I have subtended. 1  [1.96%]
I subtend on a regular basis. 2  [3.92%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 3 of 3<<123

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Do you subtend?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
Bob Frankenfield Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:57  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(quaily @ Feb. 26 2012,3:43)
I shot my shotgun with one one shut for a long time. I was a terrible shot.

In an attempt to keep both eyes open, I placed a flying dove decoy in my yard. It was terribly difficult to keep both eyes open for a couple of weeks. Finally I realized my shotgun was always pointing to whatever I was staring at. I didn’t need to look at my gun. It became a blur in my peripheral vision.

I make circles around the target to see how the shot picture changes with angle, always focusing on the bird’s head. When I cannot see the bird’s head, I can still determine where the head is and its flight angle by the angle of the decoy. I can do this because I keep the decoy in my yard 365 days a year.

My decoy is on a thirteen foot telescoping pole. If I extend the pole to its maximum height and stand downhill, I can see what the bird looks like when it is in the skeet high house station one position. When I see belly, I switch from the cutting off the bird method to swing through.

I never subtend. I do like using decoys. I have to travel to find birds. Hence, I cannot see birds before the hunt. Using decoys allow me to be ready for that first shot.

Thanks for participating in the poll.

Don't bother me now.  I'm out in the garage working on my grouse decoy. :D

--------------
Bob

"The Old Man said that October was the only perfect month of the year, because it was a month that really didn't have to do anything to justify itself.  All it held was present perfection, beautiful memory, and magnificent promise."

Robert Ruark
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 32
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(charlo slim @ Feb. 25 2012,11:06)

(Larry Brown @ Feb. 25 2012,7:06)
Roster has always placed much of his focus on waterfowl shooting, which makes sense because all of his work with steel shot.  Seems to me that subtending makes much more sense with waterfowl (and with driven birds) because they're typically in sight far longer, and generally getting closer rather than farther away, than are upland birds.  

In British shotgun guru Gough Thomas' book, "Shooting Facts & Fancies", he has an excellent illustration of "subtending", using wood pigeons as an example in comparison to the 28" barrels of a 12ga.  Excellent points that it does not work very well if you swap guns around a lot, and it's especially problematic if you vacillate between the .410 and the 12ga.  Even worse between a .410 OU and a 12ga sxs.  But it can be particularly useful where one is most tempted to "sky bust" at birds that are out of range.

In my own case, not being a waterfowler but having some experience shooting driven birds, I always tend to overestimate range when I've been shooting mostly pheasants and all of a sudden I'm looking at a partridge.

Agreed, Larry, across the board.  The larger vs smaller bird deal is part of the reason, I think, that so much ridiculously long shooting occurs on geese -- they are just so large that they tend to seem close even when far out of effective shotgun range. When shifting from large Western Canadas in MT to the much smaller Lesser Canadas down here in OK, I will be passing up readily killable birds for awhile till I get things dialed in.

Overhead birds also often seem to be farther away than those at the same distance but closer to ground level.  Could be just from lacking frame of reference I suppose, sortof like we tend to perceive the moon as being much larger near the horizon and much smaller overhead.

Honestly, I've never really thought much about subtending relative to typical upland hunting.

Right on.  Overhead shots are harder for me to judge too.  Might be less so if I were a waterfowler.

Re upland hunting, I think pheasants are one bird that can present problems for people who have not hunted them before.  They're bigger than most anything else we shoot in the uplands, and look even bigger in profile because of that darned tail!  Back when I was guiding nonresidents for pheasants in Iowa, I found myself saying "that was a pretty long shot!" quite frequently.

--------------
Larry Brown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
31 replies since Feb. 24 2012,1:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 3<<123
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media