Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fox 20 ga. Sterlingworth - Based upon “issues”, wo, want advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Riffle Runner Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,5:39  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

A buddy got a Fox Sterlingworth to purchase from a private seller.  My friend doesn’t need it (already has a Fox 20 ga. and a basement full of other project guns to work on.  So he asks me if I want it.  The serial numbers all match (frame, barrels and forend iron).  Issues include:  1) the frame is a Philadelphia Fox (only says “Sterlingworth” on side, not “Fox Sterlingworth”) but the barrels are stamped Savage Arms, Utica, NY.  So it appears that the frame was set aside and sold with the company assets to Savage and then put together later.  2) Gun has a pinned stock (seems to have split slightly and was repaired with a pin/screw that has been covered with plastic wood (not a bad job, really).  3) Last issue, barrels measure 28 3/8 inches; so it appears they have been cut.  But both barrels measure modified to full choke and the barrels seem to touch at the end.  The choke constriction does not go far into the barrels (less than 1.5 inches which is different from the other Philly Fox my buddy owns where the choke constriction begins about 3 inches into barrels.  (He’s not sure if Philly guns had bored the chokes differently than Savage or if this is another clue that barrels have been cut.  Barrels have 80%+ blue, frame has 5% case colors and it fits me.  So I estimate condition at 35% using blue book rating scale.  Gun works fine.  How many of you would purchase this gun at $550?

--------------
I grieve for pleasures I have missed, but spare not a thought for pain I have neglected to suffer
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,5:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Riffle Runner @ Feb. 07 2012,5:39)
 How many of you would purchase this gun at $550?

Is it tight on face and pin?(yes)  ... whats the gun weigh?(right around 6lbs give or take a couple oz)  any dents or bulges on the barrels?(no)  tell yur buddy if your gonna give him 550. I'd gladly give him 600... :;):

only question I have is how you know it fits you? you measure it against your fitting #'s or an empirical guess? the drop at heel Might be 2 1/2-2 5/8, which might work, or not.... (if it was a earlier gun I'd say no way... cause it'd be close to 3")..... not that any of that really matters if you can hit stuff with it.

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 3
WPG Gizmo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,5:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Steal it for $550  :D

--------------
Gary, Gizmo, Kiwi and Woodstock

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 4
Riffle Runner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,6:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hunshatt,

Yes, it is tight on face, no wiggle between barrels and action when forearm is removed; feels like 6 lbs. (not any heavier), and No I have never been fitted so I don't know my numbers.  I guess I was trying to convey that it does not have excessive drop and if I close my eyes and shoulder the gun the barrels are aligned when I open my eyes.  (Not perfect way to decide but.....)  I have 3 project guns currently and this one would be put in storage for at least a year until I get more experience refinishing wood on my beaters...  Just wondering if I’m really going to regret it if I let this one pass by. :down:

--------------
I grieve for pleasures I have missed, but spare not a thought for pain I have neglected to suffer
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,6:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

it's a very good buy... if you don't want it and your buddy wants to get rid of it I'd like a chance at it.

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
 Post Number: 6
Tim Frazier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:09 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The fact that the barrels have some choke and are past 28" makes them quite usable.  I have had two Fox 20 gauges and one for sure had chokes almost 4" so I'm sure someone measured to what they wanted and cut there.  Sad part is 30" twenties were always somewhat rare.

Stock issues always easier than metal issues so it seems like a deal even if you just put it away for another day.  You won't get many opportunities to pick up one for that kind of money without serious issues.

FWIW if you buy it and regret it, many of us would buy it.  I was just in Toledo last weekend and I was glad to hear today the Tony Packo's will stay open after the change of ownership!

--------------
There but for the grace of God, go I. (John Bradford)
 Post Number: 7
tut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,8:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Barrels are no IMO cut as they wouldn't be that far off of the standard 28" length.  The fact they have short parallel chokes is another clue its been cut.  My other question is do the serial numbers on the frame, receiver and forearm metal all match?  If not it could be a put together gun after the fact by a talented gunsmith.

The additional questions I'd like answered is the minimum barrel wall thickness and chamber length and do the barrels ring?

Could still be a good project gun destined to be a fine shooter.  I like Foxes a bunch and the 20/16 gauges are mighty sweet.  You just need to figure out what you really have and whether in the end you'll be happy with the outcome.
 Post Number: 8
Bob Blair Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,8:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'll go $650.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,8:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Bob Blair @ Feb. 07 2012,8:30)
I'll go $650.

:glare:  :glare:

--------------
 Post Number: 10
bosco mctavitch Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You guys make that price seem almost reasonable...I have seen more than one fox 20/16 ga go for more than that as parts guns WITHOUT the barrels.  550 is a ludicrously low price for a 20ga in virtually any condition, that's what I expect to see a poor-condition 12ga go for.

--------------

Please consider our early successional habitats before not printing this email.
 Post Number: 11
mike campbell Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Why would anyone spend $550 on a Fox 20ga with all the other choices in that price range?  ???

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(mike campbell @ Feb. 07 2012,9:21)
Why would anyone spend $550 on a Fox 20ga with all the other choices in that price range?  ???

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,10:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

It's easily worth $550.00. I'd love to know if the serial numbers on the barrel and frame are the same.

I'm no Fox expert by far, but I wonder were ALL Savage era Sterlingworth's stamped Fox Sterlingworth on the action or were some just stamped Sterlingworth.

Anyone know for sure??

Bryan

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,10:50 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Riffle Runner @ Feb. 07 2012,5:39)
The serial numbers all match (frame, barrels and forend iron).  

uhhhhhh this....

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

Location: Southern Illinois, waiting to shoot, no wait, waiting to practice
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,11:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I could be inticed into this frey...  I dont own a Fox and a 20 ga with Perazzi length barrels sounds interesting....

If you dont want it call me before Tim...  I am a much nicer guy....  LOL....

Buy that sucker... NOW

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
34 replies since Feb. 07 2012,5:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media