full even strokes. Bad lines often come from putting too much pressure on the front half of your sanding block when making a stroke. Keep the pressure in the middle. One other thing, leave the dremel or power tools in the drawer. All you are doing is asking for trouble. The stock will be the easiest part of the job IMO, even on a sidelock. Forearms are a bitch as too much material removed they look awful, too little removed and the gun wont lock up. Good luck and keep us posted. There are a few on here such as Bosco and Too Dogs who can give you some good advice when you run into issues. I don't get much time to work on stocks these days since I am busy at work, but it is an enjoyable hobby and nothing as rewarding as shooting a bird with a gun you stocked.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
franchi Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,11:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hi:

Years ago, I decided to stock a side lock 16 gage.  I went on Shotgun world and asked for advice.  The very best advice that i got was, "pray"  After I got done with the job, I knew what the man was thinking when he offered that advice!

In any case, I got the job done and it looks great.

Getting all four sides to fit without any gaps is very difficult!!! It will take you much time and worry.  If you make ONE cut that is too deep on one side, then you must adjust the other sides and the tang to compensate!

I just have to finish the cheek piece and the gun is finished.  However, I have done 6 rifle stocks since I put the shotgun on hold! Lol I just have burned out on that project! After i finish the wo rifles that I am now stocking, I must finish the shotgun.

My advice is to send it out to a stock maker to have him inlet the head of the stock ahd the forearm!  Bite the bullet and pay him whatever he wants!  It will be cheap compared the Hell that you will experience.  If your are a masochist, then go for it! Lol

Good luck,

Franchi
 Post Number: 7
bosco mctavitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,2:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(RUFUS80 @ Feb. 27 2012,10:10)
Professional Stockmaking by David Wesbrook.  It is out of print but can still be found. Try Abe books or other used booksellers.

That's the book...but good luck finding a copy.  

Franchi's advice could be spot on depending on your mindset, although the speed it happens could be either a hell to be endured or a joy to be savored and remembered when you are carrying that gun years from now.  It's a lot of work, but perhaps ignorance of that is a blessing.  
My only advice is to go slow and any time you feel like you would be better off with a power tool to put it away for a few days and come back to it when your head is clear--a dremel or other similar tool will turn that semi-inlet into firewood in seconds flat.  Oh, and think before you cut!

Could you post a picture of the top tang of your gun, right around the safety lever?  Does it form one long taper to the rounded end, or is there a "swell" at the end of it like on a lefever?

--------------

Please consider our early successional habitats before not printing this email.
 Post Number: 8
Lyco Setter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,2:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Thanks for the book recommendation. I don't think the tang of that action has a swell. The new stock is inlet for the action, but I'm sure it'll require proper fitting. There is extra wood. I plan on only using hand tools. I'm even considering not installing a pad, or doing a leather pad. Lots of enthusiasm, we'll see how it holds up when i'm hours and hours into it.

--------------
A man is not complete until he's married, then he's finished.
-borrowed
 Post Number: 9
PWZ Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,2:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(bosco mctavitch @ Feb. 28 2012,2:24)
That's the book...but good luck finding a copy.  

http://www.amazon.com/Profess....9356155
 Post Number: 10
bosco mctavitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,3:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Huh.  Last time I looked I couldn't find a copy.  Maybe I can convince Timmy to get me a Christmas present.

--------------

Please consider our early successional habitats before not printing this email.
9 replies since Feb. 27 2012,10:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media