Find Upland Journal on Facebook
Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are you hunting with a 42?, I have a friend selling a Winchester 42< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bloodhound Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,2:48  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I see the prices going up and up...i can get it for a price that reminds me of 5 years ago...But I want to be able to use it...not just have it...

It is a field gun from the 50s and I have a model 12 in 16ga....but I hate to let this 42 get out of my hands.......

Any thoughts are welcome....

--------------
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your God
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Samuel Hoggson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,7:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

BH,  

Full choke 42s seem to have between .016 and .020, and are just too much for close work.  Nor am I good enough to use one at 35-40 yds.  That's the quandry.  Great 5-stand gun, though.  At the other extreme, a "cyl" M-42 seems about the most useless thing - large pattern holes at dead center at just 20 yds don't cheer me.

I use 42s stamped mod in the field every season.  Mine range from .005 to .007.  Out to 25 yds I consider myself not handicapped at all on WC - and only slightly on grouse.  On preserve phez I am not handicapped out to 25 yds.  I pass on longer opportunities.  I have put alot of time into pattern testing various 3" loads, and would suggest anyone contemplating using a .410 do likewise.  

BTW, my factory "skeet" guns have constrictions in the exact same range as my "mod" guns.  I'm not really sure there is a difference beyond what WW stamped on the barrel.  I was told by a former Remington employee that RP stamped "skeet" or "mod" on identical .410 barrels depending on whether the barrel was destined for a Wingmaster skeet or Express.  I don't own an original "IC" stamped 42.

I would rather carry a 42 all day and not fire a shot than limit out with my 48AL20.  Then, I don't always fire a shot with the 48AL20....... :upside:

Sam

ETA:  if you can get an original condition 42 for a 5 year-ago price, I would do so immediately..........even if it is a "full" gun.
 Post Number: 3
Curt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,8:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Samuel Hoggson @ Feb. 25 2012,7:02)
BH,  

Full choke 42s seem to have between .016 and .020, and are just too much for close work.  Nor am I good enough to use one at 35-40 yds.  That's the quandry.  Great 5-stand gun, though.  At the other extreme, a "cyl" M-42 seems about the most useless thing - large pattern holes at dead center at just 20 yds don't cheer me.

I use 42s stamped mod in the field every season.  Mine range from .005 to .007.  Out to 25 yds I consider myself not handicapped at all on WC - and only slightly on grouse.  On preserve phez I am not handicapped out to 25 yds.  I pass on longer opportunities.  I have put alot of time into pattern testing various 3" loads, and would suggest anyone contemplating using a .410 do likewise.  

BTW, my factory "skeet" guns have constrictions in the exact same range as my "mod" guns.  I'm not really sure there is a difference beyond what WW stamped on the barrel.  I was told by a former Remington employee that RP stamped "skeet" or "mod" on identical .410 barrels depending on whether the barrel was destined for a Wingmaster skeet or Express.  I don't own an original "IC" stamped 42.

I would rather carry a 42 all day and not fire a shot than limit out with my 48AL20.  Then, I don't always fire a shot with the 48AL20....... :upside:

Sam

ETA:  if you can get an original condition 42 for a 5 year-ago price, I would do so immediately..........even if it is a "full" gun.

Different strokes for different folks.  In my opinion the .410 has no place in wild bird hunting.

--------------
"A man's ego is a helluva weight to be carried by his dog"
 Post Number: 4
gunut Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,9:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a 1951 42.....It was my uncles gun that I purchased from his estate along with a 1946 20ga model 12....I have had the gun for 5+ years now and have not shot it..Got it just because it was his and they are just neet guns that every old timer should own....My uncle was a member of the Horicon Rod and Gun club for many years and a pretty good shot but I dont remember him ever shooting the 42 either....

--------------
gunut
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 5
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,9:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm a big Mdl 42 fan!  If you can buy a mechanically sound 42 at a reasonable price, I'd say jump on it.  Since you already have a 16 gauge Mdl 12 and obviously like it, I think I can say with assurance that you won't regret owning a 42.  Unless it is a rare collector's item, I'd also suggest making whatever modifications (such as choke) that are necessary to make the gun work for you.  I've never understood the mentality of keeping something in factory original condition.  Guns were built to be used, not worshipped.

Like Sam, I find carrying and using the gun a true joy.  Every time I use it, my face is plastered with a dumb grin.  Even though it is quite effective on birds out to about 25 yards with MOD and 3" loads. I don't use the 42 on "wild" birds anymore - just for off-season scratch hunting of pen-raised birds - because I'm unwilling to turn down shots over 25 yards on hard-earned "wild" birds.

Overall this year, the Mdl 42 killed about 20 birds, no misses, all one shot kills, all stone dead when delivered by the dogs to hand.  But, I limited myself to shots within 25 yards or so.  In fact, my most productive single day of off-season scratch hunting this year was with the Mdl 42 (six birds):

FWIW, I have found the buffered Polywad Gram Crak-R loads (0.6 oz. of # 7-1/2) to be quite effective in real world use.  That said, any of the Big Three 3" hunting loads should work for you.  

In terms of choke, like Sam, I've found that MOD choke gives me the best overall results in the uplands.  IC works well for me, too.  On clays, I use whatever choke is appropriate to the presentation - from SKT to FULL.

