» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Help me understand stock dimensions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RGSER Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,10:51  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a Browning Lightning in 16, 20 and 28 ga.  The Drop at comb is 1.5" and drop at heel is 2 3/8".  I have handled Caesar Guerini Sporting Clays guns with 1.45 DAH & 2.15 DAC -- these dimensions do not fit me well with the same lop as I see a lot of rib. I have a chance to buy a CG woodlander at a very good price from a source a couple thousand miles distant. The woodlander is a field gun with the following measurements. DAC 1.45  with DAC being 2.25 .  The woodlander specs seem closer to those of the Browning's 00 will there be a noticeable difference??
Thanks, J

--------------
A Pointing Dog & a 16GA -- What more can a man need?
www.rgs.ca

"Brie Time Well Spent de Cambri"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Bonasa Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,11:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The drop on the gun you are looking at is only about 1/8" less than on the guns you like.  I think you will be fine.  Test it on the impact board and if it is too high, you can have it bent down quite easily for about $150.

--------------
"The gun is seldom responsible for the misses. The fault lies with the chap who is looking down the barrel."   Burton Spiller
 Post Number: 3
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,11:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Are the length of pull the same between the CG wood and the Browning.  If so you should be fine.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 4
mike campbell Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,11:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

There's no way to know for sure. Make sure a return is possible, then ask yourself whether it's a worthwhile gamble should you have to pay for roundtrip shipping.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Mike Connally Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

There is more to gun fit and dimensions than just numbers.  A gun with a narrow comb will generally require less drop than a gun with a full, rounded comb.  This will also affect cast.  You aren't really going to know until you get a chance to handle it and/or shoot it.

--------------
"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact"

__
"Hunting ain't a competition. You ain't trying to win any prizes. Hunting is watching the dog work, and taking it easy, and shooting just enough, and walking slow, and enjoying the day.

A man, well, he'll walk right into Hell with both eyes open. But even the Devil can't fool a dog.
 Post Number: 6
RGSER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Thanks All!  I will make arrangements for an inspection period if possible -- Canadian dealers usually do not offer that service. I don't mind paying shipping both ways as it's under $20.00 via post -- we don't have to go thru FFL's here -- just pop it in the mail.
Again -- thanks, John

--------------
A Pointing Dog & a 16GA -- What more can a man need?
www.rgs.ca

"Brie Time Well Spent de Cambri"
5 replies since Feb. 07 2012,10:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media