Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: So tell me about the gun I just bought, SKB 500< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
casts_by_fly Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,6:02  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hi Guys,

So I'm not in the market for a new gun.  But as you do, I've always had my eyes open.  Moreso, I've been looking for a 30" barrelled 20 ga O/U around 6 lb.  Lately I've been shooting with some friends (getting them into shooting) on the local clays, and I've jsut thought that a nice O/U would be more practical than the very light Franchi I've been shooting.  Well, just checking the local shops online pages, I found a nice looking SKB.  I knew they get pretty good opinions on this board from people who know better than me for being good value used guns.  And, this one just looked nice in the pictures (decent wood and lots of engraving).  It had a bit going against it- 30" barrels, full and 3/4 chokes (labelled full and full, measured full and 3/4), 12 ga.  But I thought I'd take a look since it did look good.  

As soon as I shouldered it I knew I had to have it.  It is much lighter than I expected (7 3/4 lb) and the balance is perfectly centered even with the long tubes.  The action is buttery smooth to open, but locks tight like a vault.  It has a little palmswell which fits my hand perfectly.  And, there is the perfect amount of cast and drop to fit me.  I think it was just meant to be.  It is an ejector and chambered for 2 3/4", but I'd never had shot more than that in it anyway.

So now, I have two questions.  What else can you tell me about the gun that I don't know?  There is a top lug that I've never seen before (though I've seen round cross bolts on SxS boxlocks).

Second, what should I do with the chokes?  I'm going to leave them for now and see how it shoots.  I'll put it on paper and see just how tight it is with fiber wads (mostly what I shoot over here).  Never know, it could pattern a perfect modified with fiber.  Assuming not though, what do I open them to?  I'm thinking IC/Imod as general purpose, but I could be swayed.

I don't want to mention what it cost, but it was less than $500 (currency converted) so I think it was worth it.

Thanks,
Rick

Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,6:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

That is a very good looking SKB.  The 500 was the lowest grade,500-600-700-800. I had a 600 12 gauge with 26 inch barrels choked IC and Mod.  For the low end that gun is nice.  It looks like a Trap gun with the raised comb and higher rib. That might be why it is choked so tight. What is your intended purpose for this gun? That will determine what to do about the chokes.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 3
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,6:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You did well, for under $500.  The SKB's are solid guns.  Bores are chromed, so you need to find a gunsmith who can ream chrome (most aren't equipped to do so) to open the chokes for you.  The action is based on the Merkel, which also uses top bolts.  The result is an action that's somewhat deeper than others (the Beretta is shallower, for example), which bothers some people but is of no consequence to others.

Gun looks to be in pretty nice shape, although the forend strikes me as being non-original.  Maybe just refinished/recheckered??

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 4
RUFUS80 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,6:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The top fastener is called a Kerstan cross bolt. I think I spelled that right.

--------------
"The gun is the essential link between the man and the kind of sport he pursues. It is not enough that it should be well adapted to one of the other. For the best success,  it must be fully adapted to both"  - Gough Thomas
RIP Dad-KDW- 11/14/47-11/11/12
 Post Number: 5
Jay Barrows Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,7:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I owned a model 600 at one time. Nice gun. Mike Orlen had no problem adjusting the chokes in spite of the chrome lined bores. I was told by a fellow, who was the QC guy for Ithaca in Japan when this gun was manufactured, that the barrels were not blued, but were black chrome on the exterior.
 Post Number: 6
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,7:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You stole that gun for that price.

Nice.

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 7
Cooter Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,7:16 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Those SKB over unders are on the heavy side as you can tell from that one, but that is going to make a fine target gun--one I'd like to have.

They also have the reputation of being robust and lasting forever...

Good purchase, there.

--------------
"The worst poverty anyone can have is a poverty of mental interests."  Ernest Hemingway

Blow up your TV
Throw away your paper
Go to the country
Kill you a grouse

"I remember thinking the flush had sucked all the air out of my lungs."  DTB, 1-25-14
 Post Number: 8
Skybuster Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,7:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Yeah, you stole it alright! And cherry to boot!

