Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thinwalls: Briley versus Mike Orlen, For the new "chukar" gun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
caleb Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:04  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

My incoming Remington 58 16 gauge is going to need some choke work - the full choke needs to loosen up quite a bit.

I'd like to have it threaded for choke tubes if possible.

I've worked with Mike Orlen in the past and been happy with his work and his prices.  Briley has a good reputation too, but their prices are several times what Mike charges.

Any thoughts on whether Briley and/or their chokes are worth the extra money in a relatively inexpensive gun?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Dunno know anything about Mr. Orlen's work one way or the other.  FWIW, I've always used Briley (even on some very valuable guns) and been happy, even though they are not cheap.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 3
Mike Connally Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have used both Mike and Briley. I like that Mike is inexpensive and fast. Briley is expensive and takes much longer. Mike has done good work for me. Briley has done good work for me.

--------------
"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact"

__
"Hunting ain't a competition. You ain't trying to win any prizes. Hunting is watching the dog work, and taking it easy, and shooting just enough, and walking slow, and enjoying the day.

A man, well, he'll walk right into Hell with both eyes open. But even the Devil can't fool a dog.
 Post Number: 4
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,8:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I can not speak to Mr Orlen's work but I can speak to Briley's.

I must ask a question...  who has been doing this longer?  Who designed the chokes for Browning ?  Who has converted the larger number of guns to thin wall ?  

Perhaps all this is moot.  If the $$$ are the key then the decision is made.  If not, then I would suggest a call to Briley and see whats up.  Then make a decision.

I, like Greg, have had a bunch of work done by Briley.  The reason for that is that they have been available to me.  This work has gone from chokes to sub gauge tubes to relaying ribs on SxS's, to re boreing new fixed chokes, to backboreing and forcing cones and more.  

I have never had a bad bit of work from them.

If you want a name to talk to at Briley PM me and I will hook you up.....

JMHO

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
 Post Number: 5
gunsrus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,8:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have never used Briley . Mike is only a couple hours away . I have been very happy with Mike's work , prices and turnaround . Can't say I have ever heard a bad thing about Mike Orlen .
 Al
 Post Number: 6
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,8:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Mikes done a few things for me.. Briely 1 project... and never again...

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 7
FlyChamps Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,8:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've had each do one job for me.  Mike's was good work, cheap and fast; Briley's was good work, expensive and slow.  Guess who'll do my work in the future.
 Post Number: 8
charlo slim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,8:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I don't think you would need to go to thin wall tubes for the 58, should be plenty of meat for installing standard tubes.

--------------
Joe

I cried because I had no shoes,
until I met a man who had no dog.
 Post Number: 9
bosco mctavitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Mike should do just fine on that gun since the barrel walls will be plenty thick.  Briley is for when the barrel walls aren't thick enough for anyone else to do it.  
They seem to do good work most of the time although there are plenty of Briley horror stories out there from people I know and trust...but they are the only game in town for thin barrels if you just have to have screw-ins.  I used them once to install choke tubes on a gun that no one else could thread, the work was good, communication was excellent and turnaround was about 2 weeks.

--------------

Please consider our early successional habitats before not printing this email.
 Post Number: 10
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I cannot speak for Mikes works as I have not had him do any for me. I have heard good things about him though.

I have had Briley put thin walls in 4 guns for me. All were doubles and I have had no problems and have been happy with their work.

Olaf

Post Number: 11
Tony Cote Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've had work done by both.  Been very pleased with both.  All things being equal, Briley does around 4000 guns a year (so they told me once).  I'm sure there are some who have had issues with them, but for me they are the measuring stick.
 Post Number: 12
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I think you are overthinking the whole choke thing. Have the barrel opened up to 12-17 thou and forget about it. If you miss it won't be about choke. If you are on, you will kill any bird you shoot at.

Tubes are a crutch. You will never use the IM or the Full tubes or realistically the CYL/SKT tubes. Which leaves you with an IC/LM/Mod option which will perform handsomely on most of the shots you will ever encounter. I'd lean more to the LM side or tighter. If you can't kill those birds with those chokes you don't have the gun in the right place to begin with. Besides, a simple choke ream will save you a bunch of cash, especially on that particular gun.

Go with LM.

JMO

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 13
Fishnfowler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 26 2012,9:26)
I think you are overthinking the whole choke thing. Have the barrel opened up to 12-17 thou and forget about it. If you miss it won't be about choke. If you are on, you will kill any bird you shoot at.

Tubes are a crutch. You will never use the IM or the Full tubes or realistically the CYL/SKT tubes. Which leaves you with an IC/LM/Mod option which will perform handsomely on most of the shots you will ever encounter. I'd lean more to the LM side or tighter. If you can't kill those birds with those chokes you don't have the gun in the right place to begin with. Besides, a simple choke ream will save you a bunch of cash.

Go with LM.

JMO

Totally agree with this, but would go with Mod or IM if hunting wild chukar.

--------------
You look like a chukar hunter, you have big thighs and a small head.
 Post Number: 14
Catfish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,10:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Unless you're going to use it for turkey, forget choke tubes, open it to .010 and shoot it for anything flying.
 Post Number: 15
Sarge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,3:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

My experience with Briley ....
They could'nt fit thinwalls into a WIN 23 and a Parker Repro ( barrel walls too thin ) I then opted for reaming to more open chokes, which in hindsight was the better option !!!!
However, while they had the Parker Repro I asked for a diss-assemble of the action and clean. The guy/gal tasked with this job badly marred the top tang and 2 trigger plate screws and it would seemed slipped with the screwdriver and scratched the case colours on the top tang and gouged the adjacent poly wood finish.
Just sayin ...
35 replies since Feb. 26 2012,7:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media