Find Upland Journal on Facebook
Click to Make a Subscription/Donation
Bulletin Board Guidelines

Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Freezing Gamebirds, particularly woodcock...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Brad Eden Search for posts by this member.

Group: Administrator/Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011,11:41  Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I decided it was time to eat up all the Woodcock I had left from last fall-given the hunting season is fast approaching. I dont usually wait this long to eat woodcock but last year was a particularly good year for woodcock gunning.

In the past I had found freezing woodcock for more than 6-8 months results in a bit of a taint to the meat. That was the basic field dress and into a ziplock bag and into the deep freeze.

But now I always freeze woodcock and (grouse) encased or entombed in water/ice inside ziplock bags. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I thawed them all out, fileted off the breast and cut off the legs and used the following recipe:

Can't lose Woodcock Recipe Topic

The meat tasted as fresh as it would have the day they were shot.

I took a few breasts, cut them in half, wrapped each in 1/2 strip of bacon and grilled them on the Foreman tabletop grill too for a pre-dinner appetizer.

My wife loves me even more after this dinner if that's even possible... :;):

--------------
(Self proclaimed) Boots-On-The-Ground Grouse Expert.

Sometimes you gotta say the heck with it, grab a springer and just go hunting. Unknown UJ Member

If you feel you will be indignant or become hostile about having your Reply/Posts edited or deleted or Topics locked and removed please do not participate on the Upland Talk Bulletin Board.
Board Guidelines since 2002
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 2
Rhode Island Search for posts by this member.

Group: 2014 CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011,12:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've always frozen fish fillets that way, but for game meat I usually do the double cling-wrap/freezer paper combo.  The only downside I can see to the water method is that if you are freezing a lot of birds its going to take up a lot of extra space pretty quickly.

RI

--------------
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their head, you're probably doing something wrong.

- John Gierach
Top of Page Profile Contact Info Send Private Message  
 Post Number: 3
PartridgeCartridge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011,1:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(Brad Eden @ Sep. 07 2011,11:41)
But now I always freeze woodcock and (grouse) encased or entombed in water/ice inside ziplock bags. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I do the same but the water is a light brine. Brine actually freezes colder than water and doesn't affect the meat. It also draws out any blood better once you thaw them.

--------------
Upland Raconteur
"You demented little Dwarf"
-Hunshatt
Tim, you're still an Ass
-Tedder
 Post Number: 4
Wildbird Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011,2:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I'll have to try the brine method out. I had not considered that it would draw the blood out.

On a side note, do any of you use a device to find shot? I've looked at them several times.

--------------
Jason

"Grouse tastes like success, vindication, and good times to me." - trust me, circa 2011

"The 2 I did manage to flush did the typical zag when I was set up for the zig." - Tom Avent on Southern Appalachian grouse hunting
 Post Number: 5
pheasent 89 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2011,7:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Alot of guys would use the 1/2 gallon milk cartons put the bird or fish in it and fill it with water and close tit ,the carton was even extra protection . But it is hard to find cartons anymore
 Post Number: 6
x Bred Pointer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2011,8:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

The last couple of years if I know I won't be eating them for a while, I have been freezing my woodcock fully feathered with entrails left in. I squeeze 2 or 3 into a medium zip lock and place these bags into another larger bag. Fresh as can be months later. They pluck harder but it can be done.

DO NOT do this with grouse as they should be drawn shortly after shot.

--------------
Cairds Little Brynn. The next big hope.
 Post Number: 7
Ben Hong Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2011,9:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

You guys exercise tremendous restraint as I eat my woodcock the same evening or next day after they are shot. :D

--------------
I don't hunt until after noon.

If a man says something in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?
 Post Number: 8
Iver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2011,9:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I was doing the water block thing but switched to one of those air sucking sealing machines....  They seem to work great if you get the seal set properly.

--------------
bosco mctavish - Posted on: Aug. 31 2012,5:08
Stuff it, glass-boy--I want to hear from the grouse-dog people.
 Post Number: 9
Peent Search for posts by this member.

Group: MEMBER
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2011,9:25 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I hope to never freeze another woodcock.  My method this year will be to can them.
 Post Number: 10
wheil17 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2011,4:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

(PartridgeCartridge @ Sep. 07 2011,12:21)

(Brad Eden @ Sep. 07 2011,11:41)

I do the same but the water is a light brine. Brine actually freezes colder than water and doesn't affect the meat. It also draws out any blood better once you thaw them.

I do exactly the same thing. Great results.
 Post Number: 11
Mike Krol Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2011,10:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Late to the party (as usual)... I used to freeze woodcock as described in a block of ice (although I never tried the brine concept)... worked well, although I found the woodcock breast would absorb some moisture in the freezing and/or thawing process (how to tell which??)... when cooked, it just wasn't the same as a fresh woodcock.  For the past few years I have been freezing woodcock intact, feathers and entrails included... thaw and clean them on the day they are to be eaten, and I'm here to tell you, anyone would be hard pressed to tell which was the fresh woodcock and which was a year old if served side by side.  Feathers do a wonderful job of preventing freezer burn... try it, you'll pleasantly surprised with the results.

--------------
To err is human, to forgive is K9.
 Post Number: 12
SODAKer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,6:51 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

Two other options:
1. vacuum pack
2. freeze the whole bird without gutting or feathering until ready to eat.
 Post Number: 13
Laminarman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2012,7:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic.   QUOTE

I've done the water thing, thought the meat got a tad mushy but wasn't sure if it was my imagination.  PC what is your brine recipe, just lightly salted?  I am a huge vacuum packer, those rock.  For whole birds in feather, for plucked birds, for breast meat..etc.  I'm eating venison over a year old and you can't tell.  They're also great for marinating quickly.
 Post Number: 14
WI Brookie Guy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2012,7:17 Skip to the previous post in this topic.    QUOTE

(Laminarman @ Feb. 08 2012,7:39)
I've done the water thing, thought the meat got a tad mushy but wasn't sure if it was my imagination. PC what is your brine recipe, just lightly salted?

Ditto...I'm also hoping PC will share his brine recipe.

I also freeze my birds packed in water and have found the meat can get a tad mushy...but during the cooking process the moisture is generally driven out and the meat firms up a bit.

--------------
Gerard Haines

13 replies since Sep. 07 2011,11:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

Letters | Features | Departments | Photo Gallery | Upland Talk | Upland Links | Upland Gear
Upland Library | Upland Outfitters | Swap & Trade | Submissions | Contact Us | Home

2004/05 Upland Journal
Site Designed in Patnership with Insyt New Media