Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Merkel 1620 Price Check??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
Country Nate Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,7:34  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(LostintheOzone @ Feb. 26 2012,5:44)

(Hunshatt @ Feb. 21 2012,3:11)
sold mine....

That's real helpful. Care to elaborate?

Just didn't like it.. as I remember  it was the numbered 2 or 3 1620 brought in by GSI. Cased and all that... Nice wood, the fit numbers were within the margin of error for me... I shot it reasonably well.... the CC was wearing off incredibly fast (not that really bothered me) as a piece of machinery it was ok.... But  I wasn't excited to shoot it, or see it in my safe.... so it went...

Aye!  Arn't you and your pack coming over to Pensaltuckey in a couple weeks?  I was going to be a gentleman, and help you find a a couple Grouse to work your pooches on.  But now since you badmouthed my new piece, it's nothing but Mud bats for you.   :;):    

I can add to this thread because I have had one for a couple months now and have shot about 300 rounds with it so far.  I'll try to give a little more detail of my experience.  I realize to most people something like this is a big purchase.  

I didnt like the case coloring either.  Looked at a couple used ones and it seemed like it rubbed off pretty easy.  Beginning in 2011, they have the "silver nitrate" finish with decent stamped (I think it's stamped) engraving in the base model.  Of course, the more expensive models have fancy hand engraving.  Personally, I don't need that. There is a nice picture of the silver nitrate finish (base model) on the Bill Hanus site.  I like the greyish silver contrasted with the darker walnut wood. To me it looks good.

I have done a little patterning with mine.  The POI on mine seems to be centered where I aim.  As far as throwing a nice pattern, I've had mixed results with different loads.  Some good, some not so good.  From what I have read, they hand fit those barrels over there, and they test for POI and patterns for each gun.  But I don't know that for sure.  Mine came with a "gun pass certificate" but I can't read it, it's in frekin German.

It says:

Schrot-Patrone:   Schoenbeck                          
Schrot:            0 (with a slash through it) 3,0 Entfernung 35m

Flintenlaufgeschob:     Entfernung  50m

Can anybody help me out? :D

Also in the manual it says that for I/C there is a 45 to 50 percentage shot at 35M, and for Mod it 60-65% at 35m.  If I'm not mistaken that a tad bit tighter than most.

The standard dimentions on them are 14 3/8 lop, 1 1/2, 2 9/16, 1/4" cast off.  It seems to fit me, but I'm no expert on that either.  Although I do agree with Brian that the LOP is a little short.  I would like to try a real light plastic spacer to add another 1/4 inch LOP.

As far as the fit and finish quality, I think the fit it is REALLY good.  The tolerances seem super tight. Tighter than anything else I have seen.  Mine has a nice piece of wood, and most others I've seen do as well.  Some I've seen pics of are spectacular.  

I must of have got lucky on my trigger because mine seem crisp, and feel to me to be about 3 to 4 pounds. That is a guess though, as I have not tested them with a scale.

In my opinion, the balance is good and the gun comes up nicely.  I think they do have a little different "feel" though from some of the other doubles I shouldered.  Hard to explain, but I think the barrels are a bit lighter than most of the others I looked at.  Giving it a more stoic or stiff feel.  It still has enough weight out front that I can swing on a target very well.  

Mine weighs 6 pounds 2 ounces.  Personally, I like that weight for a 16.  It's light enough to make a nice carry gun, and  I have shot a hundred of the one ounce loads in an afternoon of clays with no ill effects on the shoulder.

Sorry so long winded. Any other questions shoot me a PM.  Or if anyone is close to me, I'll be glad to let you shoot it.

--------------
Did ya ever notice theres always someone that argues against what you have to say?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,10:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Country Nate @ Mar. 02 2012,7:34)
Aye!  Arn't you and your pack coming over to Pensaltuckey in a couple weeks?  I was going to be a gentleman, and help you find a a couple Grouse to work your pooches on.  But now since you badmouthed my new piece, it's nothing but Mud bats for you.   :;):    

I'm sorry... no disrespect intended.... different strokes and what not.... some people are ok driving a Moscovitch.. and some are equally happy owning the firearm equivalent of that iron curtain POS

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 18
Ted Moore Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,2:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hunshatt @ Mar. 04 2012,10:50)

I'm sorry... no disrespect intended.... different strokes and what not.... some people are ok driving a Moscovitch.. and some are equally happy owning the firearm equivalent of that iron curtain POS

Wasn't Al shooting his 1620 when he shot that awesome round of clays with us? You know, the round that I saved the scorecard from? And didn't I read that he likes his Merkel? Something is not right here.
W/C C

--------------
"I replied, and truthfully too, that I had never lost a moment's time in hunting: that I counted only that time lost which I spent in working."
Burton L. Spiller
 Post Number: 19
gunsrus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,3:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Ted Moore @ Mar. 04 2012,2:33)

(Hunshatt @ Mar. 04 2012,10:50)

Wasn't Al shooting his 1620 when he shot that awesome round of clays with us? You know, the round that I saved the scorecard from? And didn't I read that he likes his Merkel? Something is not right here.
W/C C

Jerk , I'm trying to forget that round !! :p  Yes ,that was a Merkel 2016 EL O/U . LOP on that gun is 14 3/8 , a good 1/2 inch shorter than I need . I was debating a Leather pad or not . That score made my mind up . I shot it well the first half of the round and then the pain set in . :(  Just goes to show you how important a good fit is . Don't be an arse like Tim !! :D
 Post Number: 20
Ted Moore Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,4:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Yes ,that was a Merkel 2016 EL O/U

I am just busting your chops, Al as even though you sucked, you probably still beat me :down: . And I guess my dyslexia is in full effect. 1620/2016, sxs/o/u? What the hell do I know?
W/C C

--------------
"I replied, and truthfully too, that I had never lost a moment's time in hunting: that I counted only that time lost which I spent in working."
Burton L. Spiller
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,5:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I know you're busting them . In the grouse woods is where it counts . All I can remember is your four grouse , ''partner'' to Tim and Smurf's Zero . It was a good weekend WC/C .
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,5:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(gunsrus @ Mar. 04 2012,5:33)
I know you're busting them . In the grouse woods is where it counts . All I can remember is your four grouse , ''partner'' to Tim and Smurf's Zero . It was a good weekend WC/C .

all I can remember is chubby DJ ripping annies bird.. you missing it... tedder pulling an amazing shot out of his ass and killing it... then I remember 2-3 other birds Annie pointed that you missed... but hey.. who's counting....

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,5:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Your memory sucks !
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,5:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

uh huh..... whatever... let yur daughter know I'm not coming over tonight.... but I'll be living there while your in rehab.....

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,6:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(Hunshatt @ Mar. 04 2012,5:46)
uh huh..... whatever... let yur daughter know I'm not coming over tonight.... but I'll be living there while your in rehab.....

I've already warned her about you while I'm in the hospital . :p
24 replies since Feb. 20 2012,1:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media