Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Patternmaster, any experience< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cthemfly25 Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,11:17  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've been smitten with the waterfowling bug.  I have a Vinci (3") and was told about the merits of the Patternmaster choke tube.  In fact a hunting buddy swears by it.  I think I understand the 'engineering' concept but I'm interested in hearing more about real life use.   Anyone using it?  What type of hunting?  It's pricey so is it cost beneficial?  Thoughts, comments, criticism?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
16GaGunDog Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,11:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I use it on my turkey gun.  It took some experimenting, but found the sweet spot with 3" Hevishot #6.
 Post Number: 3
GB Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,3:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

on geese they are magic, ducks, not wide enough in my opinion.

i feel they also work better on larger shot, specifically b and lower.
i wont go snow goose hunting without one. and for late season honkers, there death.

--------------
http://tailfeathersandtrout.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 4
Snipeaholic Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,10:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have the Beretta mobile choke unported close & mid range as well as the ported long range. I find the close range satisfactory for most of my shooting on waterfowl and clay targets. The mid range is pretty snug & the long is tight. Both the mid & long really crumple up the birds. I have other tubes & they sit home while my Patternmasters always are in my bag.
 Post Number: 5
GWPtyler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,9:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have a Patternmaster short range tube for my 870. I never take it out of the gun. Use it on everything from September sharptails to October mallards to December pheasants. Really likes the 2.75 and 3 inch shells. Seems if I pull the trigger with it, I have a lot less cripples than factory chokes. Maybe it's all mental. I dunno, but I like it.
 Post Number: 6
shoot-straight Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,10:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

i have an "extended range" one in my WF gun. its deadly on geese and ducks. id rather my pattern be too tight than too loose! i love it for pass shooting snows off my porch. it brings them down!

i actually broke it out in KS 2 years ago when the birds were flushing at 50 yards alot. it clobbered them with a load of 3" #4's. my buddies were amazed.

oh, almost forgot to add that it makes the gun absurdly louder than normal. i think its the porting.

--------------
Chief inspector of Mid-Atlantic Multi-flora Management Areas
 Post Number: 7
cthemfly25 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,10:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Thanks guys this was a big help but I'm still laughing at this one--"i love it for pass shooting snows off my porch."  Beautiful imagery :)

Anyway, the port, as with a rifle, will reduce recoil but increase the boom.  I don't have a recoil issue with the vinci or generally with rifles so I'll forgo the ported tube.  There is a long range for the 3" and the extended for the 3.5.  I was fascinated by the engineering concept and simplicity.  Anyway, I will get the long range and maybe even the mid range for ducks next year.  I generally hunt upland with a 20 and given the prices on these tubes, that will have to wait.
 Post Number: 8
shoot-straight Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,1:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

yep, im serious about that. when im home during the spring snow goose season, they fly over quite a bit. a loaded gun sits by the door. i step out, shoot, then back in. we even had one get stuck on the roof of the house once. my wife was awoken by a BOOM, then a THUD.... didnt have a ladder handy so i cast a rebel blug w treble hooks up there and snagged it to pull it down.  :D

snows are hated around here. if they are 80yds or less, im shootin. then my rabid lab cleans up the mess.

--------------
Chief inspector of Mid-Atlantic Multi-flora Management Areas
 Post Number: 9
MikeH. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You should also look at Wad Wizard. Similar concept.

I do all my hunting with WadWizard chokes, I will not shoot anything else. I hunt phez mostly. I use #5 and #6 shot. 1 1/4 oz. of shot.

I just bought a Win. sx3 in 20 ga. and will not hunt this fall before I get a WW choke for it also.

In the real world as you put it, they crush birds. I have only shot two honkers with it. Three inch #2 heavyshot. One coming in on the dekes, at 25 yards, in the face, stone dead in the air.
The other turning and going away about 40 yards, stone dead.

Good stuff.

Mike
 Post Number: 10
shorebird Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I guess I'm the minority here because I have had one for about 15 years and other than patterning buckshot well I can't tell a difference between my factory IC and Mod and the PM with non-toxic shot. YMMV

I would borrow one first if I could and pattern it before dropping that much coin.
9 replies since Feb. 07 2012,11:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media