Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Winchester Model 12 in 28 ga., value/< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
plainsman Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:14  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Supposedly 1939, although I haven't handled it yet.Field grade, used, but no rust,...maybe 80% to 85%. I know they dont show up too often, and just wondering what folks think this gun might be worth?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Brad Adrian Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

It has been a few years since I was selling guns for a living, but 4 years ago that would have probably sold for 12-1500 bucks. I think the Winchester craze has died down some, along with most other used guns, so less than that now.

--------------
Dog hair is a condiment- Melvin
 Post Number: 3
erik meade Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,1:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Brad,  I am surprised you were selling them that low.  Seems the 28ga Model 12's around here go for a lot more than that.  I wish I knew you were able to find them that cheap a few years ago.  We could have teamed up and made a decent chunk of change buying them at that price and them selling them here in Southern Illinois.
 Post Number: 4
walt lister Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,1:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

IF it's original, and that is a big if, and in %85 condition my two year old Blue book says $3400/$3800. In todays soft economy it depends on how bad the seller wants to sell but I would doubt if it would go under $2000.
 Post Number: 5
Backlash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,1:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The 2 I have seen in shops were both north of $2000.  I don't know how original they were and one looked very well used.

--------------
Jesus saved souls with the truth and caught fish with a gillnet.  He was also emoticon free.

"So I threw lead and cussed, and clawed my way up another mountain"  -Cooter Brown
 Post Number: 6
Point5 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,2:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I agee on the higher estimates with decent blue and no pitting, rust.  Even a converted 20 ga. didn't seem to matter.

--------------
Cue the deer.
 Post Number: 7
telamb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,3:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Find one for 2 grand and I will take it.
 Post Number: 8
Brad Adrian Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I was thinking models 42's, not a model 12 28. Ridiculous what people will pay for a production pump gun.

--------------
Dog hair is a condiment- Melvin
 Post Number: 9
rosies dad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,12:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

No idea of the real value of a ORIGINAL Mod 12 in 28ga.
I have heard they are really rare, only talked to ONE person in 62 yrs who claimed to have one. He wasnt showing it though, so I dont know if it existed or not.

--------------
There are two seasons, BIRD SEASON and getting ready for BIRD SEASON.
 Post Number: 10
Rusty Trigger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,5:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Selling or Buying?
 Post Number: 11
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,6:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(walt lister @ Feb. 08 2012,1:18)
IF it's original, and that is a big if, and in %85 condition my two year old Blue book says $3400/$3800. In todays soft economy it depends on how bad the seller wants to sell but I would doubt if it would go under $2000.

I have seen some ads in popular shotgun magazines that advertise win model 12's in 28 gauge that they are asking $4-6000. Even though it is a soft economy there are people with money willing to spend it.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 12
Greg Hartman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,6:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I don't understand the desirability of those guns.  An M12 20 gauge has the same size action, etc, and throws a bigger load.  The M12 16 gauge is even better - same size receiver, lighter and much more powerful.  But then, I don't understand the whole collector mentality.

--------------

It's not just a passtime - it's a way of life!
 Post Number: 13
Samuel Hoggson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,6:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Greg Hartman @ Feb. 09 2012,6:21)
But then, I don't understand the whole collector mentality.

Worse, most original 28 ga M-12s are balky cyclers.  They tend not to feed shells from the mag very well.  Unless the shell nose has a good radius it's apt to butt up against the bottom of the chamber.  Oddly, the non-original Simmons conversions are much more reliable.

Original 28 ga guns, skeets or fields, are now so valuable that you must be able to identify a 28 ga receiver.  No, it's not just the "28" stamped on the back.  

28 ga M-12s are stout though.  Repros are affordable.  

Sam
 Post Number: 14
Backlash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,12:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Samuel Hoggson @ Feb. 10 2012,6:30)
Original 28 ga guns, skeets or fields, are now so valuable that you must be able to identify a 28 ga receiver.  No, it's not just the "28" stamped on the back.  

28 ga M-12s are stout though.  Repros are affordable.  

Sam

What are some of the things to look for to accurately identify a 28 receiver?

--------------
Jesus saved souls with the truth and caught fish with a gillnet.  He was also emoticon free.

"So I threw lead and cussed, and clawed my way up another mountain"  -Cooter Brown
 Post Number: 15
Samuel Hoggson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,2:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(Backlash @ Feb. 10 2012,12:19)
What are some of the things to look for to accurately identify a 28 receiver?

The single most important thing to identify is the cartridge cutoff raceway.  On 16s and 20s the lower edge runs about dead parallel to the bottom of the frame.  On 28s it is machined to run at an angle.  Here is a thread with a couple of pics from Pumpgun's cell camera that show the angled raceway quite nicely compared to a 16 ga gun.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs....1916241  

Notice also the more prominent shell plate stop on the 28 ga gun.

Next, IMO, is the "28" stamped on the back of the receiver.  Problem here is this is alot easier to fake.  

A bunch of other stuff, like proper barrel stampings etc. - basic info you can get from Madis and Riffle and Stadt.

Sam
14 replies since Feb. 08 2012,8:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media