[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Rifle, Want a Number 1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
12ette Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:28  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Since I was a kid looking over gun brochures until the gloss was worn I have wanted a Ruger Number One.  I never bought one because there was no place to shoot one.  Well a few years back NY opened up a rifle zone in the southern portion of the state.  This had me shopping for a rife, I was off to buy a used Winchester in .33 Win.  Well I was stopped cold by my grandfather who gave me his Remington 78 in 30-06.  Damn!  See for as little as I hunt deer what more do I need than a 30-06.  

Well, I am back and I am buying a Ruger Number 1.  What I am having a hard time with is caliber and style.  This will be a walking around gun, I don't sit in trees.  My thoughts are the RSI version because a full stock is wicked cool.  I cannot decide between 30-06 for practicality or 7x57 for cool.  On the other hand I have been hankering for a 45-70 in a Number One.  The 45-70 is compelling because it too is wicked cool.  

I don't need a 300yrd tack driver either.  I only need 150yrd MAX gun.  I am in the NE and there are woods here.  Chances are high it will wear an aperture sight.

So anyone want to chime in and offer up an opinion.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Laminarman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a Ruger #1 in .243.  I can tell you the fit, finish and accuracy are incredible.  It's a bit big for me and I've thought of selling it, but I got it for a good price with the original box and letting it go is proving tough.  I'd say it has no more than a couple dozen shells through it, so I may just hang on to it.  That's not my point of the post, my point is that you need to buy one, they're great.  This gun is heavy for me, and I don't walk around with it.  But from a tree stand I've taken coyote's out to 300 yards without a problem.  I'm in the Binghamton area and if you can't find one to handle and are close to me you're welcome to come handle it and shoot it to see if you like them.  I'm considering one of their sporter models for something easier to carry.
 Post Number: 3
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

.35 akerly improved or .35 whelen... a straight .35..... or a .358

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 4
bobman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,10:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The ruger number one has always been my favorite rifle yet I've never owned one.

FWIW I would go for a 257 roberts. I have a model 77 in 257 roberts and its a joy to shoot and flattens deer, I've probably killed a 100 deer with mine.

No kick and lots of cool history.
 Post Number: 5
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,10:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I used to own a 1-H tropical model in 375 H & H . Great gun and accurate.  Sold to a friend who thought he needed it.  If me for a walking gun go for the 1-A. But that 7mm Mauser is a great cartridge.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 6
popplecop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,10:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Have had them in 25-06, 270 Win., 7x57mm and 45-70.  Only one left is the 45-70 I was given 23 years ago when I retired.  Very accurate, just loves the 350 gr. Hornady RN.  I have killed a number of deet with it and it will continue to be my favorite deer rifle

--------------
VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc. Life Member, Wisconsin Waterfowl Assoc. Life Member
 Post Number: 7
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

Location: Southern Illinois, waiting to shoot, no wait, waiting to practice
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,10:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The 1 A in 7x57 would be ideal and I would not hesitate to put a low power var. scope on it.  I have a 1 H 338 right now and its a killer.....

I have had several others and wish I had them back.  I don't personally like the full stocked model.  Just dows not look right to me...

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
 Post Number: 8
Mike Connally Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,12:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've had 3.  One in 6 mm Rem that wouldn't group inside of 4" at 100 yards.  One in .243 that wasn't any better.  Another in 7mm Mag that would shoot heavy bullets in 1 1/2 inches.  The first two had medium barrels and the large forend.  The 7mm had a medium barrel and the Alexander Henry forend.  They all wanted to string their shots.  When I contacted Ruger on the first two they said they fell within their accuracy standards.....

--------------
"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact"

__
"Hunting ain't a competition. You ain't trying to win any prizes. Hunting is watching the dog work, and taking it easy, and shooting just enough, and walking slow, and enjoying the day.

A man, well, he'll walk right into Hell with both eyes open. But even the Devil can't fool a dog.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,12:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Mike:

If I remember correctly, the "stringing" thing was a common problem and I think it was taken care of when they modified the forearm attachment.

