[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What type of sight/Bead do you use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
terrym Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,12:52  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Wondering what most folks use as a sighting aid? Do you just use the factory single bead or an aftermarket one? I have seen some larger fiber optic types and wonder if they are worth trying? What about a second ( center ) pin? Are those popular?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
scottspec2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,1:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Use your eyeballs.

--------------
It's cold here.
 Post Number: 3
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,1:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(scottspec2 @ Feb. 10 2012,1:30)
Use your eyeballs.

Technically that's right.  Shouldn't be looking at the beads when shooting.  That said my trap and skeet guns have fiber optic front and ivory(white) in the middle. Hunting shotgun brass or ivory front bead no middle.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 4
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,1:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You point a shotgun, aim a rifle.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 5
scottspec2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,1:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Yea you'll have to excuse my grabassery.

I'm sure that some sights maybe help form a nice sight picture or w/e, but I know when I'm shooting, either clays or live birds, I don't even notice the sights.  I stare down the target and shoot when it feels right.

--------------
It's cold here.
 Post Number: 6
flopez Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,1:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

For the most part, I just use whatever came with the gun.  Then try like he11 to ignore them!

Frank

--------------
I wish I could wind them up and put them back in the trees - Burton Spiller

Μολών λαβέ
 Post Number: 7
Skybuster Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,2:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Some time back I got a fiber optic magnetic one that fits over the rib on my 425. It's OK I suppose for hunting snipe at night with a full moon. It was too distracting so it sits in a box with other worthless stuff I've acquired over the years...

--------------
I don't feel old.  I don't feel anything until noon.  Then it's time for my nap.
- Bob Hope
 Post Number: 8
Briarscratch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,2:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

One of the best grouse shots I know shoots a beadless gun.  As has been said, the key to shooting flying is good mount, a solid cheek weld and eyes laser focused on the target.  The bead is almost irrelevant.

That said, some guys I know who are left eye dominant (most of us are right eye dominant) have success  using the fiber optic aftermarket sights because it helps them overcome their eye dominance issues.

If you're right eye dominant, keep it simple.  The second you start looking at the bead is when you start missing.  Trust me, I learned the hard way.

--------------
Surveyor of Thickets
 Post Number: 9
12ette Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,2:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

No bead.  On my favorite grouse gun there is no bead.  

If you can see the bead, you have already missed IME.  I can see in my mind's eye missed shots, in them I always see the bead, shots made, I see the target getting hit.
 Post Number: 10
fase3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,2:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Like a small white bead up front on clays guns along with a tiny steel middle bead to use as a reference when shouldering the gun. Bird hunting it does not matter as long as it isn't one of those dang fiber optics and if it is so it will be replaced with something more to my liking. Then that's just me.
 Post Number: 11
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,2:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Cant say no beads cause I leave em alone but... and its a big one....  If you are looking at the bead you are aiming the shotgun and that just will not work.  You may see it in your
peripheral vision but you should not be looking at it because you are then not concentrating on the target...

Trust your eyes to giude your hands.... it will work.  Ya may need some practice and perhaps a lesson but it works....

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
 Post Number: 12
jmooney Search for posts by this member.
Ladies Auxilary Enforcer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,3:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I honestly couldn't tell you.  I never see it.  Only thing I can't stand is the fiber optic things.  It's like having a lighthouse on the end of your barrel that you have to look around to the target.

--------------
jollysportingbear.tumblr.com

"I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

-L. M. Montgomery,

**Post hole free since 2003**
 Post Number: 13
Rex Hoppie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,3:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I prefer gold beads but none of my guns have one.  Instead I have silver beads, one has a red bead, and a couple have bright pink fibre optic beads. When shooting while hunting I do not see them or use any of them.

The sights on the two guns with factory fibre optics are all beat up from traversing the covers here in the fringes of the range.  Pieces are broken off and missing, and the retainer rings are bent.  They are still there but look like hell.

I once tried one of those magnetic fibre optic sights.  I relied on the magnet to hold it on, against my better judgement.  It is laying out there somewhere.

--------------
I will not hunt unless alone or with someone
 Post Number: 14
JustinCase Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,4:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have shot a beadless gun.  Didn't know it until I got home.  I considered that a good sign.
 Post Number: 15
Curt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,4:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I think all you guys should have a gunsmith remove the bead from your shotguns.  Why not, your not using them anyway?

--------------
"A man's ego is a helluva weight to be carried by his dog"
32 replies since Feb. 10 2012,12:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media