Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thunder Rolls, Maybe no more?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Steelheadfred Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,7:39  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

In 2003 I moved "up north" I was 25 years old and engaged to be married that summer. I immediately befriended Bryan Bilinski of Field Sport LTD in my home town, this relationship developed into a win win situation, I got to hang out and learn from Field Sport and my hotel earned a nice group of customers from the shop, including during the Shooting Schools where I would meet instructors such as Michael MacIntosh, Chris Batha, Dr. Hilt, Doug Tate, and others. Also I immediately became good friends with the Gun Smith, Del Whitman, of now DC Whitman Gunsmithing.

That  2003 season I went around the woods with a 20 gauge Beretta with 26 inch barrels that barely scratched six pounds on the scale. I did this cause, well that's what the books said would make a nice grouse gun. Needless to say I shot a few Doodles and even a few grouse but nothing that led me to believe these grouse were anything but un-killable for the most part.

The following summer after spending many evenings at  the local gun club; I came to learn that I shot my 12 Gauge Auto far better. One day at FieldSport I mentioned to Bryan that I was going to save my money up and get a Rizzini some day. Well long story short, Sig was no longer going to import B. Rizzini's and I had a bonus that just showed up,  and had no business doing what I did (we were saving for a house that summer, a real honest down payment at a time of ZERO down and 5n1 interest only arms). So I forked over $1850.00 for a Sig B. Rizzini 12 gauge with 28inch tubes, that was the third single most expensive thing I had ever purchased, behind the diamond ring and my truck. Del bent and padder her up for me, work I never paid for from what Bryan called "a great deal."

For the last 8 seasons that gun, now to be known as "Thunder Rolls" amongst my merry band of hunting partners and idiots. Thunder Rolls has logged a lot of miles, she has shot a lot of clays, killed a lot of birds in many different states. Oh along the way I've I paused to flirt with other guns, none of which have worked as well. I've had some great shooting streaks, killed Ruffs, WC, Pheasants, Huns, Sharps, and Quail with her, some ducks, some wild Squab. I carried it to kill four birds and win Bella two RGS gun dog of the year trophy's.

Well in 2010 I found a crack, Fieldsport sent it off to David Vandenbrant as Del Whitman was on vacation, Vandenbrant did a great job of glueing it back together, but he did not do good enough job for the abuse I give it (this is nothing personal). It lasted 1.5 seasons and the glue was gone.
I took it to Del today, to see his new baby and figure out this crack, have it sonic cleaned and reblued. The crack,well it was bigger, right in the wrist, and when Del took it off  the action, put some pressure on it, it flaked right off, the whole left side broke off. He claims he can fix it, but no promises. I'm sad.

I have some options: One of which is a generous offer from Del to make me a stock and fore arm at a greatly reduced rate, he claims he can match the stocks weight and demensions perfectly. I would have the barrells reblued and walk away with a fine gun, hand crafted by a very good friend. Cost would push buying one of the same guns used, this is on the extreme buddy deal.

I can call Rizzini and order a new stock and forearm, have Del cobble them into the same demensions but no promises on weight. Most likely $500-600 bucks.

I'm sad tonight, what would you do? Money is a factor, not because I don't have it, but becaues having a stock made might cost as much as a new gun.

--------------
(Ted Moore @ Sep. 04 2013,12:35)
You should be thanking me for introducing you to a gentleman's gundog. Dogs that hunt for and with their masters, as a team.   And don't forget Uppie for setting you straight on the path to "Upland Tradition".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Hillhaven09 Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,7:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

With the history that you have with it, I would have it restocked. That is a hell of a price and you will still have your favorite gun

--------------
POINTERS SUCK AND TIM RUINS EVERYTHING!
 Post Number: 3
Cooter Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,7:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Personally, I get a little sentimental about guns and the memories they contain.

I'd bite the bullet and have the stock made.  While that was being done a good strip and clean of the action and a mechanical inspection.

However, I'd leave the barrels as is.  The wear and signs of use are what make the memories.