My 338 will stack em in tight.  I also had a 1A 270 that would keep em tight but after three quick shots it would start to move a bit.  This did not bother me as the first shot was on the money and I did not buy a single shot to shoot fast....

"Single shot shooters only shoot once"

--------------
Shotgun Team Coach
 Post Number: 10
trust me Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,12:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Mike Connally @ Feb. 08 2012,12:26)
When I contacted Ruger on the first two they said they fell within their accuracy standards.....

Not what we would expect from such a well-regarded company...

I love the Ruger 1.  My father tried to talk me into buying one but I chose the TCR 87 instead.  Not a bad rifle, but not a #1, either.

The 257 Roberts and the 7x57 Mauser are the cartridges that pique my interest in the #1.  I agree that a walk-around rifle should wear iron sights.  Even a small scope throws the beautiful balance completely off of a slim single shot.

--------------
"So there I was, dragging my canoe behind me while cutting a hole through a wall of human flesh."
W.C. Fields
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 11
shinbone Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,12:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I, too, love the Ruger #1.  The Farquharson-type action is sweet and the rifle is an aesthetic home-run.  However, I never bought one because I heard from many sources that the accuracy was pretty bad.  Just curious:  When was the forearm hanger redesigned to solve the accuracy problem?

Instead of the Ruger #1, I ended up with two Winchester 1885 reproductions made by Miroku.  One is a High Wall in .325 WSM, and the other is a Low Wall in .22lr.  The High Wall has a full octagon barrel and the Low Wall has a half-octagon/half-round barrel.  Both are beautiful guns.  

I got the "non-traditional".325 WSM for elk hunting (which it has yet to do, BTW).  .325 WSM may not be the best caliber for a single shot elk rifle, but it was on close-out sale at Gander Mountain so I got it for relatively cheap.  The Low Wall was a NIB Gunbroker buy.  Somewhat surprisingly, the Low Wall cost far more than the High Wall.

The .325 High Wall shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards out of the box with factory ammo.  Haven't had a chance to shoot the Low Wall in .22lr, yet.

A comparison of the No. 1 and the High Wall by Chuck Hawks:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_browning1885_rugerNo1.htm

--shinbone
 Post Number: 12
whdtt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,1:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Not to dissuade you from anything, but when I bought my first (and only) rifle, I spoke with a gunsmith about my choices.  I too wanted a "walk-about" gun, with capability to shoot those rare "powerline" shots of ~150yds.  

This is what the 'smith told me: the guns are HEAVY, and larger than they need to be.  Not something that I'd want to bush brush with.  Not only that, but b/c of their forearm bolt/barrel design, they are inherently less accurate.  He said 3" in 100yds would be all that I could expect, which is accurate enough, but there were just better choices for me, especially since this was my one and only all-around gun.  

Now, I've always loved the looks and design, but I passed.
 Post Number: 13
walks with gun Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,1:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Wow 12ette you've picked 3 of my favorites. I bought a #1 AB in 30/06 about 25 years ago and have taken 75-100 deer with it. I really want another one in 7mm for my walking iron sighted gun.  I'm a firm believer if more people hunted with a single shot there would be less wounded game.
 Post Number: 14
Peterson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,2:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'd go 7x57 or 6.5 Swede.  I'd get a lever gun in 45-70, just seems like a lever cartridge to me.

I passed on a number 1 once and I still regret it, it was 7mm stw.

--------------
This Machine Kills Hipsters
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,2:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Shin Bone...

(Edit Note) the Hawks article is the fix I was thinking about

I am not sure.. just going off vague memory but I think something was done about the early 90's or...  dont hold me to that.

There have been several single shot sites on line that have had discussions on "fixing" the problem.  I'll look back and see if I can find something but in the m,ean time one could likely go to a site and ask the question.

I also have a 270 in the Browning High Wall, full oct barrel and it flat out shoot a 270 the best of any of my 270's save for an older mod 70 with a Heart barrel.

--------------
Shotgun Team Coach
22 replies since Feb. 08 2012,8:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media