[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What type of sight/Bead do you use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
gloag Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,4:49  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Laser sight.  Get bouncing red dot on bird then blam!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
gloag Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,4:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Briarscratch @ Feb. 10 2012,2:30)
That said, some guys I know who are left eye dominant (most of us are right eye dominant) have success  using the fiber optic aftermarket sights because it helps them overcome their eye dominance issues.

It helps me, I can assess quickly if I squinted my left eye enough (right handed/left eye dominant) so right is taking over.  After that it is eyes (well 1 1/2) on bird/clay.  I shoot sporting clays with shooting glasses with a bit of transparent tape on left lens and don't need to squint.  I don't tend to wear shooting glasses in the field.
 Post Number: 18
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,5:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Let me try to explain beads to you in a different way.

I’m often asked, “What should I be seeing when the gun is up and the object is in the air?”

My reply is always “You must be focused on the object and more importantly, trying to see some detail on the object.”

But, in reality, this is only half of the truth and only half of what is actually going on when you shoot at an object flying.

By consciously focusing on the object, you allow your subconscious brain to really take over and do some amazing things. And make no mistake; your subconscious brain is acutely aware of the barrels, bead, object and a plethora of other feedback from your eyes. This inner brain can also calculate forward allowance and muscular movements on a real-time basis. This visual feedback to the subconscious also controls your body and your hands. This subconscious brain is so complex and efficient that it can do amazing things if you simply let it function the way it was designed.

You simply HAVE to learn to trust your eyes and hands. Let me say that again, Learn to trust your eyes and your hands. You shoot with your eyes and hands, not a gun. The gun is simply a means to deliver a shot pattern to a space in front of a moving object.

When some say they don’t see the bead, what they actually mean is that they don’t consciously see the bead. This is good.

There are times when seeing the bead, albeit briefly, can help. Distant, fast crossers (45-65 yards) require forward insertions (Gobs of built in lead) before you add more pull away lead. Seeing, or indexing your insertions is accomplished by a brief view of the bead before the visual shift goes back to and stays on the target. Some trap style shots are also more easily accomplished with bead awareness.

Put whatever bead you want on your gun. The important thing is that the bead style doesn’t distract you from the object or make you ware of the bead consciously during the shot. Some of the HiViz beads are very distracting to some people.

Good luck and have fun.

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 19
Bonasa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,5:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 10 2012,5:12)

I’m often asked, “What should I be seeing when the gun is up and the object is in the air?”

My reply is always “You must be focused on the object and more importantly, trying to see some detail on the object.”

But, in reality, this is only half of the truth and only half of what is actually going on when you shoot at an object flying.

By consciously focusing on the object, you allow your subconscious brain to really take over and do some amazing things. And make no mistake; your subconscious brain is acutely aware of the barrels, bead, object and a plethora of other feedback from your eyes. This inner brain can also calculate forward allowance and muscular movements on a real-time basis. This visual feedback to the subconscious also controls your body and your hands. This subconscious brain is so complex and efficient that it can do amazing things if you simply let it function the way it was designed.

You simply HAVE to learn to trust your eyes and hands. Let me say that again, Learn to trust your eyes and your hands. You shoot with your eyes and hands, not a gun. The gun is simply a means to deliver a shot pattern to a space in front of a moving object.

When some say they don’t see the bead, what they actually mean is that they don’t consciously see the bead. This is good.

There are times when seeing the bead, albeit briefly, can help. Distant, fast crossers (45-65 yards) require forward insertions (Gobs of built in lead) before you add more pull away lead. Seeing, or indexing your insertions is accomplished by a brief view of the bead before the visual shift goes back to and stays on the target. Some trap style shots are also more easily accomplished with bead awareness.

Put whatever bead you want on your gun. The important thing is that the bead style doesn’t distract you from the object or make you ware of the bead consciously during the shot. Some of the HiViz beads are very distracting to some people.

Good luck and have fun.

Summarized perfectly...

