Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Favorite factory loads: Terry Wieland, From Grays Sporting Journal< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Laminarman Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,10:14  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I like Terry Wieland.  In the latest issue of Grays he picks his favorite factory shotshell loads.  It's a good short read.  Here's a brief primer:

B&P High Pheasant 2 1/2": May be the best balanced game load available anywhere.  7 shot, 1 oz. 2 5/8 drams.  If I were limited to one load for everything, in every gun, this would be it.

B&P Star Rosa: 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz 3 1/4 drams, 7 1/2 shot.  A pigeon load.  Hard hitting and would use them only on pheasants."

Federal Gold Medal Premium Extra-Lite: Code# T172 7.5.  Paper hulled trap load.  1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shot.  My candidate for ideal ruffed grouse load.  Gentle as a dove yet enough velocity for any grouse hunter.  They smell wonderful in the autumn woods."

Gamebore Classic Black Powder: ..the creme for those occasions when only the best will do."

B&P Competition One: 7/8 oz.  With #8 shot, it's a fantastic dove combination, and excellent for woodcock, snipe and similar birds.  The recoil is light, the patterns gorgeous.  What more can we say?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
JustinCase Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,10:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I like Terry Wieland's writings also, but was disappointed when I read the recent article in Gray's.  For example, I would agree with his positive comments on the 1 1/4 oz, 3 1/4 dram load, but I would have a hard time preferring one brand name to any other respected brand.  And I doubt that the B&P "compressible base wad" has any significant recoil effect.
  Call me a cranky old man, but the article hit me as something that has no more insight than something like "use small shot sizes for little birds and larger shot sizes for bigger birds".  (Yes, I realize I will probably suffer eternal damnation for these comments.  So be it.)
 Post Number: 3
Laminarman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,10:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(JustinCase @ Feb. 23 2012,10:50)
I like Terry Wieland's writings also, but was disappointed when I read the recent article in Gray's.  For example, I would agree with his positive comments on the 1 1/4 oz, 3 1/4 dram load, but I would have a hard time preferring one brand name to any other respected brand.  And I doubt that the B&P "compressible base wad" has any significant recoil effect.
  Call me a cranky old man, but the article hit me as something that has no more insight than something like "use small shot sizes for little birds and larger shot sizes for bigger birds".  (Yes, I realize I will probably suffer eternal damnation for these comments.  So be it.)

You could be right.  I have never shot any of these.  I can't tell Jack Diddly between loads since I miss anyways.
 Post Number: 4
steve s Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,11:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

+1 to both above postings.
 Post Number: 5
charlo slim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,12:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

So....now lemme get this straight.  This fellow has 4 favorite smokeless powder loads within a whopping 1 pellet size difference among 'em, 3 by the same mfg?  Klutz such as myself would likely get 'em mixed up.... and never kill nuthin' from using the wrong load on the wrong species.  I really had no idea the situation was so complex.  Sheeesh!!

--------------
Joe

I cried because I had no shoes,
until I met a man who had no dog.
 Post Number: 6
steve s Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,1:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

And to think for all these years I have been shooting at woodcock and grouse with AA trap loads.  Not sure how I got by. Evidently I've missed the boat.  Perhaps his birds are deader than mine.
 Post Number: 7
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,2:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(charlo slim @ Feb. 24 2012,12:10)
So....now lemme get this straight.  This fellow has 4 favorite smokeless powder loads within a whopping 1 pellet size difference among 'em, 3 by the same mfg?  Klutz such as myself would likely get 'em mixed up.... and never kill nuthin' from using the wrong load on the wrong species.  I really had no idea the situation was so complex.  Sheeesh!!

here I was pondering, romanticizing, and  dreaming about employing all the different loads mentioned in this article. I was thinking of all the reloading supplies I would need, and how I would become a bird hunting expert who knew enough about his prey to determine what brand name kills better. I was coaching myself not to let comments like "what a guy" and "he's the man" while in bird hunting circles to go to my head..... and along comes charlo slim and justincase to squeeze all the magic and romance out leaving me with nothing but mundane old logic. :;):

Post Number: 8
charlo slim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(steve s @ Feb. 24 2012,1:43)
And to think for all these years I have been shooting at woodcock and grouse with AA trap loads.  Not sure how I got by. Evidently I've missed the boat.  Perhaps his birds are deader than mine.

The remarkable thing is, within the range that the game is best played (IMO), that load will do a very nice job on turkeys as well... and mallards.... and doves..... and.....

But you could be correct. Maybe there is dead and then there is expert dead??

--------------
Joe

I cried because I had no shoes,
until I met a man who had no dog.
 Post Number: 9
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(charlo slim @ Feb. 24 2012,8:12)

(steve s @ Feb. 24 2012,1:43)

The remarkable thing is, within the range that the game is best played (IMO), that load will do a very nice job on turkeys as well... and mallards.... and doves..... and.....

But you could be correct. Maybe there is dead and then there is expert dead??

If you want to experience expert dead you need to be shooting X-pert games loads by Winchester. :D

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 10
Cooter Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Well Mr. Weiland is right about one thing: paper shells sure do smell good.

--------------
"The worst poverty anyone can have is a poverty of mental interests."  Ernest Hemingway

Blow up your TV
Throw away your paper
Go to the country
Kill you a grouse

"I remember thinking the flush had sucked all the air out of my lungs."  DTB, 1-25-14
 Post Number: 11
ScottGrush Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

On any given day REM STS factory loads can be found in my grouse mobile.
Not sure I have ever dented a primer on a BP shotshell.  ???

--------------
.....every effort should be made to expand woodcock banding with bird dogs. - RI
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(ScottGrush @ Feb. 24 2012,8:24)
On any given day REM STS factory loads can be found in my grouse mobile.
Not sure I have ever dented a primer on a BP shotshell.  ???

+1
The STS shells are really good. I use them for clays and hunting.  95% of my reloads use STS hulls.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
 Post Number: 13
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hey guys . . . cut Wieland some slack.  Outdoor writers have to have something to write about.

I've found it interesting that digging back through the writings of now-departed outdoor scribes, Hill, McIntosh and Brister all heaped praise on the 3 1/4 DE, 1 1/4oz load for pheasants.  That's a 1220 fps load.  Makes you wonder why ammo makers today think we need pheasant loads at 14-1500 fps.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Larry Brown @ Feb. 24 2012,8:27)
Hey guys . . . cut Wieland some slack.  Outdoor writers have to have something to write about.

I've found it interesting that digging back through the writings of now-departed outdoor scribes, Hill, McIntosh and Brister all heaped praise on the 3 1/4 DE, 1 1/4oz load for pheasants.  That's a 1220 fps load.  Makes you wonder why ammo makers today think we need pheasant loads at 14-1500 fps.

And at that high velocity there pushing 11/4- 1 3/8oz. Seems a bit punishing in a o/u or s x s. Tens of thousands of pheasants have fallen over the years to lesser loads.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
popplecop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,8:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Not much for those of us that believe 12 gas. are waterfowl shotguns and 16s, 20s and 28s are upland shotguns.  Just my opinon for what it is n't worth much.  Too old to change it though.

--------------
VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc. Life Member, Wisconsin Waterfowl Assoc. Life Member
31 replies since Feb. 23 2012,10:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media