Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: sighting in a new rifle load< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
polecat Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,6:38  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a someone reloading some new rifle loads for me.Looking for a few opinions. I have a box of 4 different head spacings(5 rounds each).Would it pay to shoot a cold shot with different ammo first before shooting a group of 5. then let cool? Shoot a cold shot then another 5 ect.to get the best load or just shoot the five and pick the best one?

--------------
We are not here for a long time, so we may as well have a good time...

"Breathe,Breathe in the air. Don't be afraid to care,"PF
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,6:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I clean the gun then fire a fouling shot, then shoot the group.  I do this for each group. Takes a lot of time,  but it eliminates variables.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 3
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm not an expert on this, Bob, but I once had a rifle that would throw cold bbl shots to one POI and warm bbl shots to a different POI - not a good thing to say the least.  

So, I'd say that if your rifle is one of those that likes to throw cold bbl shots to a different POI than warm bbls shots; AND if you are primarily concerned with hunting accuracy (where any shot will likely be a cold bbl shot), you should do all of your shooting from a cold bbl - tedious as that is.

On the other hand, if you don't have that problem with your rifle (if it throws cold bbl and warm bbl shots to the same POI), then it's a non-issue - just shoot 'em and be done with it.

Likewise, if you hunt with a clean, oiled bbl, then you shoot all your sight in shots the same way (yes, it's tedious).  But if you hunt with a dirty bbl, then fire a fouling shot before shooting for POI.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 4
polecat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Good points Greg. I was under the impression that most cold shots were a little different than the following warmer barrel shots(with a regular hunting barrel).Another good point about starting a hunt with a fouled barrel.I would do a sight in after arriving at a destination with a clean barrel.Then the second shot would be a warm barrel.I guess most folks shoot factory ammo with a dirty barrel and not worry about it.I like long range shooting and am looking for a little more accuracy at 3-4 hundred yards.I will try the long distance cold fowled barreled shots for the new Best group.

--------------
We are not here for a long time, so we may as well have a good time...

"Breathe,Breathe in the air. Don't be afraid to care,"PF
 Post Number: 5
Virgil Kane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,9:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Confine your shooting to 3 shot groups and this will give you a better indication of the hunting accuracy of your rifle. Very seldom will you get more that 2-3 shots at game while hunting. I have several rifles that will group 3 shots within an inch when firing the shots from a cold barrel. I have other rifles that will shoot those same groups for 10 shots in a row.  These are hunting weight barrels not varmint weight/target barrels. All depends on if the bedding was done  right and if the barrel was straightened at the factory or was straight to begin with.

Virgil

--------------
Character, it's what you do when nobody is watching
 Post Number: 6
WindyHills Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,9:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Guns are different, but I usually have been able to get a three shot group off without much drifting.  The gun I have the most problem with heating up is a big bore lever action,  2nd and especially the 3rd and subsequent shots will drift,  as the barrel heats up quick!  

I have always thought of a clean barrel as a real wild card on accuracy for the first shot.  Even if I am not taking any shots to sight in a hunting gun, I'll fire a fouling shot at something safe before I take it hunting, if I can.
 Post Number: 7
George Foster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2012,6:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

A good rifle that is bedded properly will generally shoot foulers to the same general POI as the loads you shoot for group.  I always shoot two foulers to start when I am shooting for groups size or working up loads.

--------------
Good Hunting,George
6 replies since Feb. 26 2012,6:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media