[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 3 of 3<<123

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trap shooting field guns, 20ga IC/M SxS< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
whdtt Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,12:57  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'll go with Larry on this one.  Gun fit and practice are HUGELY important, but so is confidence, especially with a repetitive game such as trap and skeet.  That said, there are horses for courses, and you simply don't have a trap horse.  Skeet, sure.  But 5-stand, SC, and trap WILL require more dedicated guns, at least more so than you're current set up.  IMO, you are starting off so handicapped as to the point of losing confidence.  

What you could do, either alone or in suggesting a new game to the group, is instead of standing at the 16yd line, all move up to the house, just behind it, or if its just you, stand on top of it (if its safe to do so).  IMO, it replicates upland hunting better than the 16 yd line, and your quick shooting set up is more apropos in that situation.  

Could PC make a set up like that work? Probably.  But I shot trap for 5 years with an upland set up, and never did better than 21 (I think).  With a true trap gun (loaned to me), the game almost seemed too easy.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 32
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,1:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Certainly no disagreement about gun fit and form.  That being said, I also agree with what whdtt said about the particular gun in question (SKB 100 20ga, 25") being a significant handicap--less so in skeet, but certainly in trap/SC/5 stand.  There are very "common", inexpensive, non-dedicated target guns that can work very well for those games (the 870 and 1100 both coming immediately to mind).  But I'd be amazed to see anyone score in the 90's with one of those light little SKB 20's at SC.  I shot an 85 once at SC--well over my head--with a 12ga sxs choked M/F.  But it weighed about 1 1/2 pounds more than the SKB in question, and had a few inches more barrel as well.  You can do OK--even very well--with field guns at target games, but you have to be at least somewhat selective in your choices.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 33
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

Location: Southern Illinois, waiting to shoot, no wait, waiting to practice
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,2:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Not trying to fluff anyones feathers, and I may be wrong, but I think we need to keep in sight the gentleman was only shooting the gun for personal enjoyment and as acclimation to it (the gun).  I dont suspect he was looking at shooting it in competition.

The original comments were for his feelings of "poor" shooting to start with.  I suspect this is a gun that he will hunt with so the advice given on practice, fit, etc. is applicable.  Not the “here is what ya need for trap” stuff.  JMHO

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
 Post Number: 34
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,5:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Good points, Huntschool.  I think what we're saying is that that particular gun is likely to be very frustrating at trap; somewhat less so at skeet.  Personally, I never shot one of the short-barreled Model 100 20's that well at skeet either.  However, since my Sauer 20 works pretty well for me at skeet, weighs pretty much the same and only has an inch longer barrels (but more open chokes), it may have been different balance--or maybe not as good a fit--that caused me problems.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 35
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

Location: Southern Illinois, waiting to shoot, no wait, waiting to practice
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

Thanks Larry....

PS:  Gotta love those Sauer's...

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
2014 SCTP RU Collegiate National Champions
34 replies since Feb. 06 2012,12:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 3<<123
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media