» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: the right 28 for the 28 experience.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,7:59  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

more tongue less cheek...

Im looking for a steel shot friendly 28 gauge O/U preferably with 30" or 28" bbls. my price range is around $1500.

It also has to be on 28 gauge size frame, to lighten it up a bit. I have heard many manufacturers put 28 gauge barrels on 20 gauge frames which can make them heavier, I would like to stay away from these if possible.

ruger red label seems like an obvious choice but I want to explore other options.

Post Number: 2
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,8:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Given the quarry, why steel shot friendly?? For barn rats and opossums get a single shot 410.

The BPS Browning in 28 is probably steel rated. It's a pig of a pump gun but the rats won't mind.

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 3
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,8:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

This is a bizzare post.

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 4
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,8:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Bryan Lee @ Feb. 27 2012,8:10)
Given the quarry, why steel shot friendly?? For barn rats and opossums get a single shot 410.

sorry, I forgot to mention I would also be using it on release site pheasants where non toxic shot is mandatory (I would use Hevi shot most likely) and some of the shooting ranges in wa are making steel shot mandatory soon.

I would also be using this hopefully lighter gun for hike-in trips for blue and spruce grouse or any other adventure where I will be putting some serious miles in and want to spare my torn rotator cuffs.

Post Number: 5
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,8:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 27 2012,8:15)
This is a bizzare post.

I was just trying to put a different spin on the "what 28gauge should I get thread" after going through  page after page in the search function I noticed a few redundancies popping up.

Post Number: 6
rich223 Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,8:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a 28 ga cz sxs it weighs about 6 lbs or a little less I like it. dont know if your looking for sxs or o&u. but for less than $1,000.00 new sure hard to beat.
 Post Number: 7
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,9:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I was leaning towards an O/U.

I always liked the looks of the CZ SxS's, especially the bobwhite but the longest bbl's they come with are 26" and I prefer around 30. they look like a great value.

Post Number: 8
Curt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,9:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If weight is your big issue take a look at the Benelli legacy or Ultralite in 28ga. or maybe the Franchi AL48/28 ga. although I don't think they have 30" barrels.  Any of these three should be light enough to be carried all day by anyone.

--------------
"A man's ego is a helluva weight to be carried by his dog"
 Post Number: 9
WI Brookie Guy Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,9:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Beretta Silver Pigeon & Ruger Red Label are over/unders build on a scaled 28 gauge frame.

--------------
Gerard Haines

Post Number: 10
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,9:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Chinook, if you don't mind the looks of the Browning Cynergy, there are some good deals out there on those.  The Lightning Feather is on a 20ga frame, but the test gun I had still only weighed 5 3/4 with 28" barrels.  Shot the heck out of that gun at skeet and came very close to convincing myself I needed to own it.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 11
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,10:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm no expert on inexpensive bird guns, but I know that Beretta makes their 686 series on a "baby" frame at various levels of finish (grades).  They are durable, light guns; and I think they are steel shot proof.  Dunno if they are in your price range.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 12
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,10:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

whats your weight requirement? you might find a 28 on a 20 ga frame perfect.... pretty sure a beretta with 28ga tubes on a 20 frame is right at 6lbs (+/- 2-3 oz) then you could add a set of 20ga barrels... My 20ga 686 with 30" tubes is 6lbs... 3" and steel shot compatable

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 13
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,10:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Greg & Hunshatt are pointing you in the right direction.

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
 Post Number: 14
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,3:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hunshatt @ Mar. 02 2012,10:19)
whats your weight requirement? you might find a 28 on a 20 ga frame perfect.... pretty sure a beretta with 28ga tubes on a 20 frame is right at 6lbs (+/- 2-3 oz) then you could add a set of 20ga barrels... My 20ga 686 with 30" tubes is 6lbs... 3" and steel shot compatable

no requirement just more light =more better.

I have a 686 SP in 20 gauge with 30"bbls and love it. I can easily carry it all day with minimal discomfort. I have heard rumors that unless you get 686 on the baby frame -more money than I want to spend on a Western Wa field gun- a 28 gauge 686 on a 20 gauge will be heavier than just a 20 gauge. if this is the case it would seem there is not much benefit and all handicap. I think it would be wiser to purchase a full fledged 28 gauge on a 28 frame.

that being said I have never handled the less expensive beretta 686 or the "baby frame" 28 gauge so I am merely going off my own addled hypothesis and would love to be set straight if i am wrong.

Larry, although I love my beretta's the cynergy is looking pretty good. from what you wrote it sounds light enough to fit the bill. plus its as ugly as sin which will compliment honorable field scars and mistreatment nicely.
not to mention the price is right. I hate spending a lot of dough on a field gun that will spend most of its days in wet & salty western Wa.

Post Number: 15
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2012,8:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

The Cynergy is plenty light, Chinook.  I'd definitely advise the 28" barrels.  Mine handled very well.

I had a very fancy Beretta, 687 Silver Pigeon V 28ga.  I'm not sure whether that gun was on a 28ga frame, but it also had 28" barrels and was about 3 ounces heavier than the Cynergy.  Both nice guns, and you can certainly get less expensive Berettas, but that one cost about twice as much as the Cynergy.

--------------
Larry Brown
16 replies since Feb. 27 2012,7:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media