My 42 was a mechanically sound, but well-worn solid rib, full choke field grade of late 1940's vintage with a cracked stock.  It was not a pristine, rare collector's item.  Therefore, nothing was destroyed when it was "upgraded".  I wanted to be able to experiment with various chokes and loads, and to shoot various clays games, from skeet to SC, so Briley thinwall flush screw chokes were installed (and I got a set of extended choke tubes for easy wrenchless changing when shooting target games).  If you get the 42, I would not hesitate to set up the choke in whatever way works best for you (just open it up to MOD, or install screw chokes so you have versatility) and then shoot the hell out of it.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 6
walt lister Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,12:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Get it, you won't regret it. Used within it's and your limits, they are a fun hunting gun. I use mine for early season doves now and in boom years I have had good results on desert quail.  

Post Number: 7
Too Dogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,12:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

As everyone seems to want the lightest field gun they can find, I'd think a M42 would be great.
As far as the .410 goes, I believe one member here uses that for all the western upland hunting he does; from sharps to quail.-Too Dogs

--------------
"A promise made is a debt unpaid" ; Robert Service, Cremation of Sam McGee.[QUOTE]

"I am happiest at camp near a fire pit with my family. Lots of good conversations and thinking occurs near a fire pit. They are the birthplace of civilization, and not revisited enough."
(stolen from my son, Mark. Who'da thunk he'd be so deep?)
 Post Number: 8
The Technoid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,9:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a few Model 42s and, like Gred, had Briley install Thinwalls in one. I selected .003", .009" and .019". I use the gun mostly for preserve quail and limit my shots to not much more than 25 yards.

Using 1/2 oz of #8s, I find no difference in performance between the .003" and the .009" chokes. They work properly when I do my part. But the .019" is too tight for shots in the 20 yard and under area. However, it is fun for 5 Stand and the like.

And just to add this to the Model 42 data base- I have one which has a factory Full choke measuring .015".

If I could have just one choke for the 42 for preserve birds and fun clays, I'd probably pick .010".
 Post Number: 9
kadehippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,10:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Curt --- You are intitled to your opion and you should never use the 410 on wild birds .  In my opion you are dead wrong  :angry: I could tell you  how many wild birds that I've shot in the last six years with a 410 but it would just Pi$$ you off so I won't .  I will say that I'm a western states hunter and probably would not hunt Ruff Grouse or Woodcock with a 410 mostly because I can't hit eastern Ruffs with a 12 guage. Chocking in the 410 is different and I agree that the difference between Skeet I/c and mod in the browning choke tubes that I use is only a few thousants of an inch . The full choke is a lot tighter maybe .020  I think that most of you who attack the 410 as a game gun read way to much and hunt way to little and I feel sorry for you . Get out there with a 410 that you shoot well , a good bird dog that gets you close to the game and report back .
 Post Number: 10
ErikW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,11:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If you are comfortable with a Win pump, go for it.  I have shot O/U & SxS for so long now, I know I would have trouble with safety and pump hunting.  I started years ago with a M12 16ga, but have evolved over the years.  They are great guns if operating them is second nature.

--------------
A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
 Post Number: 11
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,2:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(kadehippy @ Feb. 25 2012,10:55)
Curt --- You are intitled to your opion and you should never use the 410 on wild birds .  In my opion you are dead wrong  :angry: I could tell you  how many wild birds that I've shot in the last six years with a 410 but it would just Pi$$ you off so I won't .  

I will say that I'm a western states hunter and  I think that most of you who attack the 410 as a game gun read way to much and hunt way to little and I feel sorry for you . Get out there with a 410 that you shoot well , a good bird dog that gets you close to the game and report back .

My gosh. Curt and I suppose myself have really upset you. I'm suprised that you pay us any attention given our propensity for reading and not hunting. You do feel sorry for us. That's nice....

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
 Post Number: 12
FlyChamps Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've got a Browning Model 42 which is a copy of the Winchester Model 42 that Miroku built for Browning for several years in the early 1990's.  I had Mike Orlen put Colonial screw in chokes in it and I have the Skeet, I/C, Mod and Full choke tubes.  It is great gun to hunt preserve birds with.
 Post Number: 13
ramshotz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,7:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm gonna land on Walt's side of the fence. For quite a few years almost every dove and quail I shot were taken with a .410 Citori choked IC in both barrels. It was also my skeet gun until I got a tube set. My hit/kill ratio was very good, but I hunted over Britts that held the birds for close flushes and limited the range on the doves. I never should have sold that little wand.

Another horror, I don't use 3" shells! A 2 3/4 oz load of 9's works great on those little birds. My only issue hunting quail with the .410 was a need to keep my shells warm much below freezing. I'd just keep them in an inside pocket and change them out every 10 minutes if the action was slow.

I don't own a .410 any more, but I've got a pair of .410 inserts that fit any of my 28's when I get the urge.

Size don't matter, it's just gotta go bang!
ramshotz

--------------
tight to the cheek, eye on the beak

Post Number: 14
kadehippy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2012,11:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Curt and Bryan ---- I'm a long ways from being upset --- I just don't understand how or why you would make the statements you do when  nether of you ,.from what i can gather have ever actually hunted wild birds with a 410. If you have and have actually experience then I would be glad to listen to what you say . I'm no great shot or hot shot bird hunter but I have hunted wild birds for several years with a 410 and do know what I'm talking about in the real world . Come and join me in the western states and judge for yourself.
I hunt with a lot of people that are better shots than me and kill more birds than me , but none of them will say that the 410 does not work . This list would include a lot of fellow UJ'ers some of whom you have already heard from
13 replies since Feb. 25 2012,2:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media