Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 4<<1234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thunder Rolls, Maybe no more?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
Steelheadfred Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:32  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(bosco mctavitch @ Feb. 25 2012,8:22)
Fritz, the break on your gun sounds very similar to what happened to my 20ga Beretta a few years ago.  I posted the results here:
LINKY

I'm willing to bet a real pro could fix it very well and you'd never know it was there.
Failing that, a new stock made by a friend, that fits you to a T...well, that's priceless.  A shotgun stock is like a good rifle scope, that's why a lot of people advise you to spend more on glass than on the rifle.  Same here--a good shotgun is worthless if it doesn't fit you so to me, assuming you start with something that will last, the relative cost of the gun vs the stock is irrelevant.

Well that's the first option, Del was not happy there was not any glass done in the first place.

I don't know which way I'll go, I'll get a hard  quote for all three  options.

--------------
(Ted Moore @ Sep. 04 2013,12:35)
You should be thanking me for introducing you to a gentleman's gundog. Dogs that hunt for and with their masters, as a team.   And don't forget Uppie for setting you straight on the path to "Upland Tradition".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
Grouseman_1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Sounds like it just needs a SS nut, bolt and a couple washers...  :;):
 Post Number: 18
fuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,9:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Its time to double down.  A gun with that history and memories deserves the nicest 4x wood money can buy!!  Get another 20/30 yrs and the cost of the stock is peanuts compared to the memories!

Its only money, you can make more!
 Post Number: 19
Cooter Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,9:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(fuess @ Feb. 25 2012,9:07)
Its only money, you can make more!

Now you're the kind of financial planner I wanna have!

--------------
"The worst poverty anyone can have is a poverty of mental interests."  Ernest Hemingway

Blow up your TV
Throw away your paper
Go to the country
Kill you a grouse

"I remember thinking the flush had sucked all the air out of my lungs."  DTB, 1-25-14
 Post Number: 20
Iver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,12:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

This seems like a great gun, and really is a part of you.    Further you aren't tired of it....

I would do like Charlie Sheen and go for the Bi winning solution.

Winning: Have Del build you a stock.   He is a friend, and a skilled friend, and it is always good to give back.

Bi Winning: Your has more personal memories.

A replacement stock is just so... so ... everybody.

Pay off the difference by eating only sardines and crackers for lunch... and sell your desk chair.. it's shouldn't be used anyway, right Tim?

Iver.

--------------
bosco mctavish - Posted on: Aug. 31 2012,5:08    
Stuff it, glass-boy--I want to hear from the grouse-dog people.
 Post Number: 21
Grouseman_1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,10:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Grouseman_1 @ Feb. 25 2012,8:59)

Well maybe you just need some glue and wood screws...

http://sparetimeactivities.net/StockBadRepair.htm

In all seriousness I would buy the replacement stock and have your friend tweak it.

Mike
 Post Number: 22
dogrunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,10:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Grouseman_1 @ Feb. 26 2012,10:02)

(Grouseman_1 @ Feb. 25 2012,8:59)

Well maybe you just need some glue and wood screws...

http://sparetimeactivities.net/StockBadRepair.htm

In all seriousness I would buy the replacement stock and have your friend tweak it.

Mike

I vote for that fix also, good looks and Cheap.  :laugh:
 Post Number: 23
pa'tridge hunters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,11:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

"Duct Tape, the handy man's friend". If you decide not to go that route, I'd go with the custom stock. I like the idea of leaving the tubes alone, but down the road you'll wish you had blued them.
 Post Number: 24
Bonasa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,11:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

From the way you describe the break, I don't see why it can't be repaired.  I've been led to believe that these repairs can make the wrist even stronger.  I've seen pics of some very bad fractures that were repaired.  VandenBrand does top quality stock work, so I'm surprised you had an issue, but my guess is that you are a bit tougher on guns than the average person.
Hope it works out, and I wouldn't feel bad about putting a few bucks into a gun like that, especially when you consider that the craftsman is basically doing the work at cost for you.

--------------
"The gun is seldom responsible for the misses. The fault lies with the chap who is looking down the barrel."   Burton Spiller
 Post Number: 25
Curt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,11:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Buy a 12 gauge BUL, by your own admission you shoot a 12 ga autoloader better. :;):

--------------
"A man's ego is a helluva weight to be carried by his dog"
 Post Number: 26
Hammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,11:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Fred,

Have you talked to Dave VB?
I have to believe it's work he would stand behind. Maybe the original stock is salvageable.
I agree with Bonasa, the work he has done for me has been 1st rate. And he has a name to protect. i have to believe he would want it right too.

--------------
"Rules? Who has rules for hunting? I'm like a Marine when I'm out grouse hunting. Kill'em all and let God sort it out!"

BIGSP
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,11:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hammer @ Feb. 26 2012,11:54)
Fred,

Have you talked to Dave VB?
I have to believe it's work he would stand behind. Maybe the original stock is salvageable.
I agree with Bonasa, the work he has done for me has been 1st rate. And he has a name to protect. i have to believe he would want it right too.

Del is going to try and fix it, he wont charge me to fix it beyond his cost of materials, he is going to glue it, pin it, and glass it, what ever that all means.

The thought crossed my mind to send it back to DVB, it cost me 220 bucks two years ago. If you want my reasons not too, just PM me.

I just don't want it to fail mid season, but if it does, not big deal, I'll eat chicken.

--------------
You should be thanking me for introducing you to a gentleman's gundog. Dogs that hunt for and with their masters, as a team.   And don't forget Uppie for setting you straight on the path to "Upland Tradition".
 Post Number: 28
Hammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,1:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

KFC's right on your way home. Handy. :D

Let Del have the repair. You have a backup. Doesn't last, restock it. My $.02.
Good luck.

--------------
"Rules? Who has rules for hunting? I'm like a Marine when I'm out grouse hunting. Kill'em all and let God sort it out!"

BIGSP
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012,10:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Last night I entered the offices of DC Whitman Gunsmithing, in his possession and after I departed with a fair number of C notes, was Thunder Rolls, my B. Rizzini with a new custom stock, forend, and blue job. Sonic cleaned, greased and ready for it's rebirth tour.

I can't explain how greatful I am to Del for his hard work in replicating my gun. It looks amazing and I put it to the test today after work. It's almost too nice to carry in the woods, but I did not spend all this money just to look at it in the safe.

I had about an hour and a half to hunt tonight, Bella ran a pretty good clinic in our first spot, and thunder spoke and birds rolled. Three for Three in the first spot.

Off Face view of the stock. We made sure to find a blank that had lots of very straight grain through the wrist.

Put May down in the next spot, she worked over that dog too, moved a couple birds and killed the only one I shot at. It feels like lightening in my hand. I've got the same gun, same weight as a back up that I've shot all year and shot very well to say the least. I can be a bit mental about my shooting and tonight was a nice way to fall in love all over again!

The Face Side of the stock with my fourth bird.

It's perfect, Del is the man. My good camera is in Jr.'s truck but I'll try and post som better than cell photo's next week.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 10 2012,10:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

that is just AWESOME...... I'd be proud to have that one in my safe.... congratulations

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
46 replies since Feb. 25 2012,7:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 4<<1234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media