Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tamales, ...tis the season.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Escopeton Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2012,10:35  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Pork tamales in the front of the kettle, butternut squash tamales in the rear.  Turnip greens/cheese tamales in the freezer.

--------------
Living large in the Southwest.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Ben Hong Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2012,10:59 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

"Normally" a post in this forum should be accompanied by a recipe. It is a food forum called "Upland Recipes" after all :;):

As for accompanying pictures, all I see are a bunch of dried leaves or husks. You guys sure eat a lot of roughage down there.

--------------
I don't hunt until after noon.

If a man says something in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2012,11:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Seasons greetings Ben.

The process is a little labor intensive; usually there is a filling, wrapped in masa and held together by corn husks - in the tropics the tamales are wrapped in banana leaves.

To keep somewhat upland related; I have make tamales from turkey.

The roughage is to keep us regular.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
idcut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2012,12:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

My wife makes tamales every so often. After viewing your tamale photos, I may have to hound her to make some-it's been awhile. Those look good, and the butternut tamales sound interesting.

The 1st time she layed eyes on the corn husks, she didn't know what they were for. They use banana leaves in her country for thee tamales

She's used a variety of different things overs the years. I think one can use just about anything to stuff them.

In the spirit of this forum, she made some out of pheasant one time. They turned out nice.
 Post Number: 5
Ben Hong Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2012,1:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Escopeton @ Jan. 02 2012,12:13)
Seasons greetings Ben.

Back atcha Tom.

I was just pulling your leg a bit. It seems that every culture has its own version of tamales...and they're all good.

When my mother and her cronies were still around, they would set a date and spend a day making the Chinese version of tamales joong in Cantonese or jongzhi in Mandarin. I am sure that if you google these words, you will get a better description of what I mean than I could describe. They were wrapped in bamboo leaves and bound tightly in the shape of a tetrahedron or double pyramid. Fillings always had sticky rice as a main component and the flavouring components could be sweet or savoury. The sweet is usually peanut paste, sesame paste, azuki bean paste; the savoury comprised Chinese sausage, peanuts, chestnuts, bbq pork, chicken, hard egg yolk, etc. These "tamales" are usually associated with the May Festival during the Dragon Boat races.

Now, the obligatory story :;):

Before I was married, I usually ate 2-3 meals a week at my mother's. One day despite my protestations she stashed 4 joong in my car. The next day, I went out for a bird hunt and got "turned around" for 7 hours, well into the night.  When I finally found my car, I was famished and was ready to eat banana peels when I spied the delectable "tamales" my mother had put there. That was the best meal to that point in life.

God, I do miss her still.

--------------
I don't hunt until after noon.

If a man says something in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2012,1:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(Ben Hong @ Jan. 02 2012,1:01)
I was just pulling your leg a bit.

I knew you were.  

I was thinking after I posted it that I have some pheasant (The Emperor of Game Birds) thighs in the freezer that are going to become upland tamales.  I'll post some photos of it.

--------------
5 replies since Jan. 02 2012,10:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

©2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media