Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fox 20 ga. Sterlingworth - Based upon “issues”, wo, want advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 16
tut Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,3:02  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Hunshatt @ Feb. 07 2012,10:50)

(Riffle Runner @ Feb. 07 2012,5:39)
The serial numbers all match (frame, barrels and forend iron).  

uhhhhhh this....

Missed that.  Buy away, its a shooter for sure and a Fox shooter in 20 gauge for that price is pretty amazing.  The barrels if sound even if lopped a bit are by themselves worth every bit of that.  I paid $550 for a decent set of 12 gauge barrels (they were ejector A grade barrels) last year and thought I stole them and immediately went into my happy dance mode.  Which is actually pretty scary to witness in person.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 17
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Huntschool @ Feb. 07 2012,11:52)
If you dont want it call me before Tim...  I am a much nicer guy....  LOL....

:oh: ............. :down:  :down: ........... :D

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 18
WPG Gizmo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

OK buy it double the price then sell it to Tim :D

--------------
Gary, Gizmo, Kiwi and Woodstock

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 19
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(tut @ Feb. 08 2012,3:02)

uhhhhhh this....

Missed that.  Buy away, its a shooter for sure and a Fox shooter in 20 gauge for that price is pretty amazing.  The barrels if sound even if lopped a bit are by themselves worth every bit of that.  I paid $550 for a decent set of 12 gauge barrels (they were ejector A grade barrels) last year and thought I stole them and immediately went into my happy dance mode.  Which is actually pretty scary to witness in person.

yur gonna love this.... a buddy found a early A extractor 12, with 30" #1-2's(heavy) .... grabbed it for me.... stock's junk but the barrels ring for days...450.00

One of the projects I've got going is my Grand dad's late A grade 12 ga extractor with 28's(think they are 3's) .... I'd rarely carry that in the woods for grouse, figured  it'd make a nice ditchchicken gun, have a pretty good idea I'd use it for clays with 30's...... now I've got them.......  it'll get a stock the set of 30's for clays, and the 28's will go on when gushy invites me west to hunt the pretender to the upland crown....

now I just need to sell off the receiver

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 20
Tim Frazier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,10:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(mike campbell @ Feb. 07 2012,9:21)
Why would anyone spend $550 on a Fox 20ga with all the other choices in that price range?  ???

:p

--------------
"Not all who wander are lost." Hoppie 14'
 Post Number: 21
garyRI Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/

This site might have some helpful info.

If that stock fails on you I doubt you will be able to have it fixed for less than $400. I had a full wrist break on a Sterlingworth 12 & seeing how hollowed out the stock is at the wrist I didn't consider trying to fix it myself.

Looking back I find I have far more regrets about things I did not do then things I did do.
 Post Number: 22
mike campbell Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Bryan Lee @ Feb. 07 2012,10:13)
It's easily worth $550.00. I'd love to know if the serial numbers on the barrel and frame are the same.

I'm no Fox expert by far, but I wonder were ALL Savage era Sterlingworth's stamped Fox Sterlingworth on the action or were some just stamped Sterlingworth.

Anyone know for sure??

Bryan

That's a fair question and one I've never heard discussed.

Clearly, if it says "Fox Sterlingworth" it's a Uitica (Savage era). That was a change that did not occur until after the sale.

Savage also pretty quickly changed the shape of the toplever, but not before they used some Philadelphia style levers on guns marked "Fox Sterlingworth."

Stands to reason there would have been some  Philadelphia "Sterlingworth" frames used to assemble guns in Utica.

Dave Noreen likely knows if such exist. You could ask on the Fox site.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

uhhhhhh this....

I guess that makes it a Savage/Utica era gun.

Does it have a grip cap? I think elimination of the grip cap was a Savage era cost cutter.

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I believe the SW 20 that I sold to one of the board members here was marked Sterlingworth and had the Philly toplever and forend with Savage marked barrels.  It was a 1933 gun.  Maybe he'll chime in.

--------------
 Post Number: 25
tut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,8:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

There were a lot of transition guns out there after Fox sold out to Savage and moved the operations to Uttica.  I've had SW labeled Fox Sterlingworth, with Savage marked barrels, with the philly style splinter forearm and the capped pistol grip and the nicer lever.  I think for a while they were just grabbing parts out of the bin and putting guns together with whatever.  

The worse ones IMO are the very late Fox Sterlingworths with the flat frames, blocky style forearm and non-capped pistol grip with a through bolt.  Fairly hard to come by but goodness are they ugly.

Didn't help when early Fox guns were sent back to Savage for work and they routinely extended the chambers out to 2 3/4" and marked "Chambered for 2 3/4" clearly on the barrels thereby making the barrels look like crap IMO.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I had a rare through bolt SW that while rare was just plain ugly and handled like crap.  As much or more than any gun, a Sterlingworth is not a Sterlingworth is not a Sterlingworth.  From pin guns to the end the variation is extreme.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Tim Frazier @ Feb. 08 2012,9:20)
I had a rare through bolt SW that while rare was just plain ugly and handled like crap.  As much or more than any gun, a Sterlingworth is not a Sterlingworth is not a Sterlingworth.  From pin guns to the end the variation is extreme.

Thats a pretty accurate statement.

I have a minty, sans box, Utica 16 ga made from Philly parts that is flat new and just a perfect example of a Fox in it's heyday.

I think I'm gonna drag it out and let Wade (Bonasa) slay a few birds with it next week.

Buy that gun.

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 28
Bonasa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,12:00 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 08 2012,9:27)

(Tim Frazier @ Feb. 08 2012,9:20)

Thats a pretty accurate statement.

I have a minty, sans box, Utica 16 ga made from Philly parts that is flat new and just a perfect example of a Fox in it's heyday.

I think I'm gonna drag it out and let Wade (Bonasa) slay a few birds with it next week.

Buy that gun.

Sounds sexy!  May need a pinch hitter if you wanna be sure to eat though... :D

--------------
"The gun is seldom responsible for the misses. The fault lies with the chap who is looking down the barrel."   Burton Spiller
 Post Number: 29
Russell Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,9:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Don't be enticed with this stupid bidding war. Sell it to to me for $550. It will be a better story if the gun goes to someone who has been saving his spare change for years waiting on the right opportunity to own a Fox 20ga.

--------------
Cheers,
Russell, Hunter, Little Abby, Stella!
 Post Number: 30
Fin2Feather Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 10 2012,1:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(Tim Frazier @ Feb. 08 2012,7:30)
I believe the SW 20 that I sold to one of the board members here was marked Sterlingworth and had the Philly toplever and forend with Savage marked barrels.  It was a 1933 gun.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Tim,

If you're referring to the delightful little gun I bought from you, sorry; it's Savage all the way: Stamped "Fox Sterlingworth", uglier Savage-style top lever, Savage-marked barrels, larger forend.  Despite that it's a hair under six pounds, shoots right where you point it, is finished out as well as any Philadelphia Sterlingworth, and is a joy.  Philly be damned, I say  :;): !

I do have a Sterlingworth 12ga which shows to be a 1936 gun, Savage marked and has an uncapped pistol grip, but with the Philly-style top lever.  Go figure.

--------------
Steal a little and they throw you in prison; steal a lot and they make you King. -Bob Dylan
34 replies since Feb. 07 2012,5:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 3<<123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media