--------------
I don't feel old.  I don't feel anything until noon.  Then it's time for my nap.
- Bob Hope
 Post Number: 9
Bryan Lee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2012,11:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 02 2012,7:13)

Nice.

+1

--------------
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot little puppies. Gene Hill
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012,5:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Hi gents,

Thanks for the kind words.  As I said, I didn't have a 'need' for the gun (do you ever after the first one?) so for intended use there isn't anything specific.  Over here I have my Franchi which is my main pigeon gun and carry gun since it is feather weight and I shoot it pretty well.  I have the little uggie which is an "I'm feeling lazy" day gun when I want something even lighter and smaller than the Franchi or need a break action (such as for dog training).  I don't shoot clays that much but this would be a nice clays gun.  It does feel solid enough to last forever and while it isn't as heavy as a full race gun, it still has some heft to it such that the 21/24 gr clay cartridges we use here will have no recoil.  I guess in that instance I'd want a general purpose choking (thus the IC/Imod idea).

Yeah, the price was pretty good.  Then again, it isn't an uncommon price for that type of gun over here.  Beretta, Browning, Miroku, and various english SxS hold their value (as do sub gauges).  Anything spanish, guild made or off brand italian, or anything a little less known typically can be picked up cheaper.  For instance, I was looking at E Rizzini's with side plates and in decent condition for £200-£300 ($300-$450).  Uggies go in that range all the time in 12 ga (I'm still looking for a sub gauge uggie).  What grabbed me about the price is that all of the other SKB 500's I've seen have been pretty plain engraving and often either blued or coin finish.  This one has great deep engraving and a black finish like I've not seen on a gun under £1000 before.  That there was some grain in the wood was enough for me to think it was a special higher grade of 500.

Larry,

The forend is a little lighter than the dark side of the butt, but it matches decently well when you look at the other side of the butt.  One side has a fair amount of dark grain which makes the butt look much darker than it is.  The other side has a bit less and matches pretty well.  If I decide to refinish it (and I'm considering it since I have all the stuff and experience to do it) then I'll darken both just a little and then the front just a little more.  The checkering patterns match on both and the metal fit on this foreend is too perfect to be a reproduction.

I'll let you guys know how it shoots for me when I get to shoot it Sunday.

Thanks,
Rick
 Post Number: 11
Larry Brown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012,7:42 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Rick--I didn't think the forend was a replacement, but perhaps had been redone.  Might be true of the stock as well, but if so, nice job.

Rufus, you get an A- on the top bolt.  It's a Kersten, essentially the same system Merkel used, which is more or less an adaptation of the Greener crossbolt we see on sxs, modified to work on OU's.  

The early SKB's did have black chromed rather than blued barrels.  Eventually, the Japanese equivalent of the EPA made them change that process because of the toxic chemicals involved.

--------------
Larry Brown
 Post Number: 12
Hunshatt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012,7:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Rick,
Far as chokes... it's kinda heavy for a game gun(as least for me , being the delicate flower I am :blush: ) If it were mine I'd  have screwin's installed and use it for a clays gun.... be in to it for less than a grand...

--------------
"we only get one shot at life. I intend to use it all up as best I can. Thus, double guns, setters, cane rods, sour mash whisky and traveling are 'enhancers' that take me in the direction of the primary goal"
Chuckarman, bird hunting Icon......6/17/2010
 Post Number: 13
valuman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012,8:54 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Feb. 02 2012,7:13)

Nice.

Could the low price be a reflection of the ditch chicken engraved on the left side?

:devil:

--------------
Only ONE week 'til grouse season!

I hunt because it keeps my passions alive, my memories fresh, and my senses alert even as my beard grows gray, and because I fear that if I stopped hunting I would become an old man, and because I believe that as long as I hunt I will remain young.
                                                              William Tapply
 Post Number: 14
telamb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2012,7:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Was that $500 uk money or US $500?
Still a nice gun I've have had a few myself great fine.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,11:36 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

I meant $500 US money (£300 UK money).

Thanks
Rick
15 replies since Feb. 02 2012,6:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media