Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Benelli Ultralight thoughts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wijager Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2012,8:43  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I am interested in anyones thoughts on the Benelli UL in 20 guage for use as a grouse and pheasant gun.  I currently use a Browning Citori Superlight Feather in 20 guage for both with no problems.  I use winchester super sport 7/8 ounce loads for grouse in 8 shot and have been using Fiochi 2 3/4" 1 ounce 5 shot for pheasant.  I plan to continue to use both loads with the new gun also.  Anyone who has experience with this Benelli I would much appreciate your input on the subject.  I would like to use the Benelli as a backup gun and with the three shot capacity would come in handy for my close range jump shooting of ducks on the creek in back of the house.  Any and all opinions appreciated.  Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
ScottGrush Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2012,9:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I would shop for something else. The BUL 20 is simply too light for my abilities to shoot it well especially in wide open spaces that pheasants live.
If a 20 is a must have look at the montefeltro.

--------------
.....every effort should be made to expand woodcock banding with bird dogs. - RI
 Post Number: 3
Laminarman Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2012,11:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Enjoy, I started this monstrosity....

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....t=72199

Stick with your Browning for upland.  That's a wad of cash for a "backup gun".  Would make a fine autoloader if that's what you're really shopping for, but get a 12.
 Post Number: 4
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,6:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Benelli M2 (or M1 ) 20ga would be my choice

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 5
Lucky Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,7:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

For me, the 20 ga BUL is THE ultimate upland gun. Since buying mine, it is my carry gun 99% of the time. the other 1% I carry my 12 ga BUL.
Before becoming a BUL convert I was a dyed in the wool sxs guy. I may be having a yard sale on those old things some day. :;):
 Post Number: 6
wingnut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,8:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I love mine 24" barrel I shoot 3" 1 1/4 oz loads for phez and jump shooting ducks.2 3/4 1 oz for grouse & W.C.
A buddy of mine has a citori that I've shot at clays (just to be fair maybe his gun does not fit me correctly or something) But the differance in recoil was huge I would not want to shoot my 3" shells in that gun. Dan
 Post Number: 7
popplecop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,8:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Short one barrel to be an Upland Game Shotgun.

--------------
VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc. Life Member, Wisconsin Waterfowl Assoc. Life Member
 Post Number: 8
Curt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,9:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(popplecop @ Feb. 23 2012,8:06)
Short one barrel to be an Upland Game Shotgun.

With the length of the action the overall length and sight plane is the same as a sxs with 28 inch tubes.

--------------
"A man's ego is a helluva weight to be carried by his dog"
 Post Number: 9
gonehuntin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,3:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Funny how some guys bitch about how light the BUL is while extolling the weight of their sxs's in the same weight.

--------------
Fly Fishing, Sex, And Bird Dog's; The Order Is Optional.
 Post Number: 10
quailguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,11:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(gonehuntin @ Feb. 23 2012,3:15)
Funny how some guys bitch about how light the BUL is while extolling the weight of their sxs's in the same weight.

!!!!

Don't own a BUL, but it sure swings nicely in the store. I am tempted I must admit.

I do have a 12 ga M1 and it has killed a pickup load of ducks and geese without a problem.

--------------
Quailguy
 "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
 Post Number: 11
franchi Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,2:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hi:

The Benelli Ultralight is a good gun but is it not very much overpriced?

I was looking for one and All I found was used ones for $1500.00-$1600.00!  I did see a new one listed for P.O.R. Lol!

I did use a 20 gage one day and it was nice but it was not any better than my Franchi 48 AL 20 gage.  One can pick up a nice  used 48 for about $300-$500!  

In any case, the Benelli is a good gun but $$$$$$

Stay well,

Franchi

In any case it is not the arrow!
 Post Number: 12
Brian Meckler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,4:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have used a BUL since the gun was first offered a few years ago.  I prefer a SxS for most of my hunting but after I bought the BUL I have a hard time justifying walking with an expensive bird gun.  There are pros and cons for every type of gun and after extensive experience with the BUL here are my opinions

Pros:
light
tough
easy to breakdown and clean
carries well
easy to get dry after a heavy rain
will cycle 2 inch game loads so you can carry 4 shells in states where that it is legal
wood has a coating that makes it pretty much weather proof
balanced like a nice game gun
choke tubes

Cons:
pride of ownership not as high
not a fine gun
feels a little cheap (all Benelli shotguns suffer from this)
the grip is a little bulky in 12 gauge
when your dog need attending it's not as easy to unload and break over your shoulder

I tend to take a pragmatic look at auto loading shotguns.  I do find it confusing that so many UJ members are so hung up on the faux wood. But in the end the gun has to make you happy so to each his own I guess. I use my BUL mostly on chukar hunts or for travel and she is perfect for hard hunts
Brian
 Post Number: 13
gunner29 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2012,6:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

So my BUL 20 has shot , grouse, wc,pheasant,  chukar, ducks including divers, geese both light and dark and several fox with a few bunnies for good measure.

No it aint good for much. For the price its a nice lite reliable gun.

I own much finer shooting irons, however im fond of the bul.

As far as being to light or not a double. You are either a good shot with good form or your not its simple. I have shot clays with many fellas with far more expensive guns, changing chokes every station but my m37 with the fixed mod choke still breaks more clays everytime.
 Post Number: 14
wijager Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,12:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The  whole It's too light thing doesn't hold any "weight" when some of the sxs in 20 that I have looked at are just a ??? s light.
 Post Number: 15
ScottGrush Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,12:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(wijager @ Feb. 26 2012,12:24)
The  whole It's too light thing doesn't hold any "weight" when some of the sxs in 20 that I have looked at are just a ??? s light.

I have a 102 year old LC Smith 20 gauge that I have restored to my specs. I can't shoot that gun worth a damn. Simply gets lost in my hands when I try to swing it on a target. It sees little field time except when woodcock flights are in and I want to shoot a few for a young dog. I can usually kill a limit if I get 10 or 12 chances.  :laugh:
I missed 6 grouse in a row with it one morning this past Fall, it hasn't left the gunsafe since.

--------------
.....every effort should be made to expand woodcock banding with bird dogs. - RI
16 replies since Feb. 22 2012,8:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media