Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Erik & 870 fans..., wanting quick advice...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dakota Dogman Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:07  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hey Guys, I know it has been asked / discussed several times, but I have not paid any attention to it, because for the life of me I have never been able to get a pump to work for me.

Now I have an assistant wrestling coach who loves his 870 (12 ga) but really needs to do something with the barrel so he can continue to chase ducks with it.  

We are about 2 weeks out from the end of season, & 4 weeks from our awards banquet.  At that time I would like to present him a new barrel for his old beloved 870 as a thank you (he is a volinter who puts in amazing amounts of time / money & energy).

So ... the goal = 870 barrel that can handle steel shot; choke tubes optional.

I know there was something said about what barrels could go with which age guns. ( I think his is a early 80's era Wingmaster.)

Please give me direction...
what was the dividing line?
what should I expect to pay?
what barrel length for an 870 duck & goose gun?
best places to find it?

Thanks in advance.
God Bless,

--------------
Life is too short to hunt behind someone else's idea of a good dog.
... we still live in a time when old dogs die... (in "Thy Kingdom Come" 9/23/12)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Eric is your man on this question.

Sometimes he is a bit confused, but usually he is the go to guy for this stuff.

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 3
GB Jack Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I hope Erik corrects me if I'm wrong, but all modern 870 barrels I'll fit the wingmaster reciever for steel, that being said pay special attention to what size shell the reciever can take. I ordered a few for my old one a few years ago from a link Eric provided, I love it. And for what its worth, a 28 barrel on mine works best for balance

--------------
http://tailfeathersandtrout.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 4
popplecop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,7:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If his current 870 is chambered for 3" shells just buy him a new 870 barrel, it will be chambered for 3"ers.  Even if his 870 is chambered for 2.75" shells it can be converted to 3"ers.  Personally when useing a 12 for ducks I use 2.75" shells anyway.  New barrels are tubed too.

--------------
VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc. Life Member, Wisconsin Waterfowl Assoc. Life Member
 Post Number: 5
KerryLuft Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,9:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Once you decide what you want, the man to go to is Dominic at:

B & M Specialties
6021 Hickorywood Drive
Speedway, IN 46224
Phone: (317) 291-6558

He has lots of Remington barrels and is very fair to deal with.
 Post Number: 6
LostintheOzone Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,10:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I consulted Eric last year about this very thing. I would look for the thread but I'm too lazy. I put a new barrel on an 870 Wingmaster that is about 40 yo. with his help.

I wanted a lighter barrel/gun so bought a new light contour 26" barrel with tubes. It put my gun at about 7lbs and makes a real nice upland gun for chickens.

There is no problem with fitting a new barrel to an older gun as popplecop said. The barrel will be 3". If you have a 2 3/4" gun it does not matter. Just feed it 2 3/4" shells and all is well. They make left and right hand barrels so be sure you know which one you want. I think the std. barrel is still available if he would rather have more weight up front. All new barrels can handle steel. I think I paid about $235 for the barrel.

That's what I know or think I know. Eric will clear this up if I'm wrong.

Jim

--------------
If you love your freedom thank a vet.
 Post Number: 7
John Rose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,10:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Any Remington barrel from 1980's is already safe with steel if it is Modified or more open. He may not want a new barrel on his gun, I wouldn't. I would hate having an extra barrel that is not used, and the finish on the new barrel might not match the finish on the gun. What barrel length is it now and what choke? Is it a barrel length he likes? If it is and is a full choke, why not just have the current choke opened by a gunsmith? If he has to have choke tubes, why not have Briley tubes installed, which I bet is cheaper than a new barrel. As for 3" capability, it just is not necessary, even for geese. Remington and Winchester make 2 3/4" steel with an ounce and 1/4 oz of shot, which is the same as most 3' loads. The velocity is slower, but velocity is overrated if the proper shot size is used.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,10:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Here's the thread from last year. We tore this thing apart and put it back together.  :D Jim

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....t=68620

--------------
 Post Number: 9
budrichard Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,10:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

First, get the Serial Number and call Remington to verify the age. An 80's barrel should have choke tubes and be suitable for steel.
If it says Magnum on the receiver. the Receiver will eject 3" shells nicely, if not, to handle 3" shells, the ejector location must be changed and re spot welded onto the receiver and receiver re-blued, not worth the effort.
In the early 80's Remington introduced the 870 Express with receiver and barrels matt finished, so do you have a 'WingMaster' or Express if you want the finish to match.
So you need to know the Serial #, Magnum or not receiver, and whether 'Express' or 'WingMaster'.
BTW, I have never heard of left and right handed 870 barrels?-Dick

--------------
http://www.model21shotgun.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 10
erik meade Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,11:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You have gotten pretty good advice.  I agree with what John Rose says.  What is wrong with his old barrel?

