» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Left hand & twin triggers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Lou P Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,4:20  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Are there many left hand shooters out there shooting double triggers.  Seems they are built for right hand shooters.  Do the lefty's have a problem with them.  Thanks for any help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
stripersonfly Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,4:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

My son and I both shoot off our left shoulders, and do not have a problem with the RH trigger configuration.  

I have not heard of this from others either, so I think you could adjust easily.
 Post Number: 3
springerguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Never had any trouble with right handed double triggers... just with a cast off stock.  Try shooting one and see how it goes for you... I don't think you'll have any trouble.

--------------
M.R. Montgomery, outdoor writer for the Boston Globe  responded to a letter.  The letter writer asked “How could I learn the skills and traditions of the upland shooting life?”  Montgomery responded, "Find yourself a gentleman with a dog."
 Post Number: 4
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Beretta double trigger sets(as installed by Coles) are in line..... other mfg's are off set.... I've heard of lefty's bending the triggers to be more in line   or left biased... but as I think about it a right hand shooter has the front trigger deep and the back trigger shallow with no ill effects... can't imagine it would make that much difference the other way...

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 5
Dave Medema Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I shoot lefty and double triggers.  I have them heated and bent for a better feel.  No big deal.  Any smith can do.

--------------
Eng. Setters, sub gauges, Brook trout
 Post Number: 6
GB Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:37 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Dave Medema @ Feb. 09 2012,4:30)
I shoot lefty and double triggers.  I have them heated and bent for a better feel.  No big deal.  Any smith can do.

Absolutely! I HATED double triggers before I had them bent for me, now I prefer them

--------------
http://tailfeathersandtrout.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 7
bigjohnsd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,7:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Never bothered me.

--------------
"To the hunt---the ancestral bond that brings all men together
regardless of nationality, regardless of custom.
Long live the hunt." - Unknown

We spend too much time "Pole Vaulting over Mouse Turds" in life and especially here!

"Never Kick A Fresh Turd On A Hot Day." -Harry S Truman
 Post Number: 8
Lou P Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,10:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Those of you who bent triggers are they crossed and no longer vertical, if so how does it effect trigger pull.
For those of you who got used to it have you had double fires or a sore finger from hitting the rear trigger when pulling the front.  Sorry for the questions but would like to get a new gun.
 Post Number: 9
Chukarman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,11:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I shoot left handed and have a number of double trigger guns. I have my smith bend the trigger spoons so that they lay slightly to the left side.

It is also possible to 'swap' the triggers on many guns so that they are true left hand triggers. This is not that big a deal, but I do not need t go this far.

--------------
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 10
Natty Bumpo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,12:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Chukarman @ Feb. 10 2012,11:34)
I shoot left handed and have a number of double trigger guns. I have my smith bend the trigger spoons so that they lay slightly to the left side.

It is also possible to 'swap' the triggers on many guns so that they are true left hand triggers. This is not that big a deal, but I do not need t go this far.

Lefty here too.

What the C-Man sez is really the right way to do it.  Those operations plus a bend to cast on really starts to add up $$$$$. Good 'smiths dont work cheap and I dont blame them either.  Plus some stocks just cant be bent enough to suit  or wont "stay" bent.

The biggest problems I've had with DT guns is when the trigger guard or triggers themselves are too small for my hands. And just fuuggeettaboutit when wearing any kind of gloves. :down:

A few true LH guns have been made, mostly English, but are rare and usually high dollar pieces.

NB

--------------
"A Dog, A Gun, and Time Enough"
George Bird Evans

NRA Life Member
 Post Number: 11
LeFusil Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,3:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Southpaw here too. Shoot double trigger SxS's. Never messed with having triggers bent, rearranging, etc. Never even crossed my mind to do it, never has been a issue and I can shoot relatively well. Have had stocks bent to neutralize a bunch of cast off to either neutral or a slight bit of cast on, but I've owned many more doubles that I've never touched and I shot them just fine too. The only thing that seems to bother me if there is in excess of cast off, like 3/8" or more.  Had a Darne V-19 that was extremely difficult to shoot well because of the excessive cast off.
 Post Number: 12
Bob Blair Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,3:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've found it to be a total non-issue. I've never had a trigger bent and never had a problem with doubling or a pinched finger. In fact, I never even thought about it until you asked the question.
 Post Number: 13
Dave Medema Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,4:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

My triggers mechanically worked fine the other way.  I didn't pinch my fingers, etc.  But bending the trigger/spoons just made everything more comfortable.  YMMV.

--------------
Eng. Setters, sub gauges, Brook trout
12 replies since Feb. 09 2012,4:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media