Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Benelli Ultralight thoughts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
wijager Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,6:51  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have missed a days worth of grouse with the gun I use now, only to come out next day and hit just about everything that flys.  I think it has alot more to do with me than any gun.  You know that feeling you get when you swing thru a bird the gun goes off bird falls and you dont remember doing any of it.  Thats when I know I'm on a roll.  I think I could miss with and or hit with any gun if it fits me well enough in the lop category.  I may just have to buy the 20 BUL so I can give my field impressions of the gun.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
KYWindage Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,8:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I too purchased a BUL when they first came out, in 12 gauge. In Europe this gun is known as ""Beccaccia" which is woodcock in Italian, and was designed for rough shooting the larger European bird. In 12 gauge it handles much like a lightweight double, either O/U or SBS, and for bad country hunting, is about ideal.

Here in Kentucky it is my goto grouse gun in the rugged cliff section of the Cumberland Plateau. The area is steep, rugged, rocky and slippery, and covered with rhododendron and Mountain Laurel thickets. For years I hunted this country with my 20 gauge Beretta 686 20 (which has been refinished twice), but realized the 12 gauge was more suitable for the longer, cross-drainage shooting  which occurs in this country. It seem the birds either get up under your feet or they flush at 35-40 yards. In the small bores I always used cylinder or IC/Full, but with the 12 I can use more open chokes with heavier loads. I first used a 12 gauge Beretta Ultralite but when I lost it in a fire, replaced it with the BUL.

My wife has a 20 gauge Montefeltro with 26 inch barrel which handles much like my 20 686. I can't imagine the 20 gauge Benelli  with a shorter magazine and 24 inch barrel as it would be very much on the whippy side. OK for brush quail and woodcock where you poke and point but not much else. On the other hand, the 12 gauge BUL seems to be a darn good rough country upland gun and works for jump shooting wildfowl and turkey hunting too. After acquiring my BUL, I gave my old M1 Super90 duck and turkey gun to my stepson.

I have some fine SXS doubles which I love to use in Wisconsin and other flat-land venues, but when the country or weather gets rough, I leave them back at camp.

If you are thinking 12 gauge, the BUL is great. If you want a 20, IMHO the Montefeltro 26 or 28 is a better choice.

--------------
I would rather miss a grouse while walking than kill a duck from a freezing blind.[B]
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
16 replies since Feb. 22 2012,8:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media