Thunder would roll again and still have the memories, it'd have the same dimensions and handling qualities, and it would have the additional appeal of having a stock made by a friend.

I think you'd appreciate Thunder Version 2.0 even more.

--------------
"The worst poverty anyone can have is a poverty of mental interests."  Ernest Hemingway

Blow up your TV
Throw away your paper
Go to the country
Kill you a grouse

"I remember thinking the flush had sucked all the air out of my lungs."  DTB, 1-25-14
 Post Number: 4
Jay Barrows Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,7:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Fritz,

Forget the cost of a new gun vs repair. A few years from now the dollar difference will seem insignificant. Do whatever it takes to keep your SIG shootable.

Jay
 Post Number: 5
Tim Frazier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,7:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Well, from the sounds of it you need to fix it, replacing it just doesn't seem like an option for a gun that has meant so much to you.  I would probably take the practical approach and order new wood then have it customized to replicate the old one.  5-600 seems like a small price to save a trusted tool.

Weight should be easy to manipulate.  You probably can even request they send a lighter set, they know the difference.

--------------
"Not all who wander are lost." Hoppie 14'
 Post Number: 6
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If it were mine I would fix it. From your story it sounds like the gun and you have made some memories. Just fix it, you'll be glad you did.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Un loaded the guns 6lbs 13oz, the comb is a bit trimmer than usual.

--------------
You should be thanking me for introducing you to a gentleman's gundog. Dogs that hunt for and with their masters, as a team.   And don't forget Uppie for setting you straight on the path to "Upland Tradition".
 Post Number: 8
brymoore Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Think of this problem as an opportunity to buy a BUL.

--------------
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first. Ernest Hemingway
 Post Number: 9
Hammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

No brainer. Give it to Del. It's a win win.

You might wanna rethink the stout loads you are running through it too.

--------------
"Rules? Who has rules for hunting? I'm like a Marine when I'm out grouse hunting. Kill'em all and let God sort it out!"

BIGSP
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(brymoore @ Feb. 25 2012,8:05)
Think of this problem as an opportunity to buy a BUL.

I have a 20 gauge auto, weighs  the same as BUL, plus my friend Scott, a die hard BUL man, still searching for a stack barrel to meet the BUL's magic, why? Well you and I both know the answer.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hammer @ Feb. 25 2012,8:07)
No brainer. Give it to Del. It's a win win.

You might wanna rethink the stout loads you are running through it too.

I don't shoot it at Clays anymore, I have a back up just like it, only a tad heavier and a C hair different comb diam. If it can't handle a box a season of 1 1/4oz pheasant type loads, well I gots other problems.

I think working on not falling once a day while hunting is a better idea.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Hammer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

What caused the crack?

--------------
"Rules? Who has rules for hunting? I'm like a Marine when I'm out grouse hunting. Kill'em all and let God sort it out!"

BIGSP
 Post Number: 13
Tim Frazier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hammer @ Feb. 25 2012,8:13)
What caused the crack?

I'm going to guess all the falling :devil:

--------------
"Not all who wander are lost." Hoppie 14'
 Post Number: 14
bosco mctavitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Fritz, the break on your gun sounds very similar to what happened to my 20ga Beretta a few years ago.  I posted the results here:
LINKY

I'm willing to bet a real pro could fix it very well and you'd never know it was there.
Failing that, a new stock made by a friend, that fits you to a T...well, that's priceless.  A shotgun stock is like a good rifle scope, that's why a lot of people advise you to spend more on glass than on the rifle.  Same here--a good shotgun is worthless if it doesn't fit you so to me, assuming you start with something that will last, the relative cost of the gun vs the stock is irrelevant.

--------------

Please consider our early successional habitats before not printing this email.
 Post Number: 15
Duece22 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Call Rizzini and get a stock. Have Del fit it. You are a good enough shooter that a few ounces won't matter. The gun has already built the nostalgia. It came with a Rizzini stock. Put another one on it and let the memories grow. 

--------------
JR
46 replies since Feb. 25 2012,7:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media