» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: FN SxS's, What Do You Know About Them?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gjw Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,6:50  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

:) Hi all, as you may know, I'm not into Belguns, but was looking around and this one caught my eye (the engraving reminds me a lot of those found on Merkels):

http://www.mwreynolds.com/HTML/shotFN16Boxlock.html

So...what can you tell me about the SxS's that FN made? Also, what models did they made.

Any comments on this gun would be great also.

Thanks again!

Greg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
StormsGSP Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,12:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I had a sidelock 12 gauge. Beautifully engraved, rather light, just a very nice gun. Took it apart with my gunsmith and he was very impressed with the internals.

--------------

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.  -Henry David Thoreau, Walden
http://alexinnz.wordpress.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 3
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,4:26 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I have revisited this post several times.  

I have no experience with the FN box locks or sidelocks but.... as I am sure you already know, they are built well to say the least.  The weight seems good and the engraving is really neat.  At 28" the barrels are a good length and you can always have the chokes "worked" to suit your needs.

This gun has a great look and I think would be wonderful in the uplands.  I assume, (don't remember seeing how the offer goes) that there is a three or so day trial.  If I were looking, I think I would give it a shot.  If I had not just made a deal for a 16 I might be right behind you on this one.  JMHO

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
Southeastern Illinois College
 Post Number: 4
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,4:28 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

almost bought a 29" box lock funeral version in 16ga... FN makes good stuff. Probably hard to go wrong it it's tight, and reasonably priced

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 5
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,7:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I think that FN made no attempt at marketing their side by sides here in the states. Perhaps they were too busy with the over under that they built for Browning??

Alex's FN was the first sidelock I'd seen in the flesh and it was a really nice gun.

A buddy of mine found a very basic boxlock FN at a pawnshop years ago. It had 30 inch barrels, 2 9/16 chambers and a blued action. It was light for 30 inch barrels and pointed really nice. He pretty much stole it for $350.00

I've seen a couple of this basic type boxlock thru the years at local gun shows. They don't tend to be overpriced.

That boxlock on your link is the most ornate FN boxlock I've ever seen. Would look good in someones safe and in the field!!

Bryan

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
 Post Number: 6
ghostdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,2:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Dang, Greg. You have an eye for guns and knack for finding good ones.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,5:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

:) Hi all, well I pulled the pin on this one!! It seemed to be in the best shape of the various 16ga guns out there for the price range I was looking for. In fact, I got her for much less than the asking price (by $500), so I think I did ok. Now to find out the model (if any!).

Thanks so much for all your input, it helped me out quite a bit. I'm selling off my heavier 12ga guns and going to lighter more nimble guns, and I have to admit, I have a very warm soft spot for 16's.

Again, thank you all, you've been grand!

All the best!

Greg
 Post Number: 8
wkburns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,6:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Thats a fine looking gun! Do you plan on taking that out when you hunt with guys like me that have lower class guns like my Dickson :D ?

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(wkburns @ Feb. 07 2012,6:57)
Thats a fine looking gun! Do you plan on taking that out when you hunt with guys like me that have lower class guns like my Dickson :D ?

:) Hello Wade, yes my friend, I bought it because of you!!  Your "type" of gun just does not go well with my type.  But one must adapt to ones surroundings.  A Boito SxS or perhaps a Stoeger Uplander is more your "style"  but I just can't bring myself to that low a level.  So when I'm seen with the common folk, such as yourself, I won't be to out of place with the boxlock I bought.  :;):

Ta, ta

Greg
 Post Number: 10
Huntschool Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,7:38 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Greg:  

Man, you got a great gun and at a good price.  Congrats and shoot her well... If not and you want to dum it let me know...

--------------
Bruce A. Hering; NSCA Lev III Inst.
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor
Game Preserve/Shooting Complex Mgt.
Shotgun Team Coach
2011 Division I ACUI National Champions
2011 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2012 ACUI Div II National HOA Champions
2012 SCTP Collegiate Champions
2013 ACUI Division II RU National Champions
Southeastern Illinois College
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,8:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Huntschool @ Feb. 07 2012,7:38)
Greg:  

Man, you got a great gun and at a good price.  Congrats and shoot her well... If not and you want to dum it let me know...

:) Thanks so much for all the kind words!!  Much appreciated!!

All the best!

Greg
 Post Number: 12
wkburns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,11:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(gjw @ Feb. 07 2012,6:34)

:) Hello Wade, yes my friend, I bought it because of you!!  Your "type" of gun just does not go well with my type.  But one must adapt to ones surroundings.  A Boito SxS or perhaps a Stoeger Uplander is more your "style"  but I just can't bring myself to that low a level.  So when I'm seen with the common folk, such as yourself, I won't be to out of place with the boxlock I bought.  :;):

Ta, ta

Greg

Have I got a deal for you! A Boito 20ga with 28" barrels weighing in at just a smidge over 7lbs. Horrible wood and metal work. I think we could work out a trade :laugh:

Sad thing is I have one just as described above!

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(wkburns @ Feb. 07 2012,11:54)

(gjw @ Feb. 07 2012,6:34)

Ta, ta

Greg

Have I got a deal for you! A Boito 20ga with 28" barrels weighing in at just a smidge over 7lbs. Horrible wood and metal work. I think we could work out a trade :laugh:

Sad thing is I have one just as described above!

:) OK Wade, you've got me hooked!!!  How about my Purdey, H&H Royal and my Henry Atkin?  Oh....how much to boot also?

I always have my eye out for a fine crafted gun from south of the border.  :p

Let me know your thoughts.

Be Good!!!!

Greg
 Post Number: 14
Kansas Big Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,11:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(gjw @ Feb. 07 2012,7:34)

Ta, ta

Greg

Now the BS is getting deep enough for rubber boots.   :D

--------------
13 replies since Feb. 06 2012,6:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media