Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Good video for a newbie Glock vs 1911< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Laminarman Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2012,1:21  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

A long video, and if you happen to want to see pros and cons and strip down, this is a well made home video.  Cripes, wish I had that much ammo and a backyard trash heap like that to shoot at (watch this dude be some UJ'er and I don't know it....)   :down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....AAAAAAA
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
LostintheOzone Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,9:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I can't believe I watched the whole thing. Glock is a machine, 1911 a work of art. Good comparison of the two. I'm wondering how many people actually prefer Glocks over 1911. I know Glock is prefered by LEO but I'm talking about personal use. Any idea?

Jim

--------------
If you love your freedom thank a vet.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2012,9:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(LostintheOzone @ Feb. 23 2012,9:35)
I can't believe I watched the whole thing. Glock is a machine, 1911 a work of art. Good comparison of the two. I'm wondering how many people actually prefer Glocks over 1911. I know Glock is prefered by LEO but I'm talking about personal use. Any idea?

Jim

That's a good question.  Up near me I think I see far more Glocks.  Took a few classes for my CCW permit, Glocks were 70% maybe, revolvers 20%, and 10% 1911, which suprised me.  I think the issue with 1911's for CCW is the position and safety thing, where Glocks just go bang.  I prefer simplicity, and prefer dropping a magazine and reloading to reloading a cylinder.
 Post Number: 4
dogrunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,4:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

That dude had alot of Glock mags and was a good shot, I like my Glock and have no 1911s.
 Post Number: 5
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,7:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(dogrunner @ Feb. 24 2012,4:55)
I like my Glock and have no 1911s.

I think it is time you change that and pick up a 1911:D

Olaf

Post Number: 6
dogrunner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,7:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Olaf @ Feb. 24 2012,7:20)

Olaf

Bring yours to the UJ fest and I will give it a tryout.  :D
 Post Number: 7
Roc1969 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,9:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If he has a Glock he don't need a 1911. Retired LEO.
 Post Number: 8
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,9:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(dogrunner @ Feb. 24 2012,7:25)

(Olaf @ Feb. 24 2012,7:20)

Olaf

Bring yours to the UJ fest and I will give it a tryout.  :D

Will do :)

Olaf

Post Number: 9
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,9:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Roc1969 @ Feb. 24 2012,9:05)

Rarely guns are about need. How many of us really need another gun :)

Olaf

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2012,1:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Roc1969 @ Feb. 24 2012,9:05)

TMKWHTA!!

This Man Knows What He's Talking About  :)
 Post Number: 11
Roc1969 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,12:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Shot a Glock as a service pistol for 15+ years, the only jams were staged ones using plastic jam bullets during qualifications. It's tough it's easy to clean and it will shoot under conditions you don't expect.
 Post Number: 12
JiminCA Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Have put a lot of rounds through both platforms.  I prefer the 1911 but have great respect for the Glock.

If I had to take a gun out of the box, new, and take it to a fight I'd take a Glock over a 1911.  Reason?  Very reliable out of the box and all 7 that I've owned shot to point of aim out of the box.

But, I carry a 1911 because it's a better gun IF you take the time to sort it out and test it and keep on top of the maintenance.  The trigger is better on a 1911.

If you want to treat your gun like you treat your lawnmower, the Glock is a great answer.  Minimal maintenance and it'll run just fine.

The 1911 is an enthusiast's gun.  I am an enthusiast so that works out just fine - for me.

FWIW the only Glock that I've ever had jam was my M21 (45 ACP).  Darned thing had trouble with plain old factory ball from time to time.

Have also owned 17's 19's, 22's and 23's.   The sweet spot in Glocks is 9mm - that's what they were originally designed for and the gun's dynamics in 9mm are perfect.  40 S&W is a close second.  In 45 ACP and 10MM, the longer cartridge results in a different frame and different gun dynamics.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,7:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(JiminCA @ Feb. 26 2012,7:36)
Have put a lot of rounds through both platforms.  I prefer the 1911 but have great respect for the Glock.

If I had to take a gun out of the box, new, and take it to a fight I'd take a Glock over a 1911.  Reason?  Very reliable out of the box and all 7 that I've owned shot to point of aim out of the box.

But, I carry a 1911 because it's a better gun IF you take the time to sort it out and test it and keep on top of the maintenance.  The trigger is better on a 1911.

If you want to treat your gun like you treat your lawnmower, the Glock is a great answer.  Minimal maintenance and it'll run just fine.

The 1911 is an enthusiast's gun.  I am an enthusiast so that works out just fine - for me.

FWIW the only Glock that I've ever had jam was my M21 (45 ACP).  Darned thing had trouble with plain old factory ball from time to time.

Have also owned 17's 19's, 22's and 23's.   The sweet spot in Glocks is 9mm - that's what they were originally designed for and the gun's dynamics in 9mm are perfect.  40 S&W is a close second.  In 45 ACP and 10MM, the longer cartridge results in a different frame and different gun dynamics.

Very good post with objective information, thanks.  I do also find the .45 to be odd, big and clumsy, while a 1911 .45 is like peanut butter and jelly.  My .40 G27 beats the hell out of me after a while, but I trust it.  If I don't keep shooting it I develop a flinch and have to re-sort myself.
 Post Number: 14
GB Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2012,9:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

BuY an m and p from smith and wesson, handles like a 1911 and performs like a glock. Best of both worlds. I have owned glocks, springields, and colts, never have I found a better gun than this

--------------
http://tailfeathersandtrout.blogspot.com/
13 replies since Feb. 21 2012,1:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media