All 870 barrels that are no tighter than mod. are steel shot safe.

Are you sure he wants another barrel?

As far as interchangeability the basics are pretty simple, assuming it is not the straight stocked "Special Field" model, then basically all right handed 12ga 870 barrels will fit all 12ga right handed receivers  If he has a non-magnum receiver then 3" shells will not eject reliably, but the barrel will fit and function fine.  The Magnum receivers have an "M" suffix on the serial numbers.  The 2 3/4" receivers have a "V" suffix.

***Little complication -  Many of the very recent barrels do not have a detent ball in the barrel ring, that is what keeps the magazine cap on most 870's.   If you get a barrel without the detent ball you can have one added cheaply by a gunsmith, or just buy a Wavy washer
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,11:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(budrichard @ Feb. 09 2012,9:57)
First, get the Serial Number and call Remington to verify the age. An 80's barrel should have choke tubes and be suitable for steel.
If it says Magnum on the receiver. the Receiver will eject 3" shells nicely, if not, to handle 3" shells, the ejector location must be changed and re spot welded onto the receiver and receiver re-blued, not worth the effort.
In the early 80's Remington introduced the 870 Express with receiver and barrels matt finished, so do you have a 'WingMaster' or Express if you want the finish to match.
So you need to know the Serial #, Magnum or not receiver, and whether 'Express' or 'WingMaster'.
BTW, I have never heard of left and right handed 870 barrels?-Dick

Dick,  I think your memory is about 5 years off.  The Remchokes did not start until 1986, and rolled out across the various configurations for a couple years after that.

The Express started in 1987.

Remington has made Left handed 12 ga off and on, in both Wingmaster and Express configurations.   I have a couple... in Light Contour no less!
 I prefer to use a right handed one with the safety converted to left hand.
 This is probably because, though I shoot off the left shoulder, I am right handed, so loading a right handed gun is more natural for me.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,11:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(John Rose @ Feb. 09 2012,7:40)
Any Remington barrel from 1980's is already safe with steel if it is Modified or more open. He may not want a new barrel on his gun, I wouldn't. I would hate having an extra barrel that is not used, and the finish on the new barrel might not match the finish on the gun.

I've also read this, I think Rem. stands by it. And that is a good point, he may not actually need or want another barrel to shoot waterfowl. But I think it would be a useful gift. A lot of people, including me, have more than one barrel for their 870. A tubed barrel allows you to do a lot of things with an 870. I'm not saying that is the case here as I don't know the recipient of the gift, but personally I would be happy to get one. Finish on a gun is usually not a huge consideration for a duck hunter. But again, I don't know the gentleman.

Jim

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Dakota Dogman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,1:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Thanks for the input guys.

As for this fellow... we have talked in the past & I know he has considered the barrel, but has trouble buying it when he can get a full gun for the price, but he loves the gun, but the $, but he & this gun have been everywhere.... Old barrel was bought with chuckar in mind, believe is Full choke.

Again, the goal is a gift. Can't steel his gun to send it to a gunsmith without his knowing...

God Bless,

--------------
Life is too short to hunt behind someone else's idea of a good dog.
... we still live in a time when old dogs die... (in "Thy Kingdom Come" 9/23/12)
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,1:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If you can find a light contour barrel for under $200 you are doing well. The LC barrels are my preference if you are going to have choke tubes. Probably the weight savings is not important for duck hunting ( maybe even worse ) but still it is what I would want. 26" or 28". I like the 26". But that is just personal tastes.

My favorite barrel for hunting is a plain, ic choked 26" barrels.

The express barrels will fit fine but can look out of place on a Wingmaster receiver. They also will rust in front of your eyes during morning duck hunt if you do not oil them well.

I think the guy Kerry mentioned is the guy that shows up at the big gun shows with a LOT of barrels. His prices are fair.

Virtually every small store gun shop seems to have an 870 barrel or two laying around
 Post Number: 15
John Rose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,2:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I know that I am old fashioned, but if he loves his gun, then consider that it really won't be the same gun with a different barrel. The balance just will not be the same; it might be better, but it won't be the same. Is it what he really wants, or is it really about what you think he wants? Maybe you should just give him the money, or a gift certificate. Then if he wants a new barrel he can buy it, or he could use the money to get Briley tubes, open the chokes, whatever.
18 replies since Feb. 08 2012,9:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media