Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Any STI 1911 owners on here?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Laminarman Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,6:19  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I don't need another handgun, but I want one.  I don't have a 1911 model yet and I hear great things about the STI line.  Looking for a 6" 9mm for plinking/steel plates and carrying around the property (coyotes), but I may go .45, not sure yet.  I'm small framed, smallish hands, so I like the single stack.  I have a compact .40 Glock for my carry gun so this isn't for self defense.  I want a fun gun.  Am open to other 1911's upon recommendation.  Would have to leave my town and drive to see anything.  We have no dealers here since the flood.  Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
WPG Gizmo Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

STI is a fine 1911 as are many others also look at the Rock Island Armory guns I have one and they can flat out shoot for a lot less money.  FWIW a 1911 should always be in 45 ACP  :D

--------------
Gary, Gizmo, Kiwi and Woodstock

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 3
bigjohnsd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I shoot a Taurus PT1911 and am real happy with it especially  for  what I paid $575!

--------------
"To the hunt---the ancestral bond that brings all men together
regardless of nationality, regardless of custom.
Long live the hunt." - Unknown

We spend too much time "Pole Vaulting over Mouse Turds" in life and especially here!

"Never Kick A Fresh Turd On A Hot Day." -Harry S Truman
 Post Number: 4
Skybuster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'd agree that if it is a 1911 you must have, then make it an honest .45 cal.  If it is a 9mm or .40 for "fun" then I'd give careful consideration to a Springfield XDM.

--------------
I don't feel old.  I don't feel anything until noon.  Then it's time for my nap.
- Bob Hope
 Post Number: 5
LostintheOzone Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,8:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

This 1911 thing is just nuts. How is a guy supposed to know which one to buy? There must be 20 companies making 1911 pistols. I would suggest that you not get too hung up on the name and find a good deal on a used one.  I spent several months looking at higher end guns. Two dealers told me Kimber was by far the most popular. I also know from experience that SIG builds high quality guns. I didn't buy either one. That's how messed up this 1911 thing is. I found a used 38 Super Gov't model Colt that I like a lot.

But don't do what I did. You can do better than a Colt and buy a 45. Here's one to look at with a good price.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=278260

Jim

--------------
I don't shoot steel. That's an eastern bloc thing.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Yes I've heard the "It must be a .45" argument before!  I just heard STI made a great product.  I guess if I got a .45 I am set if I want to try bullseye pistol too, huh?  I looked at Brazos doing the STI with a match trigger.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

It all depends on what your price range is you can get a new 1911 from $450 up to $2000+.  The lower end guns have cast frames the higher have forged.  If your looking at a STI your well into the $1200+ range same as a Kimber.  Look at the Ruger 1911 they are hard to find but well worth the money

--------------

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(WPG Gizmo @ Feb. 08 2012,7:08)
It all depends on what your price range is you can get a new 1911 from $450 up to $2000+.  The lower end guns have cast frames the higher have forged.  If your looking at a STI your well into the $1200+ range same as a Kimber.  Look at the Ruger 1911 they are hard to find but well worth the money

My budget is $1200 and under, and I gladly pay extra for fit and finish up to that point.  I like smooth guns with some esthetics to them, whether long gun or hand gun.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Lot of good new guns in that price range.  If it was me I would be looking at the Ruger SR1911 can be had for under $700, Springfield Range Officer about the same price.  Springfield Operator is at the top of your price range. There are a few Kimbers in your range.

I would look for a series 70 1911 it does not have the disconnect that the series 80 does and thus has a better trigger and if your not opposed to buying used the market is wide open

--------------

-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I agree with Gary about the series 70 if you decide to buy a Colt. The beauty of a 1911 is the trigger and the 70 has the better trigger. I have a series 80 and the trigger is better than my P220 so I don't have any complaints.

A word of caution about Colts. They built some junk in the 80's and 90's. It's a very small company with an aging work force and pistols is not their bread and butter like Kimber and some others. Colt has a bit of a cult following and they seem to hold their prices well. New Colts are hard to get in some models because of sporadic and low produduction. Most of the gov't models built last year (100 years of service) were sold before they were delivered.

Jim

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,2:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm home sick today with a bad cold so I'm doing some research for you.

This site has some good unbiased reviews. STI looks like a good US company with a good product line. If you read everything on this site like I did your head will probably explode. But you have to start somewhere I guess. One guy bought 2 new Colts and immediately returned them to the dealer and got his money back. That's my kind of review.

Jim

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/sti_trojan.htm

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,3:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(LostintheOzone @ Feb. 08 2012,2:12)
I'm home sick today with a bad cold so I'm doing some research for you.

This site has some good unbiased reviews. STI looks like a good US company with a good product line. If you read everything on this site like I did your head will probably explode. But you have to start somewhere I guess. One guy bought 2 new Colts and immediately returned them to the dealer and got his money back. That's my kind of review.

Jim

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/sti_trojan.htm

Dude, thanks!!! I'll check it out when I get out of work.  What I read on other 1911 sights before had alway given great props to the STI line, and apparently Brazos trigger job for a few hundred bucks is well worth it.
 Post Number: 13
Bullwinkle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,4:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

this will be my next one..

Springfield Armory 1911 Operator
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Buy me one too. I'll pay you back when I can.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Bob Blair Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

If you're going to spend that much on a 1911, might as well get a Colt. Check this one out.

Gunsite Colt
15 replies since Feb. 07 2012,6:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media