Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Favorite factory loads: Terry Wieland, From Grays Sporting Journal< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
bamboozler Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,9:03  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Does Wieland shoot anything other than 12-gauge guns?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
Cedar Swamp Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,9:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Like Scott, I use the Remington STS for grouse and woodcock. All I stock for my 20 gauge is their STS20SC8 load.

I have a question about those 2.5" B&P High Pheasant loads. They seem like just the ticket for the preserve pheas I shoot here in w. NY. But my only 12 gauge is a BUL. Has anyone tried the High Pheasant load in a BUL or any other autoloader? Did it cycle reliably? Thanks.
 Post Number: 18
Hub Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,9:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Larry Brown Feb. 23 2012 @ 9:31)
I've found it interesting that digging back through the writings of now-departed outdoor scribes, Hill, McIntosh and Brister all heaped praise on the 3 1/4 DE, 1 1/4oz load for pheasants.  That's a 1220 fps load.  Makes you wonder why ammo makers today think we need pheasant loads at 14-1500 fps.

Personally I think the gun writers are more apt to be shooting a light double.  Out of a light double the standard pigeon load is probably on the upper end of what you can shoot comfortably with any amount of regularity.

Ammo companies aren't catering to the double gun crowd.  They are catering to the automatic/pump action crowd that shoot heavier guns that absorb recoil better.  My o/u kicks harder with a pigeon load than my auto does with the 1440 fps whopper.  If there wasn't  recoil difference between the two I'd take the extra 240 fps every time because after shooting hundreds of pheasants with each I think the higher velocity round are more devastating.

--------------
“Most of all, he loved the fall.” --Ernest Hemingway
 Post Number: 19
Irish Joe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,11:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've taken a liking to the AA 20 ga. 1 oz (7.5) load. It seems to work well at the pattern board and grouse board alike.

--------------
"Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply" [1645]

Shinmen (Miyamoto) Musashi                     

"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."      

John Muir
 Post Number: 20
drummer's stump Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,12:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Irish Joe @ Feb. 24 2012,11:51)
I've taken a liking to the AA 20 ga. 1 oz (7.5) load. It seems to work well at the pattern board and grouse board alike.

I would like to try those 7's that Bob gave you

--------------
Riding the Ghosttrain
some are born hunters, some are born grouse hunters!
 Post Number: 21
Curt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,12:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I like that load too, it's a little slower than most today but I get nice patterns with it.

--------------
"A man's ego is a helluva weight to be carried by his dog"
 Post Number: 22
Samuel Hoggson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,1:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Cedar Swamp @ Feb. 24 2012,9:12)
I have a question about those 2.5" B&P High Pheasant loads. They seem like just the ticket for the preserve pheas I shoot here in w. NY. But my only 12 gauge is a BUL. Has anyone tried the High Pheasant load in a BUL or any other autoloader? Did it cycle reliably? Thanks.

I don't own a 12 ga Benelli.  But the high speed Hi-Phez works fine in my 391 sport.  

They work well on scratch birds, in #6 or #5.  

Sam
 Post Number: 23
Talon1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,10:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Sounds like he might be suffering from the ill effects of being a gear junkie. I am sure that each shell is designated for a specific gun and of course he has a vest for each shell so he doesn't accidentally get them mixed up.

I completey sympathize since I am one myself.
 Post Number: 24
Steelheadfred Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,12:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hard to beat the Winchester AA sporting clays loads, very similiar to the STS loads Grush is doing it wrong with  :p

--------------
(Ted Moore @ Sep. 04 2013,12:35)
You should be thanking me for introducing you to a gentleman's gundog. Dogs that hunt for and with their masters, as a team.   And don't forget Uppie for setting you straight on the path to "Upland Tradition".
 Post Number: 25
Rex Hoppie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,2:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The thing I noticed about Terry W's choices in factory loads, is that none of them agree with any of mine.

--------------
I will not hunt unless alone or with someone
 Post Number: 26
Bob Frankenfield Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,2:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(drummer's stump @ Feb. 24 2012,12:14)

I would like to try those 7's that Bob gave you

Bob will give you a box but it will require GPS coords.

--------------
Bob

"The Old Man said that October was the only perfect month of the year, because it was a month that really didn't have to do anything to justify itself.  All it held was present perfection, beautiful memory, and magnificent promise."

Robert Ruark
 Post Number: 27
Bob Frankenfield Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,2:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Pattern board??

What?  You fired a shot into a snowbank?

--------------
Bob

"The Old Man said that October was the only perfect month of the year, because it was a month that really didn't have to do anything to justify itself.  All it held was present perfection, beautiful memory, and magnificent promise."

Robert Ruark
 Post Number: 28
Jim McCann Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,3:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

One ounce of relatievely hard 7 1/2s and be there...IMHO.
Having said that, I prefer to use KENT Ultimate Upland shells.

What else can I say? I'm a simple man.

Jim
 Post Number: 29
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,6:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hub @ Feb. 24 2012,9:52)

(Larry Brown Feb. 23 2012 @ 9:31)
I've found it interesting that digging back through the writings of now-departed outdoor scribes, Hill, McIntosh and Brister all heaped praise on the 3 1/4 DE, 1 1/4oz load for pheasants.  That's a 1220 fps load.  Makes you wonder why ammo makers today think we need pheasant loads at 14-1500 fps.

Personally I think the gun writers are more apt to be shooting a light double.  Out of a light double the standard pigeon load is probably on the upper end of what you can shoot comfortably with any amount of regularity.

Ammo companies aren't catering to the double gun crowd.  They are catering to the automatic/pump action crowd that shoot heavier guns that absorb recoil better.  My o/u kicks harder with a pigeon load than my auto does with the 1440 fps whopper.  If there wasn't  recoil difference between the two I'd take the extra 240 fps every time because after shooting hundreds of pheasants with each I think the higher velocity round are more devastating.

I'd agree that McIntosh and Hill were fans of light doubles, but Brister didn't lean in that direction to the same degree.  One reason Brister praises that particular load is because it patterns extremely well.  I've patterned it in comparison to the 1330 fps load (3 3/4 DE) and to the 1500 fps Federal load.  You get a slightly better pattern % vs the 1330, but a good bit better vs the 1500.  Personally, having fooled around with the numbers, I'd think the advantage of the 1500 fps load would come in less forward allowance required on relatively long shots--although even a crossing rooster going full bore at 40 yards doesn't move all that much farther based on the time interval between the two.  Not likely far enough to turn a miss into a kill, but probably far enough to turn a butt-end hit into a centered bird.

Although I don't often use loads even as heavy as 3 1/4 - 1 1/4, the longest run I've ever made on wild pheasants (23 in a row, with a couple requiring a 2nd barrel) came using that load.  Mostly, Brit 1 1/16 oz loads work just fine--although I will back them up with a L barrel reload, 1 1/8 oz, that does about 1250 fps--and will kill pheasants reliably as far away as I care to shoot them.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 30
caleb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,6:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(Laminarman @ Feb. 23 2012,10:14)
I like Terry Wieland.  In the latest issue of Grays he picks his favorite factory shotshell loads.  It's a good short read.

I always wonder how an expert goes about picking favorite loads.

I pick my loads based on how they look, feel, and smell.  I like high brass shells with nice crimps, a good texture to the plastic, and that smell nice when I open the action and the lingering smoke wafts back toward me.  That's all I've got to go on since I can't tell one bit of difference in how they work.

I wonder how Wieland picks his favorites (?).
31 replies since Feb. 23 2012,10:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media