Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fair price for 28 gauge accessories?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Danibeth Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,5:26  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I don't shoot a 28 gauge but have been thinking about it.  The problem is the cost of non-lead.  I have a chance to buy a nice 28 and with it there is a 28 ga. Mec progressive reloader with 300+ empties and a large amount of Bismuth #4 shotgun shells.  My problem is I have zero idea on what is considered "fair" on the shells or the reloader and could use some help with what a "good price" should be for these.  If anyone can help I'd sure appreciate it...thank you in advance.

Danibeth
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
WPG Gizmo Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,5:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Well a bottle of Bismuth #4 6.6 pounds runs $157.

The Mec Progressive figuring it is a Grabber and not a 9000 would run used around $350 so I would say $300-450 is a reasonable price for the reloading gear.  If it is a 9000 Mec figure $450-600 for the gear but it all depends on condition.  

What are you planing to hunt #4 Bismuth is rather large size shot in a 28Ga you would be better off with #7 or #6.

--------------
Gary, Gizmo, Kiwi and Woodstock

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,8:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I don't know that I would want the #4 shot in the bismuth, but i'm just looking for a fair price.  They're boxes of the shotshells already assembled from the manufacturer so I "suppose" if I wanted to use them on ducks while i was out snipe hunting then I would have that option.  

Thanks for the input...

Danibeth
 Post Number: 4
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,8:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Are they ten count boxes or twentyfive count boxes?

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,10:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Post Number: 6
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,10:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Anything under $50 box would be money well spent.

The long and short of it is, regardless of what price you can get the gun for, if you need to shoot notox, 28 ga. is a poor choice to go unless you are a dedicated reloader and shop your components well..

Shop for a 20 if you want a subgauge for notox.

If you can get the 28 and use it for clays and lead shot, by all means, get one.

JMO

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 7
WPG Gizmo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You could get the Nontox and then resell it to make some money back.  #4 shot in a 28Ga is likely not going to pattern well.  I love my 28Ga that is all I hunt upland with but I would not use it on ducks.  By all means get the 28 to hunt snipe with and if you have to use nontox you can get it in smaller size shot just be aware it is not cheap.

--------------
Gary, Gizmo, Kiwi and Woodstock

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan

In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
-- Voltaire (1764)
 Post Number: 8
popplecop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've shot teal in Louisana with my 28 with no. 4 bismuth,  this is factory loaded when Win. was selling it.  The 28 I used has 30" barrels choked IC & Full.  I kept all my shooting to 30 yds. or less and it worked out.  I like 6 bismuth better and have a limited supply that I use mainly for woodcock.  I have a MEC Sizemaster that I use for both 16 and 28.

--------------
VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member, Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc. Life Member, Wisconsin Waterfowl Assoc. Life Member
 Post Number: 9
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'm not a waterfowler, but I'm pretty sure popplecop could tell you:  if it's legal to shoot snipe with lead where you are, I think you might be in trouble carrying both lead and bismuth at the same time, and swapping when you see ducks working.  I think you can get into trouble for having lead loads on you if you're also carrying a dead duck or two, even though you shot them with nontox.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 10
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,9:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

double post

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 11
charlo slim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,10:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Larry Brown @ Feb. 07 2012,9:27)
I'm not a waterfowler, but I'm pretty sure popplecop could tell you: if it's legal to shoot snipe with lead where you are, I think you might be in trouble carrying both lead and bismuth at the same time, and swapping when you see ducks working. I think you can get into trouble for having lead loads on you if you're also carrying a dead duck or two, even though you shot them with nontox.

Correctamundo Larry, in most situations/areas anyway.  DB, you might take a look at these loads as a more "economical" nontox option if you decide to head down the 28 gauge road:

http://www.polywad.com/greenlite.html

I'd certainly agree with Mr. PC that a 20 would provide MUCH more flexibility and utility than a 28, particularly in the non-tox arena. It really tends to boil down to how much self restraint in range of shot selection one is prepared to accept.

Good luck, have fun.

--------------
Joe

I cried because I had no shoes,
until I met a man who had no dog.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,10:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Thanks y'all for the input...definitely given me good stuff to think on.  

Larry, yes we can shoot lead for snipe, but I only shoot nontox when snipe hunting since the opportunity is often there to shoot a duck and I sure don't want to get in trouble with The Man.

Danibeth
11 replies since Feb. 06 2012,5:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media