--------------
"The gun is seldom responsible for the misses. The fault lies with the chap who is looking down the barrel."   Burton Spiller
 Post Number: 20
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,5:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Bonasa @ Feb. 10 2012,5:24)

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 10 2012,5:12)

Good luck and have fun.

Summarized perfectly...

suck up.... :glare:  :glare:

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 21
WPG Gizmo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,5:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I always wondered why there was a bead on the barrel when shooting at the target I never see the bead :D

--------------
Gary, Gizmo, Kiwi and Woodstock

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 22
rosies dad Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,6:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I got a couple of those fiber optic sights, I dont aim, but the brightness of the optic kind of helps me keep "wood on wood".
The kit comes with white, orange, and lime, in large and small dia's.
I pretty much stick with the orange.

--------------
There are two seasons, BIRD SEASON and getting ready for BIRD SEASON.
 Post Number: 23
pheasent 89 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,6:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I use a green fiber sight (the thin one) I am a one eyed shooter ,not that it is right but I just was never taught the right way ,my grandfather I guess never new this . But a couple years ago I tried hard on clay games and just never could do any good  with any of the far shots with 2 eyes opened. But the closer shots I seem to have no problem.
 Post Number: 24
pheasent 89 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,6:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Also just thinking if you shoot trap with 2 eyes and your gun shoots high how do you keep the bead under the bird if you dont see the bead. I know they do it but it just seems hard to me.
 Post Number: 25
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

Location: Southern Illinois, waiting to shoot, no wait, waiting to practice
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,7:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Pheasant 89:

The shooter does not keep the bead under the target... they keep the gun under the target.  Its a slightly different animal with trap and now is showing up in skeet and sporting.  The shooter sees "space" between the target and the gun but is still not looking at the gun.  Try to get the "aiming reference" thing out of you assumptions.  If PC or I could stand over your shoulder for about 10 shots you would understand that you, as he said, are concentrating on the target not the barrel/sight/muzzle.... JUST THE TARGET...

As a shooter you should be working from the sub conscious.  Here is why...  Lets compare the conscious and the sub conscious as computer power...  The sub conscious in mass size of computer power would fill the old World Trade center, The Empire state building, the UN Complesx and 20 or so vertical blocks of downtown NYC.  The conscious by comparison would not fill a sewing thimble....  Which one do you want to rely on ?

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
 Post Number: 26
wkburns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012,4:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Churchill rib with silver bead.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
popplecop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012,5:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

What PC said and whatever bead is on the shotgun I'm shooting at the time.

--------------
VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc. Life Member, Wisconsin Waterfowl Assoc. Life Member
 Post Number: 28
browndog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012,10:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

On my camo pump duck gun: a piece of orange weed whip cord.

When I noticed the original had unscrewed and was lost...  I melted the end of the cord, stuffed it in the hole and clipped it off with sidecutters :D  Stayed in for 2 years so far...  :p

--------------
We've yet to meet a UJ'er or "lurker" and their dog(s) we didn't like.
Paul and Hoby
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan
 Post Number: 29
Don Moody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012,11:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Well, as stated, there is no "need" for a bead, but if I were going to put a new bead on a barrel just to "dress up" the gun a bit, I would use a Bradley type Red or White bead.

http://www.csmcspecials.com/Bradley_Shotgun_Sights_Red_p/ph141.htm

http://www.csmcspecials.com/Beads_Sights_s/1.htm

--------------
Ole Cowboy
 Post Number: 30
Curt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 11 2012,11:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

It's amazing to me that all around the world shotgun manufacturers are putting ribs and beads of various types on their guns.  These guns are obviously designed to shoot flying targets, clay or feathered.  How after all these years have these gun makers not figured out that the beads serve no useful purpose on these guns?
Reading this thread one would think the bead should be an after market option...no?

--------------
"A man's ego is a helluva weight to be carried by his dog"
32 replies since Feb. 10 2012,12:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media