Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Rifle, Want a Number 1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
shinbone Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,2:47  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Huntschool - Thanks for the info. I'll do a Google search when I get a chance to get more info.

--shinbone
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

FWIW, my go-to eastern rifle is a 7x57mm - can't imagine needing more.   But, of course, messing with different cartridges is tons of fun.

I always loved the looks of the Ruger #1 - WAY cool!  I bought one a long time ago - no need - just thought they were cool -  and could never get it to shoot well.  Sent it down the road.  I hear that they no longer have accuracy problems, but my experience with that rifle was enough to turn me off.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 18
12ette Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,8:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Thanks guys I appreciate the input.  Noting the varied opinions my difficulty in making up my mind is just.  

I think over all I am leaning to the 7x57 RSI.  Or the the 45-70, its really a coin flip.  Hell maybe I'll buy both and sell the one that loses favor.  

Tim, thanks for the heads up on the .257 Roberts never even considered the cartridge, looks like a nifty little bullet.
 Post Number: 19
Virgil Kane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,8:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm a 7x57 fan and have several bolt guns in that caliber. I'd go with the 7x57. I also have a couple 45-70's, #3 Ruger and 1886 Winchester. If you do get a shot at 150 yards with a 45-70 your going to have to do some quick  thinking before you shoot because at that range the bullet drops like a rock where the 7x57 you don't have to think and just line up the sights and squeeze the trigger. If you have hunted deer before especially still hunting like you say then you know you have very few seconds to get the shot off. The trajectory of the 45-70 will complicate the shot and until that becomes second nature you'll be missing a lot of shots. IMO the 7x57 becomes a more all around rifle for both long and short range for ALL game in the lower 48 and most of Alaska too and has a cool factor with the full lenght stock.

Virgil

--------------
Character, it's what you do when nobody is watching
 Post Number: 20
mike campbell Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,10:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

What, no pictures, Mr. Hartman? :oh:

I'll oblige. :)

I don't believe Ruger #1's are not inherently inaccurate. They just pose different challenges in getting them to perform to their potential. I've owned nine #1's and properly bedded (there's the rub) each was cabable of 1.5 MOA with factory barrels; some better.

The above gun would shoot .75 MOA with it's factory heavy barrel in 25-06. Rebarreled to 6mm BR, it was a true 0.5 MOA gun. I shot many 7/8", 5-shot groups at 200 yds with it. Kepplinger single-set triggers were an integral part of those packages. My first .17MachIV was a 0.5 MOA #1 in the day when the only component bullets available were the Hornady and the Remington which could be bought in bulk. They made fine varminters in spite of bucking conventional wisdom shooting 2-piece stocks of fancy walnut.

Again, proper bedding is paramount, and from a maximum accuracy standpoint, I'd vote against a Mannlicher forend. Still may be acceptable for big game though. The only one I ever worked with was a custom .22LR conversion of a #3. It was a 1 MOA gun, too, but being a rimfire no doubt contributed to its success.

The only one I took deer with was a .257 Roberts using 120gr Noslers. I never owned a 7x57 but I'd be OK with that choice. They sure are heavy, but that wasn't an issue with my style of still hunting in the PA mountains. If you're a still hunter and/or stalker, nothing adds panache like a single shot.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
12ette Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,11:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Wow, Mike that very pretty wood, have not seen such on a Ruger was it "upgraded"?

I am not too worried about 7lbs, that is not very heavy IMO.  It is indeed more than a stalking rifle traditionally weighs.  

I just wander the woods sometimes look at deer and think, hmmm I could shoot you, but... too far to drag.  Deer are shot by me more as the mood strikes than as opportunity presents.  I think my mood says shoot them with a cool Number 1.
 Post Number: 22
mike campbell Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Yeah, that was the first set  of stocks I ever ordered from Fajen and it was sight unseen. Needless to say, we were friends form then on.  :)

I just caught your reference to an aperture sight. I loved them on lever actions when I deer hunted in the Adirondacks, then later on SuperBlackhawks for hunting around my area. Don't think I ever saw one on a #1 but I like the idea.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
KYWindage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,9:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I own three model 1s. The first was purchased in 1967 when I was twenty, and I still own it. Three digit serial number, light .308 Winchester barrel with a beaver tail forearm. I believe these days it is called a Model 1 AB. Rather homely and only minute of deer accuracy, still I killed a rather nice nine point buck in 1976 with it. After a fire destroyed a bunch of my guns in 1999, I acquired a No1 .375 tropical. This rifle is very accurate and I love to shoot it with cast bullets, 200/220 grain deer loads and 300 grain cape buffalo rounds. It is scoped with a Leupold 1.75 X 6 but when hunting deer I prefer a New England Custom guns aperture sight.
on the front end I use the NECG post.

My last No 1 is a Model 1 B in .22 hornet. I bought this one second hand and it was manufactured in the 1980s. It loves 40-45 grain bullets and LiL' Gun Powder, and will put five in an inch all the time. with Barnes TSX bullets is is a quiet deer killer for cropping that doesn't disturb the neighbors. Yes, it is legal here in Kentucky.

With my limited experience with the number one, If I were to recommend one for all-round use, it would be a 1-A or 1-RSI in any "standard" caliber you prefer. My old .308 fills the bill, but anything from .243 to 30-06 will do the job too. Avoid the exotic rounds as they wont be available at local shops or at the big box stores and they don't kill any better than the old favorites. These rifles weigh about 71/2 pounds scoped which is about right. Have fun with your search!

--------------
I would rather miss a grouse while walking than kill a duck from a freezing blind.[B]
22 replies since Feb. 08 2012,8:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media