Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 20 Gauge Paper Hull, Reloading?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
springerguy Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:00  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hi all!

RST makes paper hulled 20 gauge shells...lite -2.5 inchers... my wife shoots them.

I have a lot of these once fired and I am looking for a reload formula that is tested and safe.  Ideally I am looking for a  low pressure (light recoil) load.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  

Does anyone else sell a paper hull 20 gauge shell besides RST?

Many thanks!

--------------
M.R. Montgomery, outdoor writer for the Boston Globe  responded to a letter.  The letter writer asked “How could I learn the skills and traditions of the upland shooting life?”  Montgomery responded, "Find yourself a gentleman with a dog."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

what are you using for powder? I've got a load i use thats about 1150 with 5/8 or 3/4 ... powder puffs..... but its a 2 3/4 load... I have a buddy who shoots them thru his uber old parker (one of the worlds fair guns) all the time.... I'd bet negligible pressure difference in a 2 1/2 hull...... Just remembered I have those same rst's in paper... my reloads are significantly lighter in recoil

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 3
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,6:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(springerguy @ Feb. 09 2012,5:00)
Does anyone else sell a paper hull 20 gauge shell besides RST?

Many thanks!

Far as I know no one else does. Big selection in 12 gauge but not 20.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 4
Skybuster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,7:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The papers are straight-walled hulls and the only two wads that are made for that configuration are the Federal 20S1 and Gualandi wad. I heard there is a Versalite wad in 20ga that's also made for straight-walled hulls but I've not seen them on the shelf. It is regrettable that little reloading data is available for many of the 20ga hulls on the market.

--------------
I don't feel old.  I don't feel anything until noon.  Then it's time for my nap.
- Bob Hope
 Post Number: 5
bosco mctavitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,8:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

eehh...no  biggie, remmie gunclub/gameload hulls are usually available for the taking by the hundreds at most of the clays ranges I frequent.  They load up with STS recipes, last plenty long and they're free.  I load em down to whatever pressure/recoil I want as there are zillions of recipes available, lots of wads, etc.  You guys try the new claybuster 3/4oz wads?  Nice low pressure/low recoil stuff, lots of recipes, and best of all no fillers!!

--------------

Please consider our early successional habitats before not printing this email.
 Post Number: 6
springerguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,11:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

what are you using for powder? I've got a load i use thats about 1150 with 5/8 or 3/4 ... powder puffs..... but its a 2 3/4 load... I have a buddy who shoots them thru his uber old parker (one of the worlds fair guns) all the time.... I'd bet negligible pressure difference in a 2 1/2 hull...... Just remembered I have those same rst's in paper... my reloads are significantly lighter in recoil

I haven't purchased any components yet...  Wanted to have a look at recommended formulas first.  Can you share a specific formula?  With the load being used by my wife I'm liking
significantly lighter in recoil
 :)

I have the RST hulls and would like to use them... But if there is a good formula for a different hull (2 3/4 or 2 1/2).... Please let me
know.

--------------
M.R. Montgomery, outdoor writer for the Boston Globe  responded to a letter.  The letter writer asked “How could I learn the skills and traditions of the upland shooting life?”  Montgomery responded, "Find yourself a gentleman with a dog."
 Post Number: 7
Tim Frazier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,9:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have been using the new light green claybuster 3/4oz wad and the lowest listed green dot recipie in the new catalog/guide.  Even in a 5 3/4lb gun they are creampuffs, just too fun really.

I would think you could call them and ask if you should follow straight hull or tappered hull guidelines or possibly the folks at RST.

Of course I'd be happy to buy them off of you if your just trying to get rid of them!

--------------
"Not all who wander are lost." Hoppie 14'
 Post Number: 8
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,9:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(springerguy @ Feb. 09 2012,11:07)

I haven't purchased any components yet...  Wanted to have a look at recommended formulas first.  Can you share a specific formula?  With the load being used by my wife I'm liking
significantly lighter in recoil
 :)

I have the RST hulls and would like to use them... But if there is a good formula for a different hull (2 3/4 or 2 1/2).... Please let me
know.

about 13 grains of green dot, win 209 primers, balistic products SG20L wads (to take up space..no filler with the 5/8-3/4 in 2 3/4hulls) and whatever yellow hull I have floating around.... made up some with about 11 grains once... they are ok in the summer but sloooooooooow in the winter.... check wtih sidney Wi .. I loaded up some for his daughter... she seemed ok with them

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 9
SydneyWI Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,11:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

about 13 grains of green dot, win 209 primers, balistic products SG20L wads (to take up space..no filler with the 5/8-3/4 in 2 3/4hulls) and whatever yellow hull I have floating around.... made up some with about 11 grains once... they are ok in the summer but sloooooooooow in the winter.... check wtih sidney Wi .. I loaded up some for his daughter... she seemed ok with them

I've loaded hundreds of those since and they are light enough that the kid can shoot 50-100 of them with no issue whatsoever, no flinch and no complaints of a sore shoulder. (12 yr old)
I shoot them myself on the skeet range and have killed a pile of woodcock and a few grouse with them. Perfect fit for a light weight gun doing high volume shooting IMO.
They are inexpensive to load and work extremely well, easy to get components for as well.

--------------
"Not every topic can be a springboard for your ego gratification and self congratulatory needs."

"I don't think many of us can stomach a full plate of sunshine and daisies and kumbaya singing everyday without a little cerebral stimulation every now and again. "
-thornvalley 19 February 2009-
8 replies since Feb. 09 2012,5:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media