Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: beretta or ruger, opions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
blueman Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:22  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

buying a new gun sat. would like some opinions either silver pigeon or a red label 28 gauge
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Look them both over, shoulder, swing, and make sure  the gun fits then buy the Beretta.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 3
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Whatever one you choose I would advise 28" barrels to help with swing dynamics.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 4
WPG Gizmo Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
Location: Summers here and I am praying for the fall to come quickly
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The English stocked 28Ga 28inch barreled red Label is the best shotgun Ruger ever made they just got everything right with that gun :D

--------------
Gary, Gizmo, Kiwi and Woodstock

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 5
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If you don't reload the 28 is going to be expensive to feed.... 20ga is a better choice......(BTW I have a spare 28laoder for sale if you just must have the 28 :;): )

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 6
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hunshatt @ Feb. 08 2012,7:28)
......(BTW I have a spare 28laoder for sale if you just must have the 28 :;): )

Not any more.

You just gave it to your friend in NJ.

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 7
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 08 2012,7:34)

(Hunshatt @ Feb. 08 2012,7:28)
......(BTW I have a spare 28laoder for sale if you just must have the 28 :;): )

Not any more.

You just gave it to your friend in NJ.

what about all that crap you were running a few years ago about you can't be bothered reloading cause you buy so cheep at the club?

But no problem... it's yours... you need hulls? I think Hartman has an ass load of rio's he doesn't load.

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 8
pastor grouse c Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The Ruger 28 ga is the one shotgun they made that I like a lot.  They got that 28 gauge right, great balance, comes up and swings great.  Hard to beat in a 28.
 Post Number: 9
WI Brookie Guy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

If you were looking at any other gauge other than the 28, then I would've said Beretta hands down.  But as already mentioned, Ruger nailed the 28...so it's a horse apiece in my opinion.

That is, unless you throw aesthetics into the equation -- Beretta tends to have better fit and finish.

--------------
Gerard Haines

Post Number: 10
quailguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Beretta Silver Pigeon for sure.

Just make sure you get the ones made on a 28 frame. I had one of the early SS II 28 gauges and it was on a 20 gauge frame. Actually weighed as much or a little more than a 20 if I remember right.

The Beretta SP guns are very well made; mine operated flawlessly, and looked good doing it.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/687-silver-pigeon-ii/

--------------
Quailguy
 "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
 Post Number: 11
Trigg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,3:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

A Ruger Red Label 28 was the first shotgun I ever owned or shot having gotten involved in all of this fairly late in life.  It was fine gun and worked very well for me.  They are nice durable guns and they are overbored which may be useful if you are going to shoot some of the Winchester 1 ounce loads.
I really enjoyed mine; however on aRuffed Grouse  hunt in Fairbanks I met a young boy and let him shoot it and  he loved it.  It was the first gun that weemed to work for him; he was over joyed;  the end result is his dad wanted to buy it ASAP.  The end reult its still in Fairbanks with that young man, but it was a good gun as is a Beretta, but everyone I know who ever had a Red Label 28 likes it.  I still miss mine form time to time.
 Post Number: 12
Brad Eden Search for posts by this member.

Group: Administrator/Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,5:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I had a Beretta Onyx in 20 gauge that I had custom restocked and I so wanted to love it. Not an expensive model but really handsome with nice wood. I couldn't hit a blimp at 10 yards with it. I literally made a friend take it home with him after he shot lights out with it on a hunt. (payment plan in place). Others I know love them to death.

I have the 28 g Ruger w 28 inch barrels and even I can hit a bird now and then with it. Its deserving of the following it has fostered.

Since Ruger has stopped making them I imagine they may be hard to find and/or expensive.

--------------
Sometimes you gotta say the heck with it, grab a springer and just go hunting. Unknown UJ Member

If you feel you will be indignant or become hostile about having your Reply/Posts edited or deleted or Topics locked and removed please do not participate on the Upland Talk Bulletin Board.
Board Guidelines since 2002
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 13
terrym Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Actually the gun will pick you. When you snap it up ( wear your hunting coat too ) and it feels great then that's the one.
 Post Number: 14
Bonasa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Brad Eden @ Feb. 08 2012,5:11)
I had a Beretta Onyx in 20 gauge that I had custom restocked and I so wanted to love it. Not an expensive model but really handsome with nice wood. I couldn't hit a blimp at 10 yards with it. I literally made a friend take it home with him after he shot lights out with it on a hunt. (payment plan in place). Others I know love them to death.

I have the 28 g Ruger w 28 inch barrels and even I can hit a bird now and then with it. Its deserving of the following it has fostered.

Since Ruger has stopped making them I imagine they may be hard to find and/or expensive.

I had the Beretta 686 black onyx in 20 and purchased a premium upgraded stock from Orvis (designed for their Uplander models).  Same experience.  I couldn't hit a damn thing.  Finally, after missing countless birds, I shot at one on the ground and hit a tree over its head by a foot and a half.
That was my first experience with gunfit and stock bending.  I had the stock bent and actually started killing a few birds with that gun.  I really liked it.  Fit and finish was quite good and a dynamic handling little gun.  Got the itch to try a sxs and traded it in on a custom Arrieta order.  Once I tried and acclaimated myself to the sxs, I never wanted to shoot an o/u again.
Anyway, I know nothing about Rugers, but Beretta is about as good a gun for the money as person can find anywhere IMO...

--------------
"The gun is seldom responsible for the misses. The fault lies with the chap who is looking down the barrel."   Burton Spiller
 Post Number: 15
fuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Beretta guy here!  Handled a few Rugers, but not enough to comment, but every Beretta I own is solid, and worthy of being carried for a day/season!
23 replies since Feb. 07 2012,9:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media