Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thoughts on engravers, Angelo Bee< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rich223 Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,2:20  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Has any one here ever heard of an engraver named Angelo Bee? If you have what do you think of his work?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Hillhaven09 Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,2:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have seen majority of his work done on SKB o/u's.  Have not had the chance to see it in person and am no expert in engraving, but I like the looks of some of his work. It sure adds to the price of the gun

--------------
POINTERS SUCK AND TIM RUINS EVERYTHING!
 Post Number: 3
StormsGSP Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,2:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

One of the most famous engravers of all time. Did a lot of Browning Superposed shotguns. I've heard he just put his name on a lot of stuff, which isn't hard to believe given the number of Bee guns you see out there. With that in mind, the quality varies. If it was really done by him, it is going to be very nice, and priced accordingly.

--------------

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.  -Henry David Thoreau, Walden
http://alexinnz.wordpress.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 4
MikeH. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,2:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I had a K-32 that was engraved by Angelo B..

It was a nickel colored receiver with a gold quail on the trigger guard. The rest of the  gun was game scenes. It was not the deep relief stuff, but yet not the very light Italian style that I believe they call Bulino style.

I liked it. It got a lot of comments on the skeet and sporting courses. It probably helped that it also had a very nice piece
of English walnut on it also.

At that time he would never do two guns the same. So yours will always be unique.

JMHO

Mike
 Post Number: 5
bamboozler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,3:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've seen his work many times.  I've attended the Winter Antique Arms Show in Vegas numerous times in the past and he was usually there displaying his work, maybe still does.  To my eye, he does very nice work and is an accomplished engraver.  Most of what I've seen done by him has more gold than what I prefer, but that's just a matter of taste and what's asked for.

Here's a link to a Browning .22 rifle he did that is sans the gold that I think of when I hear his name:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/BROWNIN....0219736
 Post Number: 6
Samuel Hoggson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,4:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I met him at the Glastonbury gun show(s) many years ago when I lived in CT.  He is a real gentleman.  I think his work is top notch.  He has engraved a variety of firearms, notably Winchesters and Colts.  He does indeed like to use gold.  Mostly, I don't care for gold on firearms, but his work is an exception.  It is never gaudy.  

Sam
 Post Number: 7
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,6:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Yes,. I've heard of him.  He is one of the true master engravers working in this country.  Here is his web site:  http://angelobeeguns.com/

Mr. Bee did my 42.  I'm not usually a fan of gold inlay on working guns - they look like they might belong to Liberace.  However, his work on my 42 is just superb and a really fancy 42 doesn't seem as inappropriate as some guns.  The doves on one side and the quail on the other side look like they are going to fly off the gun - not even close to the cartoon birds you see too often with inlays.

There are other good engravers, but he's right up there with the very best of them in traditional engraving.  However, if I was looking for really top bulino work, I'd look elsewhere.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 8
WyomingArt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,7:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

He was at Las Vegas in January at the Beinfield show with some nice Winchesters, and is approachable, a gentleman and a fine artisan.

I don't own examples of his work, can't afford them, but know people who do. They are some of his biggest fans.

--------------
“Best of all he loved the fall … the fall with the tawny and grey, the leaves yellow on the cottonwoods, leaves floating on the trout streams and above the hills the high blue windless skies. He loved to shoot, he loved to ride and he loved to fish.”
 Post Number: 9
budrichard Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,10:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Angleo Bee has been trading on his time at FN for many many years.
I have seen a lot of Angelo's work done in the US, much more than I would have liked to have seen.
I personally think his 'style' hasn't contributed much to the value of many firearms. I usually cringe when mention of any of his work comes up.
The 42 pictured is certainly attractive but a little too ornate for my taste.-Dick

--------------
http://www.model21shotgun.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 10
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,10:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(Hillhaven09 @ Feb. 27 2012,2:31)
I have seen majority of his work done on SKB o/u's.  Have not had the chance to see it in person and am no expert in engraving, but I like the looks of some of his work. It sure adds to the price of the gun

SKB offers a special one of a kind engraved shotguns by him.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
9 replies since Feb. 27 2012,2:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media